Reproduction Elephant Tusks

They look great!

A question on the bases though. How did he get the grain to perfectly match on the African continent cutout as on the background piece? It looks as if its a perfect "pushout" matching the grain on two different levels.

Outstanding! And worth every penny! I’ll bet you dream of the hunt every time you see them!

Yes, I relive that hunt every single day!

What is the word on importing tusks just out of curiosity? Those are beautiful.

I believe a hearing or court date was pending end of April in regards to importation, imagine it has been delayed. Will see if I can find dig up any additional details.

Ed those look very nice, thank you for sharing the details of getting them made to the costs of getting them home. As a wood/metal worker please pass a job well done to the gentleman that turned crate wood into a nice set of bases!

My wife passed on your comments to him, replied “wow, one mention in a world renowned blog and I feel famous” !

He’s a good guy and his work is impeccable, we were honored he took on the project.

They look great!

A question on the bases though. How did he get the grain to perfectly match on the African continent cutout as on the background piece? It looks as if its a perfect "pushout" matching the grain on two different levels.

He’s good! He passed on to us “it is a push out cut with a scroll saw at about a 2 degree angle”.

So your tusks remain at the taxidermy in Africa indefinitely? Are they charging a storage fee?

by the way,i also like the giraffe.

So your tusks remain at the taxidermy in Africa indefinitely? Are they charging a storage fee?

I don’t believe Taxidermy Studios are charging for storage, mine are not in storage and on display. I may see them in person again next year, TBD.

by the way,i also like the giraffe.

We found the Giraffe on my way to visit my brother in central Florida, they have all kinds of metal/painted animals including full size lions, tigers and bears...oh my!

They had a full size Zebra and foul, just about any animal you can imagine except a leopard!

@Edge they look stunning. Also the bases are beautifully done. Inspiring, thank you for sharing.

I’m finally getting around to posting the final pictures of reproduction elephant tusks cast from my originals with brass caps from TCI in Bulawayo. These tusks are from my hunt in Oct 2018 with @Nyamazana Safaris, and a link to the hunt:
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...alo-plains-game-with-nyamazana-safaris.47141/

My wife and I thought they turned out great, quite pleased with the finished product and a fitting tribute to the elephant. The wooden base is made out of the wood from the shipping crate and I’ll post a lengthy set of pictures leading to the finished product. I’ll do a summary of total costs in a follow-on post for those wondering.

Finished product:

View attachment 348572

Close up pics:

View attachment 348541 View attachment 348542 View attachment 348543

I was on my way home from a business trip and was changing planes in Atlanta, I knew the tusks had arrived a week before so gave Coppersmiths a ring and they had just cleared the tusks. I decided to drive the tusks home to the Florida Panhandle, I jumped on Priceline, reserved a pick-up, drove to the warehouse, paid the extortion fee for one crate and loaded them up:

View attachment 348532

I couldn’t wait to have a look at them, was finally able to pry the lid off with a crowbar. Lots of nails holding the crate together:

View attachment 348533

One of my wife’s co-workers is an avid wood worker and took on the job of creating wooden bases using the wood from the crate and proceeded to dismantle the crate, lots of nails!

View attachment 348571 View attachment 348566 View attachment 348537 View attachment 348570

He made us a cardboard replica for a fit-check:

View attachment 348568

Built a small replica out of wood before building the final, in comparison to the finished product:

View attachment 348552 View attachment 348567

Kept us informed of his progress:

View attachment 348549 View attachment 348539

Was able to preserve the Zimbabwe stamp for importation on the inside, a nice touch:

View attachment 348548

Wife researched the codes:

View attachment 348553

View attachment 348569

Will never forget this adventure!

View attachment 348557 View attachment 348545

Edge
So awesome!!!! Beautiful! Well done and congratulations!

I don’t believe Taxidermy Studios are charging for storage, mine are not in storage and on display. I may see them in person again next year, TBD.
Is Taxidermy studios who did your replicas?

Those look amazing. Do they feel real? You know when you tap them? I know plastic boobs dont feel the same

Those tusks look fantastic! Congratulations on a nice elephant!

TCI in Bulawayo did the replicas, not sure why I initially capitalized “taxidermy studios”.
Did they also do more for you. Like mounts of PG etc ?

Did they also do more for you. Like mounts of PG etc ?
No, I shipped everything else back to the States, just dip & pack using Andy Hunter in Harare, I highly recommend him. He was a big help with my Leopard import paperwork and only charged ~ $500 for a crate vs the extortion fees paid in South Africa.

Fantastic!

Those look great, how was the weight on the reproduction? I shot a PAC elephant and had a reproduction done, it looks great but was carved out of foam so it’s as light as a feather.

How awesome!! They look impressive!

Those look great, how was the weight on the reproduction? I shot a PAC elephant and had a reproduction done, it looks great but was carved out of foam so it’s as light as a feather.
The fiberglass is definitely heavier than foam but I don't think they weighed 52lbs each as the real tusks weighed. I didn't weigh the reproductions but I look at those tusks every single day I'm in the house!

i touch mine,the real ones,was lucky to get them home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg