Report Scam in AH Classifieds

Buyers beware… scammers are everywhere

Good afternoon AH.
I’m backing out on this purchase, buyer beware.
- Red flag #1 Seller says he only accepts Zelle, FYI there is no fraud recourse there and it’s direct from your bank account so there is no disputing the charge if you never receive the binos.
- Red Flag #2 The Zelle account is in his “son in laws name”, not his own.
- Red Flag #3 I asked for a phone number to I talk to him prior to sending funds, he gave me a number with a Connecticut area code but said he is only available for text. His profile says he is from Vermont
-Red Flag #4 he started DMing me again when I text him I still needed to talk over the phone, saying his “texts aren’t working anymore, and what do I need to know”
-Red Flag #5 the Voicemail for the number is automated and goes directly to VM when called.

I’ve been buying and selling for a long time online.
This is a scam.
Even if the account is an established one, it likely was compromised and is being hijacked by a scammer.
I reported the post and it has been deleted, but here is a screenshot of it prior to it being removed.
View attachment 481711
@hoguer, Great catch on these red flags from this scammer and thank you so much for reporting this account. They are getting more sophisticated in their technics and certainly taking their time, investing a 133 posts in various threads over 2 and a half years. Buyers beware! @Lungshot202 has been banned.

@hoguer
Good Call.
I deleted the thread. (I just went back to ban the account and J got him already.)
Here is the EXACT IMAGE posted on "Snipers hide" in 2019.
Simple Google Search....

View attachment 481713
@BRICKBURN you're an incredible sleuth to find this exact image and post on another site from 2019. :P Police:

Great work everyone!

A good way to know if the "seller" actually has what he says he has is to request a picture of the item with a piece of paper in the same picture that has his user name and today's date written on it.

A good way to know if the "seller" actually has what he says he has is to request a picture of the item with a piece of paper in the same picture that has his user name and today's date written on it.
I can send you tons of examples of decent photo shop jobs these guys are doing.
I just had one last week on SnipersHide from a WTB post I had.
See below.
Always use a form of payment that has recourse, even if you pay 1.5% (Venmo) or 3% (PayPal) more to the seller to cover costs.
it’s cheap insurance.

60FE3590-49C1-4ECE-B455-54813A44C9A2.png

The scam posts get removed so I can’t point to an example, but most recent scammers have actually done just that. Talking on phone and texting requested photo is much better.

Watch out for this scammer!

Another scammer to watch out for-
used the name OldIron13 on another forum. Gave these details, digging after the fact revealed this address used for several other scams

Name: Mason To[redacted]
Venmo tag: @Mason2399
Email: masonto[redacted]@gmail.com
Address: 2[redacted] W. O[redacted] Road, #2025,
Phoenix, AZ 85013
Phone: (520) 3[redacted]68

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch out for this scammer!

Another scammer to watch out for-
used the name OldIron13 on another forum. Gave these details, digging after the fact revealed this address used for several other scams

Name: Mason Tomei
Venmo tag: @Mason2399
Email: masontomei61@gmail.com
Address: 240 W. Osborn Road, #2025,
Phoenix, AZ 85013
Phone: (520) 365-2068
Thank you @Albert GRANT for bringing this info on this scammer here, always much appreciated as it helps our community. I just checked to see if there was an account under the username and email address that you provided though found nothing.

Scams have been rampant all over the Internet lately, a noticeable uptick on platforms like AH. Please be vigilent when purchasing here or anywhere else.

Thank you @Albert GRANT for bringing this info on this scammer here, always much appreciated as it helps our community. I just checked to see if there was an account under the username and email address that you provided though found nothing.

Scams have been rampant all over the Internet lately, a noticeable uptick on platforms like AH. Please be vigilent when purchasing here or anywhere else.
Update- after further digging, it seems that Mason Tomei is likely a stolen identity and the real guy has nothing to do with it. No shocker there, but everyone should be aware of that.

Update- after further digging, it seems that Mason Tomei is likely a stolen identity and the real guy has nothing to do with it. No shocker there, but everyone should be aware of that.
I like to go back and read similar posts from several months ago to see if the poster is actually a member and has posted before. Also to see what he has bought or sold and when.

Everytime I look for a scope or something the bad guys show up...here is another one that smells fishy?! @Peterzson
(Just joined Oct 30) and rhe language in the emails was also not normal???
BE CAREFUL and he wouldn't take PayPal unless friend (no coverage that way)
Screenshot_20221031-105940.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime I look for a scope or something the bad guys show up...here is another one that smells fishy?! @Peterzson
(Just joined Oct 30) and rhe language in the emails was also not normal???
BE CAREFUL and he wouldn't take PayPal unless friend (no coverage that way)
@SAFARIKIDD, Thank you for reporting this individual! @Peterzson has been banned.

Scopes seem to be the latest thing to scam (desirable, quick, decent money and POOF-gone!) When I asked questions of 2 prior sellers (didn't purchase) and didn't get the answers I was looking for, I passed. Get high quality scopes with great deals from EuroOptic and SWFA. The latter actually has a scope trade-in program and the former sells demo models (displayed in store and at shows.)

I thought he was banned as a scammer a while ago? I’ll only buy from established members here with meaningful posts or anyone else I’ll let the item go. The search tool gives really good insight especially when majority of posts are “welcome to AH.”

Here is post where he was banned

does anybody know this man?
Sorry to see that this may not work out well for you. Please don't post any personal info here about him (as I’m pretty sure that would violate forum rules), but do you have any general info about him that may allow us to help? Lives in such and such city, works at such and such company, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois