Remington 700 in 30'06 is finally done

Probably the most gratifying thing in the universe is hunting with a rifle you built with your own two hands with loads you developed yourself. I love it!

I haven't quite finalized the loads on the 300 yet. I can clover leaf them at 100 yards with it but at distance I have some room for improvement. I really like flex tip bullets but I've had issues with them starting to melt at distance and the BC starting to tank. Been kicking around the idea of burgers with it.

I believe polymer tips do melt if hard driven
Hornady states that theirs won't
I have got fantastic groups w polymer tips but when shooting for meat my experience is that the damage to the animal ruins a mighty lot of meat

I have got fantastic groups w polymer tips but when shooting for meat my experience is that the damage to the animal ruins a mighty lot of meat
I plan on buying a box of their new fangled long range flex tips.
Meat loss is an issue but I like drt when hit so it's a trade off that I'm willing to make.

Interesting, do you think that's due to the polymer tips? If so, do you know what's causing that?

Interesting, do you think that's due to the polymer tips? If so, do you know what's causing that?
I was told (take it for what it's worth) that over distance air friction melts them which is was causes the BC to get whacked out over distance.

I was told (take it for what it's worth) that over distance air friction melts them which is was causes the BC to get whacked out over distance.

I could believe air friction would heat up the tip. To the point of melting and causing issues, I'm not so sure about, maybe.

Perhaps I was misreading @Dr Ray's post, but I was thinking he was saying is there is excessive meat damage due to the polymer tips.

Right I'm a huuuge fan of a 270. I've hunted all over North America with it as well as Africa. 130 grain bullets will kill just about anything dead in its tracks out to 400 yards. Looove my 270's.

Its a really versatile cartridge for game weighing from 200-2000 pounds. Which is the rage most big game species fall in...

Beauty of a rifle too!!

You might try the Barnes Vor-TX 150 TTSX factory load just for curiosity. My old Remington Sportsman 78 (cheap 700) shoots it really well for an oldie that survived 3 days underwater in our 100 year flood. Soaked it in Kroil. Wiped it down and it's been fine.
I've had several 30-06s since 1970. Fine old cartridge. Taken numerous grouse, turkeys, jackrabbits, bobcats, coyotes, hogs, antelope, whitetails, mulies and elk. It did everything I asked of it.
Can't wait to hear how yours does.

IMG_1625.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg