Repair or replace?

Would you keep it as is (repaired) or replace the skin?

• Repair

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Replace

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yhc

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria, South Africa
Good morning. I have been working with @LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY for the past few months to have my hunting party's trophies worked on. We have been very pleased with their communication and speedy progress with our trophies.
I will post another thread detailing our positive experiences with @LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY in the near future.

But for now, I would like to ask for your opinion. My 2nd gemsbok I hunted from my trip in May had a mange looking area behind his left ear & horn. Of course we did not notice it until we had the animal down on the ground.

Gemsbock L ear (2).jpg

Gemsbock L ear.jpg

Guy and his team from Life-Form are finishing up with our trophies now and did an excellent job in repairing it by replacing the animal's left ear by doing a "transplant".

Ear repaired (2)[21612].jpg

Repaired Behind ears[21613].jpg

Ear repaired (1)[21611].jpg

Since the stitching is still visible up close, Guy is offering an option to replace the skin altogether at no cost. Though the team did an excellent job repairing it, I am leaning towards replacing the skin as the best option. However, I thought it would be interesting to hear from you guys to see as to what you would do and why.

Would you keep it as is (repaired) or replace the skin?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, I would have kept the skin the way it was. I would not replace the hide because that is not the hide of the animal I shot. I am very particular when it comes to taxidermy, I'll mount the animal with all the scars, imperfections, and what not.

I hear you PARA45. However, the left ear already has been replaced so keeping the skin as it was is not an option. I also understand what you mean about the hide not belonging to the actual animal I shot. That's the biggest reason for not having pulled the trigger to replace the skin yet....

I would keep it as a small reminder of the original cape! Plus an interesting tidbit to talk about if someone mentioned the stitches. But at the end of the day you’ve got to do what you can live with!

It's all up to you on what you do. I like the imperfections on the mount that come out just the same as it was when I shot the animal. Even after replacing the ear it may be alright but pictures don't show just what you might see when the mount is hanging above your head in your home.

I have a impala that had a very dark spot above a eye, that was one of the first things that I noticed when we walked up on him once he was on the ground. I told my taxidermist that it needed to stay

Thanks for the input Jim, Justin and PARA45. Your input is much appreciated.

The main reason I say replace is I shot a sable back in 2014 and had my trophies dipped and packed and mounted in the states. When my taxidermist saw my sable had hair slippage from too long in the humid Mozambique sun he called and told me he could find a replacement with little trouble but I told him to use mine because it was the one I shot. Now every time I look at it it bothers me to see a couple of big painted bald spots! A little different situation but close.

43CEDAF7-719B-476F-B48F-755107B9A381.jpeg
If you notice the left horn tip on this oryx you will see that it is frayed/broken. It would have been an easy fix for my taxidermist but I decided to leave it as he fell. Had I slammed it in the tailgate like most of my fishing rods I would have fixed it.
In your case I believe I would at this point just go for a replacement cape as the ear has been transplanted anyway. If there would have been an option to leave it original, I would have done that.

I'm with those that say leave it as is, it's part of the story.

Stick with what you have now done on the mount it can only become a story teller.

Ultimately its what you want that matters. I do say lifeform did a great repair, you know the stitches are there but when its feet up the wall will they really be noticeable? Or do you want a perfect mount? If so replace.

As for me I mount every thing same as it was shot, scares, color and blemishes.

MB

Stick with it as is.

Thank you all for your input. After giving a careful consideration, I have decided to keep it at its current state. As many of you have mentioned, having another cape would be less meaningful to me. Also, I think Guy and his crew did a fantastic job in doing the "transplant".

One of the local taxidermists told me about his "8 feet rule". He wisely said that once a trophy is hung on the wall and you are 8 feet away from it, many of "imperfections" will not be noticed.

Thanks again and I wish you a great rest of the week.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.