Remington 798 375 H&H

its so cheap and easy to hand load, why not start? it costs around $200 to get started depending on what cartridge your loading for. ive yet to meet a person who has had a good excuse not to hand load other then they are simply too lazy. if you are too lazy to hand load then check out http://www.superiorammo.com/ they will make pretty much anything you ask for.

if you decide you wish to hand load, feel free to shoot me a PM and ill help you get started.

-matt

Geez, way to drop the gauntlet! I have been looking at it and I just might take you up on that kind offer.

Oh boy...so i decided to buy this rifle and I was satisfied. I thought I negotiated a decent price, I like the deep checkering and comfortable recoil pad. I like the laminate stock. Anyways, off to the range. It shoots well but that iron sight is crap. After, a few sessions I decided to put on a shoulder strap.

*pop* off comes the barrel band. Just slid right off the barrelo_O

Call the vendor, they say they are authorized to do warranty repairs and I send it to them...two months later with sporadic emails....then they tell me they cannot get the "part" because Remington no longer makes the gun o_Oo_O So, I call Remington USA and they refer me to their Canadian operation here, Gravel Agency. Get on the phone with a very curt fellow who initially denies the existence of a version with a barrel band :mad: So, I tell him to google it and sure enough it does exist! :eek: However, this revelation does not change his rude tone throughout the conversation...gun not made anymore blah, blah ...they are the only Canadian authorized repair shop...wait, what was that? Now I get the warning that any unauthorized repairs will void the warranty. :mad::mad: He does confirm that they have extended the courtesy to other gunsmiths to do minor fixes. But, he requires a warranty repair request form to be completed along with photos and then they will "consider their options"....Personally, I would have thought this type of cock-up would be embarrassing for Remington, what with all those triggers and all...Quality control? I am getting the distinct impression I am not valued as a current or future customer. The approach is more of a "we don't believe you" rather than "lets find a solution to this ridiculous problem"

I can see the future (I have that gift) I see myself mired in six more weeks of BS then paying for work at a different place....:Banghead:

I really liked that 22" barrel too :cry:

I am thinking of just having a swivel installed in the tip of the foregrip and being done with it.:unsure:

I think I would turn the rifle over to the nearest competent smith and have them sweat that thing right back on again and forget it. How did you get one with a 22 inch barrel? All I have ever seen written about had 26" bbls. I sure would not throw in the towel over this issue, just get it fixed.

Pheroze,

Thanks for posting this. I am certainly interested in a Remington IF I ever go the DG route. I have three different Remington 700s and one Winchester model 70. I like all of my Remingtons better than the Winchester. I have no interest in the historical significance of a round (i.e., 375 HH vs. 375 Ruger vs. 375 Weatherby). I have no interest in hand loading. I have no interest is having to shoot 100s of rounds at a range to learn a new gun/system. I think the push feed issue is overblown. I want a gun that I can take to the range sight it in and go hunting. For me that will be a Remington ... probably one of the 700 African Big Game from their custom shop in 416 Rem Mag (a slight historical homage to my first gun, a .410 shotgun) instead of the 798. But, the discussion has been informative!!!

I just need to save enough to afford the trip to justify the purchase :)!

It is the 798 Safari Grade which came with the shorter barrel. I can see wanting to tweak it a bit more (a better set of open sights) but I like it.

I thought this was an easy fix but two months went by before they told me about the fact they could not get the part. The band that slid off was not damaged in any way, so why not reuse it? I am at a loss to understand why this is complicated.

Pheroze,

Thanks for posting this. I am certainly interested in a Remington IF I ever go the DG route. I have three different Remington 700s and one Winchester model 70. I like all of my Remingtons better than the Winchester. I have no interest in the historical significance of a round (i.e., 375 HH vs. 375 Ruger vs. 375 Weatherby). I have no interest in hand loading. I have no interest is having to shoot 100s of rounds at a range to learn a new gun/system. I think the push feed issue is overblown. I want a gun that I can take to the range sight it in and go hunting. For me that will be a Remington ... probably one of the 700 African Big Game from their custom shop in 416 Rem Mag (a slight historical homage to my first gun, a .410 shotgun) instead of the 798. But, the discussion has been informative!!!

I just need to save enough to afford the trip to justify the purchase :)!

The fellow at Remington USA was much friendlier to speak too but he just referred me to the Canadian agent. Easy to be friendly when you are passing the buck, lol.

I was told that after Remington discontinues a model they will retain parts for two years and then sell the entire stock off to a reseller. I wonder about new Remington vs old. My only other experience was with an 870 that would repeatedly jam. After some research I identified machine marks on the inside of the receiver that would catch the case rim on occasion. It was very frustrating. I had only heard great things about Remington up to that point.

The fellow at Remington USA was much friendlier to speak too but he just referred me to the Canadian agent. Easy to be friendly when you are passing the buck, lol.

I was told that after Remington discontinues a model they will retain parts for two years and then sell the entire stock off to a reseller. I wonder about new Remington vs old. My only other experience was with an 870 that would repeatedly jam. After some research I identified machine marks on the inside of the receiver that would catch the case rim on occasion. It was very frustrating. I had only heard great things about Remington up to that point.

Got it .... buy new!!!!

Or at least used while still in production!

I had promised myself not to spend any money on a new rifle as I am saving for my trip. However, I have come across a Remington 798 in 375H&H. I am trying to figure out if this is a purchase that should be acted upon or not. Price is just over $1,000 CDN. It is new and not used. From what I read on the Remington website this particular model has been discontinued. The laminate stock and control round feed appeal as it will serve well for many climates. I understand that it has a Zastava action and the package comes in cheaper than a M-70 Safari. The online reviews seemed favourable.

Would you folks give me your thoughts on whether this a good opportunity or one that will probably come by again and again? I would probably trade in a 308 Win to offset the costs. I own a 30-06 which I intended to go to Africa with. Until I saw this one I played with the idea of buying a Sako Brown Bear or Winchester M-70 in 375 but not until I got the safari paid off. Thanks for your advice and the reality check!
Go for it you only live once sounds like a great deal with a good scope you would be into it less than $1,400

Got it .... buy new!!!!

My admittedly limited experience is that build quality in mucher older is better than recent. Especially in popular models.

Thanks for this thread. I have also found a 798 in 375 and am seriously considering buying it. I am slowing down a bit after reading about the customer service issues. Still thinking on it though.

Depending where you are going and what your goals and finaces are... I would definitely advise having a backup plan in place if you come across an animal that really trips your trigger but was not planned for.

That $1000 will likely suffice for an extra mediun sized antelope. Or two or three smaller or at least cheaper ones. Look over the price list from your outfitter and see what you can get for that $1000 before you buy the gun... that is if finances are tight. If it will not make a real difference financially and you want the gun but just want to know your getting a good deal, buy it! And if you need a bigger gun for this trip and this is what you want, buy it.

On the other hand, if you are going for plains game only, the 30-06 is all you need, esspecially if you shoot it well.

Another way to think about getting a good deal is to think about the overhead expence you will have into the trip... and "net present value" of this hunt to you, in financial and overall expieriance values.

No matter how long you are over there and weather you take take one trophy or 100, the flight, gun transport and permit, as well as other travel related costs are the same per trip... Thus the more you do/take while there, the less per animal/expieriance you will have spent for travel. If you spend $3000 traveling and take one animal, it is $3000 per animal travel expence... if you take 10, it will drop that to $300 per. That is only the most obvious, but the same could be said of your daily fees, practice ammo, range time, new binoculars or whatever.

So then if you look at the net present value of buying this gun, assuming you don't need it for this trip... and just for fun we anylize this as though harvesting trophy animals is the purchase being anylized.... And if you use thart $1000 to take more trophies now thus diluting out their overhead.... you can likely afford to pay way more to buy a 375 later.

Additionally, future dollars have less value than today's dollars, so the same gun can be bought for more money in the future and potentially have the same or lower net present value.

So, buy the gun if you need it. Also buy the gun if you can afford it and will not have to sacrifice something else you want or need more. And buy the gun if you want it more than you want to be able to shoot more critters on your trip. But if the trip and the experience is the main goal... and getting the best overall deal and value is your goal, you might not only want to not buy this gun now, but may even want to sell or be prepared to sell that 308 or whatever to put towards trophy fees.

Good luck with your decision and have a great hunt!

Sound advice!

@ActionBob analysis was very helpful. I looked at my budget and the overall cost of the trip. I decided to go for it. I am now going to get a repair done but overall I think it works out.

Actually all of the advice was sound and helped me think it through.(y). There are a lot of things to consider in planning for a hunt in Africa, that's for sure!

DSC_0006.JPG

I thought I would post an epilogue to this tale. The gunsmith, Lemieux Armouiers in Quebec (fantastic btw), repaired the blueing on the barrel after I decided against replacing the barrel band and installed a new Bold trigger. Today I finally got a chance to sight it in. I just got a box of 270gr federal power points for this. I was only at fifty yards but I am quiet pleased and very relieved! It's actually three shots. I now have Norma brass, GS Customs and Woodleighs all the way up to 350 gr to play with. Let's hope for a warm winter!

Well there ya go! That thing will shoot better than you can, so does mine. My old Whitworth (same basic gun) has always been a super shooter. Go have fun with it now.

It's amazing what a good trigger can do to bullet groups.

I don't know what you guys pay for the CZ 550 in 375 H & H over there, but for good all round shooting and ruggedness, I am VERY satisfied with my 2 x 375's. The first I bought many years ago, BRNO 602 375 H & H... 2nd one about 8 yrs back in CZ 550. NEVER had a problem with either of them... I have one x scoped for DG and the other scoped for plains game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg