REPORT: Hicks Taxidermy Reviews?

clynn

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I'll be leaving for my first safari in Namibia in a couple of months and I'm beginning the education process on shipping and African game taxidermy. I'm concerned that the nice lady that mounts my ducks isn't up to the task of shoulder mounting a Kudu. For that reason, I've started looking for someone that specializes in this area, but is reasonable with rates. I've come across Hicks Taxidermy in Tuscaloosa, AL. I spoke with Mr. Hicks and he seems very knowledgeable and the transfer agent knew him by name because they send trophies to him regularly. Has anyone used him before that could give me a reference on his work?

Thanks for any input.

Chris

I doubt that you will get many responses from members here that have used Hicks Taxidermy but there can be some that have.

What I would do is to talk to Hicks Taxidermy and ask them for some of their clients names and phone numbers that they have done African mounts for and then give them a call and see if you could drop by and take a look at their work.

clynn you might ask the man if you can visit his studio! Take a look at what he is doing!

His studio is about 4 hours away, so it wouldn't be like stopping by on the way home from work. JimP, I'll likely end up doing just that if he has any references close by. It was a shot in the dark to see if anyone else on the forum had any experience. I appreciate your feedback.

I get it! I'm going four hours each way next weekend to visit a studio! I plan on having the man do a leopard but I want to see his stuff first! To me it's worth the trip.

Have you thought about getting them done in Namibia ??
Just got my last bill for my animals doe by Namib Taxidermy CC .
They are finally ready and can be shipped home when i clear the bill .
If i was paying in american dollars the account would be very reasonable !!
If you want i can pm you the account for somthing to go on .
Cheers Dory .

Dory, most of what I have read strongly recommends that you do not have them done in country due to the potential of damage/poor workmanship without recourse and increased cost of shipping a finished product. As stated, I'm just now learning and only know what I've read. How has your experience been thus far? I'm open to the concept, but it seems like a widely held opinion to have them done back in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg