AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
So guys I was at a gun auction this morning and bought a box of assorted .308 bullets. I bought the box because there was 2 boxes of Speer 165 gr. Grand Slams in it, I love those bullets. But anyway also in the box was a box of Rem. 150 gr. Bronze Point bullets. Does anybody have any experience with these bullets, the box looks like it would have been around since the 50's or 60's, a bit before I really got into shooting or reloading. The carton is old but the bullets look like new, I'd love to use them but I'm just not sure what to use them on. I spent $34 on 5 boxes of .308 bullets so if I don't get to use them I won't be losing much. Any input will be appreciated.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Back in the day, they were considered sort of high tech, but in reality I guess they were not really special, a fairly quick opening bullet by most accounts. More a deer bullet than an elk bullet. Almost a collector bullet. You might put them on Gunbroker and sell them. I did the same thing recently with some old Winchester Silvertips in a caliber I wont mention or a certain member will be gunning for me!:eek:

jduckhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
Thanks Ses, you know they kinda do look a lot like ballistic tips. I do have a little experience with Silvertips in in an old 32 Win. but never got to shoot any Bronze points. I might load some up and try them on West Virginia white tails.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I heard long ago that these were indeed for deer.

AB2506

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Alberta Fish & Game
Hunted
Alberta, Florida, Eastern Cape of South Africa
CIL from Canada had the Sabretip and Remington the Bronzepoint long before Nosler came out with the Ballistictip. It would not surprise me if Nosler had to pay CIL a fee because the BT was so close to the Sabretip in design. Consider the Bronzepoint an aerodynamic deer bullet.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
They were a faster opening deer bullet.
I had a bunch of them and found they showed pressure signs faster than any other bullet I used for testing. in 308 and 30-06. They showed pressure signs sooner than Nosler PAR or BT, Rem Core-Loc, Hornady, Speer or swift bullets.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
So guys I was at a gun auction this morning and bought a box of assorted .308 bullets. I bought the box because there was 2 boxes of Speer 165 gr. Grand Slams in it, I love those bullets. But anyway also in the box was a box of Rem. 150 gr. Bronze Point bullets. Does anybody have any experience with these bullets, the box looks like it would have been around since the 50's or 60's, a bit before I really got into shooting or reloading. The carton is old but the bullets look like new, I'd love to use them but I'm just not sure what to use them on. I spent $34 on 5 boxes of .308 bullets so if I don't get to use them I won't be losing much. Any input will be appreciated.

Jduckhunter,

One of my friends Tim Lott (unfortunately now gone on to the Happy Hunting Ground) loved 130 gr Bronze Points in Remington factory live ammunition, for his Ruger 77 20" barrel .270 caliber, to hunt deer, blackbear, caribou, sheep & goat, when he thought he likely would be shooting a long distance - open tundra, cross canyon, above timber line, etc.
I only saw him take a very few critters (perhaps 5 or 6) with them.

My participating in the field dressing of these few animals, over the years we hunted and fished together, does not imply that I know very much about the Bronze Point bullet.
However, my limited exposure to this bullet left me with the impression that they were soft/fragile.
I would say they were something like Remington's answer to Winchester's "Silvertip" bullet (Silvertips in my personal experience were very soft/frangible bullets).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
20 years ago you could buy them anywhere. I thought they worked nice, I used them in my .270 Win

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
My Daf put a ban on me using bronze tips after I front shouldered a cow elk and there was bullet fragments in what seemed like every package of burger the old man pulled out of the freezer. Lol. I switched to a BT and I think he gave up on me ever producing jacket and lead free burger, those first BT bullets were just as bad. Now the Grand Slam was a great bullet I always thought, just couldn't afford grand slams, cold beer and gas for my bronco back then.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
Back in the '80s, I shot my biggest whitetail deer with a 150 Rem BP hand loaded in my .308 to 2800 fps. Deer was broadside in the open at just over 100 yds. It died instantly, but the "autopsy" was a revelation. Bullet hit the ribs just behind the shoulder, jellied the near side lung, and stopped in tiny fragments in the far side lung. It did not even penetrate to the ribs on the far side. I could find no marks on the opposite inside of the rib cage. A test of one means little, but "soft" seems like an understatement.

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
CIL from Canada had the Sabretip and Remington the Bronzepoint long before Nosler came out with the Ballistictip. It would not surprise me if Nosler had to pay CIL a fee because the BT was so close to the Sabretip in design. Consider the Bronzepoint an aerodynamic deer bullet.

I understand that the concept of a protective tip that helps with expansion, dates back to the Leslie Taylor Capped Bullet, originally designed by Leslie Taylor for his employer, Westley Richards, as part of the Explora system.

Last edited:

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Yep, bronze points were quick to open, and quick to come apart.

If it were me, I'd hold on to the bullets as a keepsake. They're a piece of shooting history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DianaFarqu

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J