Remington 700 Dangerous game build?

@Red Leg. Good video clip
Bob video called me last night and during the conversation told a silly joke. Had both my wife and I in stitches. No one was laughing like that including our @Bob Nelson 35Whelen. We laughed off and on for a half hour after the end of the call.
@hunting Gold
At least it brightened up your day my friend. Us Aussies are known for our mad sense of humour.
Bob

Bob this is my vote, something I am working on as well…I have a 700 custom shop In 35 Whelen and I’m thinking of (after some wife convincing ;) making it a ‘big brother’ x0
just looking for a 400 Whelen g&h reamer…
after speaking with my smith, who reminded me he has a 35ai reamer….I’m wondering why I don’t just go that route….but 400 Whelen captured my imagination!
@Iclimb
Forget the AI it's a waste of time. A properly loaded whelen throwing a 250gr down range at 2,700fps put a big hurt on things a long ways out.
If you go the 400 route there's plenty of good information on the AH forum about it. From memory the Petrov version is the best.
Bob

Whenever one of the blokes from Down Under employs their somewhat unsubtle ha ha ha ha humor thing, I am reminded of a scene from one of the early Star Trek movies. :unsure: ;)

(Hint - Nichelle Nichols isn't an Aussie.) :E Angel:

@Red Leg
I'm about as subtle as a kick in the arse from a mule. Sublety just isn't one of my good points.
Bob

Whenever one of the blokes from Down Under employs their somewhat unsubtle ha ha ha ha humor thing, I am reminded of a scene from one of the early Star Trek movies. :unsure: ;)

(Hint - Nichelle Nichols isn't an Aussie.) :E Angel:

Towsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen drinking a bottle of Bundy in that clip? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Page 5...damn. Gimmie a minute, I'll be right back.
:A Popcorn:

Bob this is my vote, something I am working on as well…I have a 700 custom shop In 35 Whelen and I’m thinking of (after some wife convincing ;) making it a ‘big brother’ x0
just looking for a 400 Whelen g&h reamer…
after speaking with my smith, who reminded me he has a 35ai reamer….I’m wondering why I don’t just go that route….but 400 Whelen captured my imagination!
Iclimb,
Welcome to AH if I haven't already said so. I've already enjoyed some of your posts. But, when you say "I'm wondering why I don't just go that route", you may be talking common sense. That is mostly not allowed and in short supply here and many of the "enablers" here will continue to egg you on to build (or buy) whatever your heart (forget about your bank account)) desires, regardless of the practicality or feasibility of it for you. In closing, enjoy this wonderful forum with all of the wonderful people here, but mind your common sense and always know where your wallet is. HA! HA! HA!
CEH

@Iclimb
Forget the AI it's a waste of time. A properly loaded whelen throwing a 250gr down range at 2,700fps put a big hurt on things a long ways out.
If you go the 400 route there's plenty of good information on the AH forum about it. From memory the Petrov version is the best.
Bob
Bob,
Since WHEN on here (minus now) was the last time you heard anyone say "it's a waste of time" when someone is talking about wanting almost ANY off the wall wildcat or not cartridges in the world? I mostly hear, " I used that cartridge years ago", or "I'm building a such and such rifle in that cartridge right now". Tell the new member @Iclimb the list of your "interesting" stable of cartridges, both past and present. You'll either scare him off this forum or pique his interest and he'll turn to the dark side of the cartridge moon, wanting ever more wild and obscure cartridges and rifles and will never again have enough time or money to enjoy what he has achieved. HA! HA! HA!
CEH

Absolutely not. The Remington Model 700 uses too small an extractor to reliably work with big cartridges such as the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or the .416 Remington Magnum.

I have personally seen more than a few Remington Model 700s (always in calibers larger than .338 Winchester Magnum ) experience extraction problems during high stress situations (such as when the bolt needs to be worked reliably) or in dusty conditions. With compact length cartridges such as the .458 Winchester Magnum, the extraction issue happens less. But I have still seen it happen once in 1978.

There is one way to remedy this problem. Fit the Remington Model 700 action with an M16 extractor. It solves the extraction issue. But still, why would you want to use this action when so many other reliable actions exist today ?

Just to be clear to some people, I have absolutely no issue with push feed rifles being used for dangerous game hunting. There are/were quite a few reliable push feed rifles on the market for dangerous game hunting. One example was the now long gone BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) Majestic which had a good sized extractor (operated by a coil spring) that rimmed nearly a third of the bolt face circumference… Spring loaded but able to move outwards and over the cartridge head when pushed against it in the chamber. It was a far more reliable push feed design than the Remington Model 700.

Last edited:
So hunting men isn't dangerous game?

You’re totally missing the point. The military uses the 700 as a sniper rifle. Long range, one shot kills with a rifle that doesn’t bear a lot of resemblance to commercially available 700’s.

A DG rifle is used for close work in tight cover and must be utterly reliable on quick second and third shots.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single post that would suggest that the 700 action is not good for sniper applications. Nor have I seen a single post that suggests a M70 chambered in a DG caliber is good for sniper applications.

Iclimb,
Welcome to AH if I haven't already said so. I've already enjoyed some of your posts. But, when you say "I'm wondering why I don't just go that route", you may be talking common sense. That is mostly not allowed and in short supply here and many of the "enablers" here will continue to egg you on to build (or buy) whatever your heart (forget about your bank account)) desires, regardless of the practicality or feasibility of it for you. In closing, enjoy this wonderful forum with all of the wonderful people here, but mind your common sense and always know where your wallet is. HA! HA! HA!
CEH
Already ordered the 400 Whelen dies, petrov spec (which as I understand it is the research revealed originall) griffin/howe spec…I did this so I couldnt “common sense” my way out of a great idea x)

EK has some history around me and I thought it a nice tribute for a cool calibear that seems to have a group who enjoy it! The lack of bullets would probably leave me wanting a bit but…already ordered the dies x)…

Already ordered the 400 Whelen dies, petrov spec (which as I understand it is the research revealed originall) griffin/howe spec…I did this so I couldnt “common sense” my way out of a great idea x)

EK has some history around me and I thought it a nice tribute for a cool calibear that seems to have a group who enjoy it! The lack of bullets would probably leave me wanting a bit but…already ordered the dies x)…
"I did this so I couldn't "common sense" my way out of a great Idea". You'll fit in real nice here! LOL

Every bolt action rifle designed to hunt men is a controlled round feed. They also had bayonet lugs.
I had bayonets on my Mosin Nagants. I need to find away to put them on my CZ 550s, in the event of a jam? LOL

I can only speak from my own experience. I was in a situation with a rhino where I was the one backing up my PH. I was able to turn the charging rhino and put two more shots into his vital area as fast as I was able to work the action and pull the trigger. The rhino we were tracking had circled around and gotten behind us in order to be able to charge down hill. He was no more than 25 yards away when the first shot hit him. I did this with a rifle built on a P-14 Enfield action, using a cartridge of my own design, which duplicated the performance of a .500 NE in a bolt gun. It was not an expensive custom rifle, but one which cost under $1000, but it was one which was totally reliable and built on an action which had proven itself in the mud of Flanders field in World War I. I don't know what its capabilities at 1000 yards are and I don't care. What I cared about was the ability to deliver lethal blows to a very large animal at close range. My PH fired two shots from his .470 NE double rifle, as the rhino was departing the scene, one of which grazed his horn and the other hit him in the hip and keyholed, with virtually no penetration. Neither shot made the slightest contribution to his ultimate demise. I would not recommend trying to kill a rhino at 1000 yards with a .308.

View attachment 448331
View attachment 448334
What an awesome story! Congrats on walking away from that with your health and an excellent trophy!

Bob,
Since WHEN on here (minus now) was the last time you heard anyone say "it's a waste of time" when someone is talking about wanting almost ANY off the wall wildcat or not cartridges in the world? I mostly hear, " I used that cartridge years ago", or "I'm building a such and such rifle in that cartridge right now". Tell the new member @Iclimb the list of your "interesting" stable of cartridges, both past and present. You'll either scare him off this forum or pique his interest and he'll turn to the dark side of the cartridge moon, wanting ever more wild and obscure cartridges and rifles and will never again have enough time or money to enjoy what he has achieved. HA! HA! HA!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Having used both the Whelen and the AI I have come to the conclusion that the amount of time spent making case and reloading the AI version would have been better spent learning to load the standard Whelen to its FULL potential.
Bob

You’re totally missing the point. The military uses the 700 as a sniper rifle. Long range, one shot kills with a rifle that doesn’t bear a lot of resemblance to commercially available 700’s.

A DG rifle is used for close work in tight cover and must be utterly reliable on quick second and third shots.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single post that would suggest that the 700 action is not good for sniper applications. Nor have I seen a single post that suggests a M70 chambered in a DG caliber is good for sniper applications.

I am not missing the point, sometimes a guy walks in you and you end up doing him at 50 feet. Spent 20 years in the military, sometimes the enemy doesn't read the script.

700's have killed just as many dangerous game animals globally as any other rifle if not more. There are something like 8 million of them made.

Oh boy now you’ve done it!!!
I am not missing the point, sometimes a guy walks in you and you end up doing him at 50 feet. Spent 20 years in the military, sometimes the enemy doesn't read the script.

700's have killed just as many dangerous game animals globally as any other rifle if not more. There are something like 8 million of them made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!