REPORT: Safari Taxidermy RSA Problems

Reaper

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi All,

I'd like to relate an issue that I am currently experiencing with Safari Taxidermy to get your input and advice.

In 2014 I entrusted several trophies to Safari Taxidermy for mounting. On that day they asked me to fill out a card with various details, one of which was "home address". At the time, two years ago, I was living in Switzerland. Over the past six months I have been in the process of selling my home in Switzerland and relocating to a second country.
A few months back, I received an email from Safari Taxidermy informing that my trophies were ready for shipment and for me to confirm the delivery address. I informed them that I was not able to give them this info at the time due to my situation, but that I would revert ASAP - and asked them to withhold shipment in the mean time. To this email, I did not receive a reply - therefore I assumed that my instructions would be followed.

This morning I received an email from the shipping company informing me that the trophies had arrived in Denmark and would be forwarded to my old address from two years ago. Also that I needed to pay approx $2000 for the shipping and handling charges.

In your experience is this the way things work (shipments made without advising the client ahead of time, not informing him of the cost, not asking for confirmation of the charges)?

Thank you for your input.

I my limited experience of shipping trophies home, once from SA and once from NZ, both times the communication was excellent and everything was spelled out and I was notified. Usually, they wont ship your crate until paid, then you have to work out with a company in your home country to receive and process for you, then work out other options for delivery. That has been my experience

One aspect that surprises (disregarding the whole wrong address issue) me is that they never even informed me of the cost of shipping before hand. Usually you get a quote, and if it is a bit high, you can shop around and get other quotes. But here, they just sent them and told me to pay the bill.

Yes, surprising for sure, especially not even telling you what it would cost

The trophies should have never been shipped! That being said one can assume nothing when dealing with trophy shipment.
I'm very surprised that the shipping company moved anything without payment!

Did you instruct them to ship the trophies during your initial contact?

Every shipment I have had from Africa required payment up front. Obviously, this can only happen after a quote has been forwarded for your agreement and payment of the invoice.

Taxidermists have suggested shipping companies and I tried one of the suggested shippers once. By the time the crate got to Joburg the price changed.
There mistake on proper routing. They assumed I was a US citizen.
How can you trust someone with an international shipment that can not even confirm the destination before quoting a rate. Only after having your trophies to be held hostage the price increases. I immediately contacted my trusted shipper and had the crate transferred to them to handle the remaining work. From that point forward, every RSA shipment has gone with them.

One Namibian shipping company sent me an invoice after full payment and the shipment had been received by me. Incredulous, that someone would attempt to invoice you extra after the fact because they apparently made a mistake of some sort. Needless to say, they had already been paid in full as quotedand were getting no further funds from me.

At this point you are going to have to contact the taxidermist and see if they will take responsibility for their decisions. Sadly, your trophies are hostage now.
I hope the taxidermist is honourable and takes responsibility for their mistake.

No. I did not provided a delivery address. I did however list my registered legal address and telephone on the contact form along. I can only assume that they assumed that I wanted the trophies delivered to that address.

In december of last year, I received an email from the shipping company asking for the delivery address. I informed them that I was not able to provide them one for now, and I would revert asap.

I just called the shipping company, they seem to be helpful and understand that someone in SA was not paying attention. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

Hope you do get everything resolved.

No. I did not provided a delivery address. I did however list my registered legal address and telephone on the contact form along. I can only assume that they assumed that I wanted the trophies delivered to that address.

In december of last year, I received an email from the shipping company asking for the delivery address. I informed them that I was not able to provide them one for now, and I would revert asap.

I just called the shipping company, they seem to be helpful and understand that someone in SA was not paying attention. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

Just checking. I always ask the obvious, just in case.
Somebody screwed up seriously and I hope you get it resolved.
Let us know.

It is the responsibility of the shipper to confirm an address!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to be paid I would think that you would want the shipment to end up with the owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!