Remington 700 Dangerous game build?

So why do I say it is a piece of crap for a DG rifle....
My first and last Rem DG rifle was a model 700 classic in 375 H&H....
1. Too light for caliber by a long margin
2. Sh*t front sight
3. Sh*t rear sight
4. Sh*t bolt knob flat and checkered
5. Worse extractor on any rifle
6. Cannot eject a live unfired round in big DG calibers
7. Not a true magnum length action
8. Sh*t safety
9. Sh*t mag capacity in DG calibers
10. One of the worst actions to load from the top
11. More than 2000 complaints and 150 lawsuites due to a sh*t trigger and ad's
12. Push feed

.....overall score especially in DG caliber....sh*t.......

I think you missed a major one, I do a bit of work at a Gunsmiths here & we have over the years had 3 Rem bolts come in where the bolt handle has come off ???

He bought a bunch on sale even so we have a draw of them now & none since then lol

I don't mind PF really & have had as much or more trouble with CRF actions as PF but it seems the masses like CRF if I'm selling a DG rifle or my hunters like to see a Big CRF rifle (or Double) in my hands .

here is a decent vide that would probably answer some of your questions…
youtube> desert dog>selecting push feed hunting rifle
in case the link doesnt work

Very interesting. I didn't know the Browning X Bolt comes with a M16 style extractor and a safety system that blocks the firing pin? Given it's lightweight for mountain hunting and polycarbonate rotary magazine, makes me want one even more to replace my A Bolt.

Sir,
The short answer is zero. 700 Calibers mostly of 308 or 30-06 based (270, 280AI, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 308, 260 Rem). CRF of 375 H&H, 308, and 270.

A longer answer. As a dumb cop for 23 years (18 as Game warden), one of the things that I have learned is that familiarity greatly assists in success. How you are trained can also lead to success, or failure.

In the 70's and early 80's some of our local cops were required to save their handgun brass while training. Because cleaning up the range after hundreds/ cumulative thousands of rounds can be awful work, most cops developed habits of immediately picking brass after a volley of fire. This nearly bit a guy in the ass when he got himself in a big time gun fight. During the ensuing investigation, it was found the cop had a pocketful of brass. He had instinctively paused his fire to collect brass! After that, the agency banned the collection of brass until all training was done for the day.

One of my own experiences; early in my career we were issued shotguns as a secondary weapons. A shotgun with slugs is a very formidable weapon but our younger generation couldn't handle the recoil. Finally, some of our Gulf War vets convinced the brass to get modern and go to an AR-15 type rifle. Years after making the switch from shotgun to AR-15 rifle I found myself on the rifle range and going through some stressful training scenarios in which the student (me) needed to manipulate the rifle while sirens were blaring, lights flashing, and an instructor screaming in my ear. This scenario, like many others was designed to induce high levels of stress and on this occasion it worked! While attempting to take out the cardboard bad guys, my hands were searching for buttons and switches on this weapon that did not exist and ultimately resulted in dumping the rifle magazine out onto the ground during this fake fire fight. I pulled another magazine from a pouch and finished the fight, however in real life it could have been a fatal error.

Now while in the hell am I talking about all this? If the original poster is a 700 nut, as am I, he would be much better served carrying a rifle that he was ever so intimately familiar with than buying a CRF to please this audience. If he has never shot a rifle before or his home rifle battery is made up of CRF rifles then I highly suggest he take that road.

As mentioned previously, my home battery is made up mostly of 700 rifles. Last year I caved to the BS and bought 2 CRF rifles, one in .375 H&H. I've been shooting and training with these guns and after the cumulative troubles with these and the prior CRF, I really wish I had stuck with a 700 platform.

For me, a person who has shot hundreds of thousands of rounds in practice, training, and hunting over the last 40 years, my suggestion is to buy and use a rifle that you are familiar with. Further, take the time and spend the money to train and shoot that weapon to the level of intimate familiarity.

With that said, all the best to the OP in his decision.

Randy

Valid points Randy. What CRF rifles are
You having trouble with? I’m primarily shooting ‘98’s and M-70’s. The worst I’ve ever dealt with was a weak magazine spring. Like you, maybe I’m just lucky!

Bill

I have 3 safes full of Remington 700s and their clones. In the safes I have 3 CRF rifles of three manufacturer (2 of which where custom builds). I've had more problems with the 3 CRF rifles than the 3 safe full of 700s combined. Perhaps I'm just a lucky son of a bitch.
Go buy a lottery ticket! LOL

I thought I had answered in the first paragraph of my previous post

Not interested in a pissing match as you've drawn your line in the sand as I have drawn mine. I've read many of your posts on the 700 and I'm not asking you to change your mind!

If I were to break away from my 700 and own a dedicated DG rifle, it would be a double. I dont think I'll be doing much DG hunting in the future. No interest at all in elephants. Maybe a buff or 2 before I go. Before that happens, I have my eye on some sheep species.

It's a beautiful day, I'm headed out to train dogs or shoot...
@hunting Gold.
Settle petal, put your big boy pants on and have fun. Telling some people one is better than the other is pointless.
It's just like trying to convince me a 243 is a hunting round. Ain't never going to happen we just accept each other's choices and hope they have fun.
When I built my 25 a gunsmith asked why I wanted to build such an oddball on a shit platform a P14.
My response was because I can. Needless to say he didn't get the job.
I will never get my money back but I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with that rifle so to me it is worth it.
The same may happen to the OP as long as he gets fun and enjoyment out of his choice that's the point.
I don't care if yours is better, bigger, faster and all the bullshit because I'm having fun either MY CHOICE and that's what matters. If it doesn't work well I've learnt another way not to do something.
Bob

With all my prior BS put aside....

I bought a 700 SPS about a year and a half ago for a great price. I bought it knowing Remington was going under and quality had been a problem. It was cheap enough that I really bought it for the action to build off later. With BIG BOLD capital letters... THAT REMINGTON 700 SPS HAS BEEN THE WORST OUT OF THE BOX RIFLE I'VE OWNED IN THE LAST 30 YEARS! I've seen many for sale since then including some .375 H&Hs. To the original poster and all that read this, stay away from that rifle with a ten foot pole! To the new owners of Remington - fix your $hit. This coming from the guy with safes full of 700s.

Buy an R8 and be done with it.
@Muskox
The name is Bob not @BeeMaa.
If I wanted a DG rifle in a biiig caliber I could always rebarrel my M17 35Whelen AI. CRF cock on closing timney trigger and be done for less than 1,000 bucks. Cheaper and almost as quick as an R8.
Bob

@Muskox
If I wanted a DG rifle in a biiig caliber I could always rebarrel my M17 35Whelen AI. CRF cock on closing timney trigger and be done for less than 1,000 bucks. Cheaper and almost as quick as an R8.
Bob
BobMaa?,
Just rebore the .35 barrel to .375 and have a .375-06? Or, get a new barrel and have a .400 Whelen? You'd be set for any DG in OZ or New Zealand.
CEH

@Muskox
Bob
I have politely declined to mention the R8 to this point. Figured there was enough pot stirring going on with the whole CRF/PF debate for one thread. No need to muddy the waters further.

BobMaa?,
Just rebore the .35 barrel to .375 and have a .375-06? Or, get a new barrel and have a .400 Whelen? You'd be set for any DG in OZ or New Zealand.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
In 400 Whelen I would be set to take on DG worldwide.

BobMaa?,
CEH
@CoElkHunter
I have politely declined to mention the R8 to this point. Figured there was enough pot stirring going on with the whole CRF/PF debate for one thread. No need to muddy the waters further.
@BeeMaa
If you dropped your R8 into mddy waters it would probably still work after a hose down. BUT with te R8 with the black synthetic stock and blued barrel you we ouldnt find it in muddy waters. That would be fine by me as you could then get a nice Savage straight pull in 35 or 400 Whelen.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Whenever one of the blokes from Down Under employs their somewhat unsubtle ha ha ha ha humor thing, I am reminded of a scene from one of the early Star Trek movies. :unsure: ;)

(Hint - Nichelle Nichols isn't an Aussie.) :E Angel:

Last edited:
@Red Leg. Good video clip
Bob video called me last night and during the conversation told a silly joke. Had both my wife and I in stitches. No one was laughing like that including our @Bob Nelson 35Whelen. We laughed off and on for a half hour after the end of the call.

@Red Leg. Good video clip
Bob video called me last night and during the conversation told a silly joke. Had both my wife and I in stitches. No one was laughing like that including our @Bob Nelson 35Whelen. We laughed off and on for a half hour after the end of the call.
Meant in good fun. I enjoy Bob's posts immensely.

Also I believe the howa action ti be superior to the newer m700 actions and the come with the m16 exctravtor already installed. They use rem bases and the bottom metal is of much better quality. You can buy barreled actions from Brownells thst come eith the bottom metal and a trigger ready for a stock. You can sell the barrel for a bit of coin..but you still end up much less $$$ than going with an r700..especially because of the factory m16 extractor…

-OP—
something recenfly pointed out to me, which was surprising, as I thought they went bankrupt… Look up the “law 704 action” from Legendary Arms works.
I think the original design was by Ed brown (I may be way off on this though)
You could probably even find a secondhand Legendary Arms rifle as a decent start for a build!
You are getting a 700 push feed look with a much better controlled round feed system and it’s a true crf as far as I’m aware… Several years ago, I wasn’t quite savvy on all they had to offer and I do regret not trying their rifle! Im seriously considering using them for a build, I always loved their stock, which I do own a couple of…

@CoElkHunter

@BeeMaa
If you dropped your R8 into mddy waters it would probably still work after a hose down. BUT with te R8 with the black synthetic stock and blued barrel you we ouldnt find it in muddy waters. That would be fine by me as you could then get a nice Savage straight pull in 35 or 400 Whelen.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob this is my vote, something I am working on as well…I have a 700 custom shop In 35 Whelen and I’m thinking of (after some wife convincing ;) making it a ‘big brother’ x0
just looking for a 400 Whelen g&h reamer…
after speaking with my smith, who reminded me he has a 35ai reamer….I’m wondering why I don’t just go that route….but 400 Whelen captured my imagination!

I have owned multiple 98's and M70's that wouldn't feed.

I have never owned a 700 fed out of a BDL system that wouldn't feed.

If the geometry from a AICS system is 80% or better it will work every time.

The only problems I have ever had with 700's is in ADL systems, and that is because someone put them together wrong. I have also had problems with very short cartridges in M700s. The 350 Remington Magnum in a 700 ADL KS mountain rifle comes to mind.

As far as the extractor, I prefer M16 ones over Sako. But this degenerates the safety of the 700.

To each his own, but I hereby enact Rule 700!

Rule 700, the 700 being involved as a military sniper rifle in every US military mission since 1960, with millions of rounds fired and hundreds of thousands of enemy vanquished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross