Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hi Folks,

My FN Commercial has a trigger like this:

1619503768535.png
1619503806001.png

What I would like to do is have a trigger that doesn't have a safety on it. (I have got a Winchester Model 70 Style 3 position safety installed on the bolt).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a drop in trigger? The Timney Sportsman 101 is just a bit too wide to fit between the rear hangers.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Scrumbag,

You can take out the safety part and keep this excelent FN factory trigger. I did it myself in my FN-AKAH 30-06. The ONLY thing that is needed to do is to put two washers of the same thickness instead of the safety plate. Done! I will upload some pictures of this.

Best

CF

Hello Scrumbag,

You can take out the safety part and keep this excelent FN factory trigger. I did it myself in my FN-AKAH 30-06. The ONLY thing that is needed to do is to put two washers of the same thickness instead of the safety plate. Done! I will upload some pictures of this.

Best

CF
Very kind!

Hello Scrumbag,

Here are the pictures. The two washers can be easely seen.
This trigger is a little jewel, all steel, solid and really fool proof. Not to change anything but the safety to use a Winchester 70 type, a normal Mauser 98 one, or the previous FN mounted on the bolt, as I preffer. It works as the Winchester 70 pre 64 trigger.

Good luck!

FN-Trigger-1.jpg
FN-Trigger-2.jpg
FN-Trigger-3.jpg
FN-Trigger-4.jpg

@Clodo Ferreira,

Thank you so much, that is very helpful.

Can you remember the washer thickness? Please bear in mind I want to put this on my 404 Jeffery so this needs to be reliable.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Hi Scrumbag,

Here. 1,5 mm is the safety plate thickness. I think you can use washers of 1,5 to 1,6 mm may be better the later to avoid any play.
Good luck !

20210429-162608.jpg

Hi Scrumbag,

Thinking a little further, you can also make and use a single narrow plate of that thickness with two holes made at the same distance and of the same diameter of the ones in that part of the safety. Anyway, the two washers work great.

Good luck

CF

Hi Folks,

My FN Commercial has a trigger like this:

View attachment 399039View attachment 399041

What I would like to do is have a trigger that doesn't have a safety on it. (I have got a Winchester Model 70 Style 3 position safety installed on the bolt).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a drop in trigger? The Timney Sportsman 101 is just a bit too wide to fit between the rear hangers.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
In Australia if we had that trouble we wouldn't waste money on a new trigger we would just remover the safety ourselves or get a gunsmith to doit for 10 bucks.
Bob

@Clodo Ferreira,

Thank you so much, that is very helpful.

Can you remember the washer thickness? Please bear in mind I want to put this on my 404 Jeffery so this needs to be reliable.

Best wishes,

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
Mate it's that simple even a Welshman with a basic knowledge of how a manually operated coal shovel works can do it.
That's why the invented micrometers to measure the gap my friend.
If you like send it to me I'm sure I could do it with an angle grinder, a 4 inch nails to knock the pins out and a 6 # sledge hammer.
Reassembly is easy. Areldite, welder and grinder.
Bob completed.
Bob

@Scrumbag
Mate it's that simple even a Welshman with a basic knowledge of how a manually operated coal shovel works can do it.
That's why the invented micrometers to measure the gap my friend.
If you like send it to me I'm sure I could do it with an angle grinder, a 4 inch nails to knock the pins out and a 6 # sledge hammer.
Reassembly is easy. Areldite, welder and grinder.
Bob completed.
Bob
Bob, if air travel was easier (blasted Covid) I'd certainly take you up on that kind offer...

Agreed... Use that trigger if you can! That is either a copy of design theory of the Win 70 trigger or a case of parallel development/evolution. Simple, reliable and foolproof! IMO, the best hunting rifle trigger every designed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg