Remington Arms is insolvent

Correct me if I’m in error, but as I recall Cerberus has the Freedom Arms division/group which consists of Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Marlin, and seems like it was Dakota Arms for their premium line.
I have read the Sandy Hook lawsuits are what financially strapped the company even though they were found to be not responsible. It is interesting to me that a suit can happen against a firearm company, but not a cellphone company for an accident killing others while texting, nor an auto company for accidents by reckless drivers, nor pressure cooker companies for bombs made of them, etc, etc.
I’m sure some of you are lawyers, but IMO a product is an inanimate item not responsible for a human’s misuse of it. Only stupid or sick is responsible. JMO

There you go using logic...

He is just glad he didn't load up on expensive ar's which are selling cheap now.

Which is exactly why I am buying them right now..

I've picked up 2 stripped lowers in the last 30 days.. and will pick up 2 or 3 more in the next month or two I am sure..

AR's rise in value faster than gold has over the past few years the next time a dem takes the white house.. and will shoot back up to $1000+ for basic model rifles..

You can build one today for $450 pretty easy though.. or pick one up at your favorite FFL for $500-$550..

I really dont really know much about them. If you have one in say 308 can you change it to anything based on that case by buying a different barrel or upper

You can turn a .308 into a 6.5CM pretty easily.. just swap out the upper.. all the lower components, magazines, etc.. remain the same..

Same thing with the 5.56/.223 AR's.. you can convert one to 300BLK and a few other things by simply swapping out uppers..

A lot of rounds based on 308 case. 243 all the way to 358. Would be a neat if you could come up with about four different calibers.

Between the Model 700 trigger recall and the absolute disaster of the new R51 a few years back I can't see anyone buying many Remington branded products. Aside from a pair 1911s they are none-existent in the pistol and CCW market.

They've got 100 million in DIP financing when they file for Chapter 11 so they will stay in business. I doubt they'll be producing any 17 Fireball brass for a while though. Financials for the bankruptcy are in the attached pdf file.

Attachments

• ComprehensiveFinancialRestructuring.pdf
    216.2 KB · Views: 168
Does that mean no more Remington firearms and ammo?

No. Remington won’t be closing their doors.

They are filing a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. This allows them to restructure their debt while remaining in business.

It will make them vulnerable for takeover though. Cerberus (the parent company that currently owns Remington) has already made the announcement that they will give up control of the company as soon as the bankruptcy is complete.

So the question is who will be the new owner? And what is their vision for the company moving forward?

Does that mean no more Remington firearms and ammo?
I have never been dissatisfied with my Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag.
But I don't know anyone from my hunting background who's been using a Remington gun lately.
When a bride is asleep for a long time, no prince come to kiss you awake today.
Tradition or not.

I have used Remington rifles my entire life. Never had a problem with one. I haven't purchased any late model rifles, so I don't know about the quality or issues with them.

I have used Remington rifles my entire life. Never had a problem with one. I haven't purchased any late model rifles, so I don't know about the quality or issues with them.

I know big green has had their share of quality concerns lately.. but Im in the same boat with you @Brent in Az .. I've owned several remington shotguns and rifles in my life and never had a problem with any of them..

In fact, bar none the most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a 700 Sendero in .308 that I bought in the late 90's.. I could cover a 5 shot group with a dime easily at 100 yards when shooting Federal Gold Medal Match ammo... That rifle was an incredible tack driver..

Remington's Wingmaster shotgun was one of the finest pump shotguns ever made!

I had read this discussion earlier on and had nothing to add except that I own and love a couple of very good albeit older remington 700 rifles in 7mm-08 and .300.
Then yesterday I was at a favorite local gunstore and picked up on of the modern 700 LR versions. Some ideas ran through my head and I decided to own one. Played with the floor model awhile, liked some of the innovations. I chose the .30-06 for several reasons and took the new wonderful box home. Pulled it out of the box and threw it up to my shoulder-Ummmmm, the barrel is (no exaggeration needed) BENT. I even pulled out the yardstick to verify my suspicion. No s@# bent. Took it back to the store where I have done plenty of business and three guys working the counter confirm that the barrel is sure enough bent. Mind you this is brand new, heavy barrel from a sealed box. The manager tells the nice worker to get me a new rifle. We unseal the new box and surprise surprise, also bent. Now I am getting quesy about the new rifle and thinking my wife might be right and I could have just bought her a new washing machine. . . So the counter guy brings up two new boxes and we have a box opening party. The only one that isn't bent is from a different and older lot number.
I'm ready to leave the store by now and they are offering to refund or give me the straight barreled rifle. THe gunstore buys are cool and other customers sharing a wealth of ideas. Well I don't want to shop for a new washing machine so I take the rifle. But the manager encourages me to stay a few minutes as the remington sales rep is in the area and coming to the store. So not much later the guy walks in and starts looking at bent barrels. "First time for this. . ." I believe him. Sadly he ignores me completely and deals only with the manager. Doesn't even offer to buy me a coke for my wasted time and gas money. You might think he would have made some sort of "gosh no wonder we are going bankrupt, here is a coupon for $50 off your next remington rifle purchase" type of gesture. Nope. And so i scooped up my box and tell the counter guy that Im off to the gunsmith to have a Timney trigger installed as I know without even trying how bad the newest attempt at a good trigger from remington is going to turn out. And thats my current opinion of Remington. . .

I had read this discussion earlier on and had nothing to add except that I own and love a couple of very good albeit older remington 700 rifles in 7mm-08 and .300.
Then yesterday I was at a favorite local gunstore and picked up on of the modern 700 LR versions. Some ideas ran through my head and I decided to own one. Played with the floor model awhile, liked some of the innovations. I chose the .30-06 for several reasons and took the new wonderful box home. Pulled it out of the box and threw it up to my shoulder-Ummmmm, the barrel is (no exaggeration needed) BENT. I even pulled out the yardstick to verify my suspicion. No s@# bent. Took it back to the store where I have done plenty of business and three guys working the counter confirm that the barrel is sure enough bent. Mind you this is brand new, heavy barrel from a sealed box. The manager tells the nice worker to get me a new rifle. We unseal the new box and surprise surprise, also bent. Now I am getting quesy about the new rifle and thinking my wife might be right and I could have just bought her a new washing machine. . . So the counter guy brings up two new boxes and we have a box opening party. The only one that isn't bent is from a different and older lot number.
I'm ready to leave the store by now and they are offering to refund or give me the straight barreled rifle. THe gunstore buys are cool and other customers sharing a wealth of ideas. Well I don't want to shop for a new washing machine so I take the rifle. But the manager encourages me to stay a few minutes as the remington sales rep is in the area and coming to the store. So not much later the guy walks in and starts looking at bent barrels. "First time for this. . ." I believe him. Sadly he ignores me completely and deals only with the manager. Doesn't even offer to buy me a coke for my wasted time and gas money. You might think he would have made some sort of "gosh no wonder we are going bankrupt, here is a coupon for $50 off your next remington rifle purchase" type of gesture. Nope. And so i scooped up my box and tell the counter guy that Im off to the gunsmith to have a Timney trigger installed as I know without even trying how bad the newest attempt at a good trigger from remington is going to turn out. And thats my current opinion of Remington. . .
Sadly, this is a bit “par for the course” from Remington in recent years. I have a number of older Remington firearms and like them quite well. I used to like Remington, the company. I desperately hope this Chapter 11 and restructuring turns things around and breathes new life into a grand old name in the gun business. Remington being where they are now is absolutely no shock at all. You can only produce crap and piss off customers for so long before the chickens come home to roost.

Very sad situation, not only for you, but who knows how many. I still have an old model 78 Sportsman (cheap version of the 700) in 30-06 that shoots several factory and handloads in 1/2”. Also a 7600 pump in 30-06 (my dark timber gun) that shoots handloads into 3/4”.
I’ve probably owned a half dozen (mostly 30-06) Remington’s and they’ve all shot well.

@Firebird, That is sad. A few years back I bought two new actions for semi-custom builds. Cycling the action felt rough and the metal looked like it was finished with 80 grit paper. They went back on gunbroker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!