AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
So guys I was at a gun auction this morning and bought a box of assorted .308 bullets. I bought the box because there was 2 boxes of Speer 165 gr. Grand Slams in it, I love those bullets. But anyway also in the box was a box of Rem. 150 gr. Bronze Point bullets. Does anybody have any experience with these bullets, the box looks like it would have been around since the 50's or 60's, a bit before I really got into shooting or reloading. The carton is old but the bullets look like new, I'd love to use them but I'm just not sure what to use them on. I spent $34 on 5 boxes of .308 bullets so if I don't get to use them I won't be losing much. Any input will be appreciated.

Back in the day, they were considered sort of high tech, but in reality I guess they were not really special, a fairly quick opening bullet by most accounts. More a deer bullet than an elk bullet. Almost a collector bullet. You might put them on Gunbroker and sell them. I did the same thing recently with some old Winchester Silvertips in a caliber I wont mention or a certain member will be gunning for me!:eek:

Thanks Ses, you know they kinda do look a lot like ballistic tips. I do have a little experience with Silvertips in in an old 32 Win. but never got to shoot any Bronze points. I might load some up and try them on West Virginia white tails.

I heard long ago that these were indeed for deer.

CIL from Canada had the Sabretip and Remington the Bronzepoint long before Nosler came out with the Ballistictip. It would not surprise me if Nosler had to pay CIL a fee because the BT was so close to the Sabretip in design. Consider the Bronzepoint an aerodynamic deer bullet.

They were a faster opening deer bullet.
I had a bunch of them and found they showed pressure signs faster than any other bullet I used for testing. in 308 and 30-06. They showed pressure signs sooner than Nosler PAR or BT, Rem Core-Loc, Hornady, Speer or swift bullets.

So guys I was at a gun auction this morning and bought a box of assorted .308 bullets. I bought the box because there was 2 boxes of Speer 165 gr. Grand Slams in it, I love those bullets. But anyway also in the box was a box of Rem. 150 gr. Bronze Point bullets. Does anybody have any experience with these bullets, the box looks like it would have been around since the 50's or 60's, a bit before I really got into shooting or reloading. The carton is old but the bullets look like new, I'd love to use them but I'm just not sure what to use them on. I spent $34 on 5 boxes of .308 bullets so if I don't get to use them I won't be losing much. Any input will be appreciated.

Jduckhunter,

One of my friends Tim Lott (unfortunately now gone on to the Happy Hunting Ground) loved 130 gr Bronze Points in Remington factory live ammunition, for his Ruger 77 20" barrel .270 caliber, to hunt deer, blackbear, caribou, sheep & goat, when he thought he likely would be shooting a long distance - open tundra, cross canyon, above timber line, etc.
I only saw him take a very few critters (perhaps 5 or 6) with them.

My participating in the field dressing of these few animals, over the years we hunted and fished together, does not imply that I know very much about the Bronze Point bullet.
However, my limited exposure to this bullet left me with the impression that they were soft/fragile.
I would say they were something like Remington's answer to Winchester's "Silvertip" bullet (Silvertips in my personal experience were very soft/frangible bullets).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
20 years ago you could buy them anywhere. I thought they worked nice, I used them in my .270 Win

My Daf put a ban on me using bronze tips after I front shouldered a cow elk and there was bullet fragments in what seemed like every package of burger the old man pulled out of the freezer. Lol. I switched to a BT and I think he gave up on me ever producing jacket and lead free burger, those first BT bullets were just as bad. Now the Grand Slam was a great bullet I always thought, just couldn't afford grand slams, cold beer and gas for my bronco back then.

Back in the '80s, I shot my biggest whitetail deer with a 150 Rem BP hand loaded in my .308 to 2800 fps. Deer was broadside in the open at just over 100 yds. It died instantly, but the "autopsy" was a revelation. Bullet hit the ribs just behind the shoulder, jellied the near side lung, and stopped in tiny fragments in the far side lung. It did not even penetrate to the ribs on the far side. I could find no marks on the opposite inside of the rib cage. A test of one means little, but "soft" seems like an understatement.

CIL from Canada had the Sabretip and Remington the Bronzepoint long before Nosler came out with the Ballistictip. It would not surprise me if Nosler had to pay CIL a fee because the BT was so close to the Sabretip in design. Consider the Bronzepoint an aerodynamic deer bullet.

I understand that the concept of a protective tip that helps with expansion, dates back to the Leslie Taylor Capped Bullet, originally designed by Leslie Taylor for his employer, Westley Richards, as part of the Explora system.

Last edited:
My Great Uncle used to use them as his "farm bullet" out of a .30/06. Could use them for both deer and coyotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg