Remington Core Lokt?

I agree, the WW 270 gr .375" Power Point is IMO the best factory load for the H&H. Too bad WW went in business with Nosler and replaced the PP with that other thing. Several years back Bill Steigers conducted a test of .375" bullets and the PP results compared favorably with all others available at the time. Bill's only derogatory comment about them were that they had the "BC of a brick".
For real, the ammo companies seem hell bent on elimination of inexpensive bullets in all calibers.
I have shot all my elk with 225gr. .338WM Core Lokts. I have seen one running bull taken with a150gr. .270 Win Core Lokt. Apparently, they won't work in Africa due to being closer to the equator and the change in the magnetic field, so I'm graduating to 225gr. TTSXs. All copper bullets aren't affected by magnetic change.
Core lokt have worked well for me in the 300 WM. I had a failure in the .308 on a very close shot. The problem with getting elitist on bullets is that you lose all of the good ones to practice with such as the Hornady interbonds and Sierras.
I have no problem with the build and performance of the Core-lokt bullets in the right game and with proper velocities but here's the last (not 'last' as in most recent but 'last' as in never again) Remington Core-lokt load I shot at a game animal...no bullet performs well at velocities of 0 fps...It sounds made-up but it was the first hunting shot I ever took using a double rifle. Luckily, all I had to do was cycle the safety to shoot the other barrel. I dropped an 8-point whitetail with a 180 grain Nosler ballistic-tip from the top barrel. I've been a Nosler fan ever since.

View attachment 449720
Unrealistic condemnation of an entire line of ammunition based upon one round failing to fire. Good thing you hedged your bets with an entirely different brand of ammo. That's strange to me using two different bullets on whitetail. What's the theory at work there?

Unrealistic condemnation of an entire line of ammunition based upon one round failing to fire. Good thing you hedged your bets with an entirely different brand of ammo. That's strange to me using two different bullets on whitetail. What's the theory at work there?
Unfair maybe but then again, it's the only brand of rifle ammunition that has ever failed me. It would have cost me the only deer I shot at all season if it weren't for the rifle I was shooting. I was on the way to switching anyway because of the second part of your question...the Over barrel of my 1981 Browning Superpose shoots 4" higher than the under barrel at the same distance. Thankfully windage differences are, for all practical purposes, nil. I could try to find someone to regulate the gun for me but a simple solution was to shoot a 150 grain in the under barrel and a 180 in the over barrel. Here's a 2 shot group and a four shot group shooting the disparate loads...I hated the idea at first but I've gone to a Federal Premium with a 150 grain Nosler accubond in the bottom and a 180 grain Nosler loaded BT in the top. The neat thing is the Federal has a nickel-plated cartridge with a white tip and the Nosel is regular brass with a green tip. It's very easy to get the right bullet in the right barrel and the both have to same point of impact at 100 yards, and according the ballastic tables, they are only 0.1" apart at 300 yards. And, if I make it to Africa, I won't mind being able to pick the 180 for a wildebeest and the 150 for an impala...

51608138045_e940f989f0_w.jpg
51205123341_2042ae824b_w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfair maybe but then again, it's the only brand of rifle ammunition that has ever failed me. It would have cost me the only deer I shot at all season if it weren't for the rifle I was shooting. I was on the way to switching anyway because of the second part of your question...the Over barrel of my 1981 Browning Superpose shoots 4" higher than the under barrel at the same distance. Thankfully windage differences are, for all practical purposes, nil. I could try to find someone to regulate the gun for me but a simple solution was to shoot a 150 grain in the under barrel and a 180 in the over barrel. Here's a 2 shot group and a four shot group shooting the disparate loads...I hated the idea at first but I've gone to a Federal Premium with a 150 grain Nosler accubond in the bottom and a 180 grain Nosler loaded BT in the top. The neat thing is the Federal has a nickel-plated cartridge with a white tip and the Nosel is regular brass with a green tip. It's very easy to get the right bullet in the right barrel and the both have to same point of impact at 100 yards, and according the ballastic tables, they are only 0.1" apart at 300 yards. And, if I make it to Africa, I won't mind being able to pick the 180 for a wildebeest and the 150 for an impala...

View attachment 454487View attachment 454488

Well we're going to have stop you there and redirect. You're not going to like this truth bomb. Your lack of preparation for adversity would have cost you the only shot you had at the deer and not the ammunition. It could have happened with any brand. You failed to train yourself in remedial action. I have killed two deer in the same engagement with a single shot rifle with and extractor. A T/C Encore in 300 Win Mag. It is not an easy task with cold hands to pull the one shell clear and slap the other home and recock the rifle, however I managed. The secret was in my preparation. I had fired my rifle over sixty times before I ever took it in the field. I had practiced reloading over and over as rapidly as I could so that I could hit the reload if and when I needed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Core Lokt Ultra is a fantastic bullet. Essentially a bonded soft point. It holds together and expands consistently. I used them on a zebra cull in Zimbabwe and very impressed. I have a horde of them and will buy any time I see a box online or at the gun store. 180 grain 30-06 is what look for.

Well we're going to have stop you there and redirect. You're not going to like this truth bomb. Your lack of preparation for adversity would have cost you the only shot you had at the deer and not the ammunition. It could have happened with any brand. You failed to train yourself in remedial action. I have killed two deer in the same engagement with a single shot rifle with and extractor. A T/C Encore in 300 Win Mag. It is not an easy task with cold hands to pull the one shell clear and slap the other home and recock the rifle, however I managed. The secret was in my preparation. I had fired my rifle over sixty times before I ever took it in the field. I had practiced reloading over and over as rapidly as I could so that I could hit the reload if and when I needed it.

Thanks for the lecture. Tell your wife you schooled a guy on the internet. I'm sure she'll be proud of you. Tell her I even said, "good job and thank you."

The deer is dead and I'm never buying Remington ammunition again. And, you didn't even ask about the circumstances or the terrain but I'm sure you would have managed. You're the greatest.

Thanks for the lecture. Tell your wife you schooled a guy on the internet. I'm sure she'll be proud of you. Tell her I even said, "good job and thank you."

The deer is dead and I'm never buying Remington ammunition again. And, you didn't even ask about the circumstances or the terrain but I'm sure you would have managed. You're the greatest.
Probably not, because I don't have a double rifle to offset my life choices.
You are correct. I failed to inquire about the terrain and conditions. Two different bullets for two different situations. Okay, we're all ears tell us how it all makes sense.

Probably not, because I don't have a double rifle to offset my life choices.
You are correct. I failed to inquire about the terrain and conditions. Two different bullets for two different situations. Okay, we're all ears tell us how it all makes sense.

You're trying to use someone else, me in this case, to make you feel better about yourself. I'm not here for that. Don't bother to respond because I won't see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross