Replacement Stock

Michael Dean

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Twenty five years ago I purchased a wonderful 375 H&H Colt Sauer. The rifle in short is just about as close as you can get to perfect in a number of ways. Sadly, last year I realized that I had a hairline crack in the stock right where you grip the rifle behind the action. The rifle has one of the best actions I've ever found, the bolt slides like glass and the action is flawless. In short, I don't want to put the rifle in the safe and forget about it. What I want to do is find a quality stock that will do the barrelled action justice.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I just want my favorite rifle back in action.

What's your budget?

Are you looking for something custom? Or just something functional that's not ugly?

Easy repair by a competent gunmaker - and much less than a new stock.

How bad is the crack, maybe post a pic

Easy repair by a competent gunmaker - and much less than a new stock.
Exactly!
That split at wrist/behind tang is one of the most common and can be repaired to a condition actually stronger than original. If not bedded correctly a "new" replacement may very well crack in the same manner over time.

I dropped my rifle recently and broke the stock in the place you are describing. My gunsmith was able to repair it with epoxy and a steel rod through the stock on the inside. As Red Leg mentioned, it is stronger than the original wood.

You Might look into a Boyds Stock even if you go for a wood upgrade and a few other goodies you should still be under 200.00

If I can get the original fixed so that it's functional and the repair can't be seen, I'll go for it. I just moved to Scottsdale Arizona so I'll have to find a good gun smith. If anyone knows a gun smith in Phoenix, it would be greatly appreciated.

How bad is the crack, maybe post a pic
The damage is essentially a hairline crack right at the pistol grip. You can tell because the finish on the rifle is a white crooked line in that spot.

I'd also suggest a repair rather than replacement. Just make sure the gunsmith knows what he's doing, and it should be as good as new.

Greetings from Kodiak. The Colt imported Sauer is the same as the Sauer 80 or Grand African in larger calibers. I come across take off stocks frequently and will keep you in mind. Usually in unused condition.

Welcome to AH Moosemind!

Check Boyds Hardwood Gun Stocks in Mitchell, South Dakota. They may make one for your model. They are awesome stocks and I have two. Various styles.

Hello All
A question to all of you who have access to a wide variety of reloading propellants... Can the 7x57 be loaded with H4831SC? I use the heavier bullets such as the Nosler 160 gr AccuBond. I live in South Africa and this is one of the US propellants I have access to. I know that propellants in the medium to slow-medium burn rate, like IMR 4350 are usually recommended for use in this cartridge.

Very interested in your opinions, hopefully based on experience!

I know this may have been previously covered before on the AH forum...

I have a DWM M98 acction with a Lothar Walther barrel in this caliber and I leave in just over two weeks for the Tuli Block in Botswana and I 'need' to take this rifle for a walk...

Thanks!

Greetings from Kodiak. The Colt imported Sauer is the same as the Sauer 80 or Grand African in larger calibers. I come across take off stocks frequently and will keep you in mind. Usually in unused condition.

That would be terrific, thanks.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.