Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am planning on picking up a box of these to try in my 30-06. From what I have read they seem very good. And, at $15 a box cheaper than the other bonded offerings out there, I am thinking they are a great deal. So, I am wondering what the catch is...Anyone have any real world experience with these particular bonded bullets?

I love the straight Core-lokts but I could not get these bonded bullets to work in my rifle.
No idea why. I just moved on to another solution.

From what I've read, Remington said on market release that these bullets were not their most accurate. From the pictures I've seen of shot bullets, it's a bit hard to tell that they're bonded. I just don't buy that they retain 95% of their weight. If I wasn't going with an A-Frame, North Fork or TSX/TTSX, I'd look at the Accubonds. The AB's have proven very accurate in the various calibers I've shot them in.

Pheroze, I don't know if your getting these for deer hunting or for Africa. If it's Africa, buy the best bullet that works best in your rifle. An extra $30 or so means nothing compared to the trophy fee for a lost animal.

The Accubonds work well, at least in 9.3x62!
Taking TSX next time in my PG rifle, a .284 Win. They shoot great in this rifle like they do in pretty much every rifle.

I love the straight Core-lokts but I could not get these bonded bullets to work in my rifle.
No idea why. I just moved on to another solution.

Agree with BRICK.

I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original Core Lokt bullets. I have cleanly harvested a number of animals using them. The one time I tried the new Ultra bond bullets was in the 30-06, and as has been previously stated they lacked in accuracy.

Pheroze, I don't know if your getting these for deer hunting or for Africa. If it's Africa, buy the best bullet that works best in your rifle. An extra $30 or so means nothing compared to the trophy fee for a lost animal.

The sad truth is that the opportunity to hunt here is limited. And, even if I get into the field I don't always pull the trigger. My idea was to find a bullet I could use for the PG hunt in Africa and use it on everything I could here (Coyote, hogs, deer, moose, rabbit whatever) and at the range. By focusing on getting the experience with the bullet I would be comfortable with the setup by the time I get the planning off the ground for Africa. I thought that if these bonded core-lokts shot well then their price allows for many sessions at the range so long as their performance was appropriate for the ultimate goal.

I have tried the Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded in 223 and 30-06.

First of all was the accuracy far from as good as I demand in my guns.
In my 223 Remington 7 Predator, the ammo shot 3 shot groups at 2-3" while it shoots Barnes Vor-tex sub 1" 5 shot groups.
In my 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite SS, the ammo had about the same accuracy as in the 223 and that gun usually shoots any other ammo at about 1"

I have never tried the ammo on animals because of the lack of accuracy, but I think it will perform appropriate for most animals, but I would choose to use something else on Moose and on a PG hunt.

There is so much amazing experience on this website and I have read through a bunch of stuff on ammo. Norwegianwoods, your experience with Core-Lokt Bonded sounds consistent with others. When I started down this path I was looking for the "best" caliber and the "best" bullet. After reading and learning I believe that the tried and true is the place to begin. With the 30-06, a partition bullet has been tried and true. I doubt I will appreciate the latest technology until I get much more time in with the old guard. I think my desire to use the new stuff is really, in part, a lack of understanding about how effective the more traditional calibers/bullets are. Now the challenge is just getting out to the field so that when I get to Africa I really know what I can do with my setup. The more I use my 30-06 A-Bolt the more I appreciate it. I have to say that I am really looking forward to this season.

Those are very good bonded core bullets.

Remington is now loading Barnes TSX in their ammo. I've seen 30-06. Don't remember the caliber but if you can get -06 you can't go wrong with that bullet.

Remington is now loading Barnes TSX in their ammo. I've seen 30-06. Don't remember the caliber but if you can get -06 you can't go wrong with that bullet.

I am a huge believer in Barnes TSX. OTH, I have never had a problem with the old Remington corloks. Elk/whitetail/zebra It does the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vilianagmp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg