Remington 12ga 2-3/4” rifled slugs

I'm with Randy F...I got plenty of trigger time in southern Wisconsin as a kid chuckin' pumpkins (as we affectionately call them up here) at whitetails. They lay down the law when kept inside of a hundred yards. Also the recommendation of trying some different rifled slugs out of your particular shotgun is good advice. And let's be honest, there is no reason not to as they are so inexpensive. We have been allowed to shoot rifles around here for quite some time, but I still keep the 870 loaded with rifled slugs in the shop out to the farm for those lucky days when you step out the door and are eye-to-eye with a whitetail at short range.

I hunt in unit 63a in Idaho which requires short range weapons - muzzleloader, shotgun, etc. The sabots are not only more accurate but kill better. A Savage 220 with Hornady SST sabots kills deer DRT and is at least the equal of a 30/06.
This year on a Shiras moose there was full chest penetration and penetration of the offside shoulder with the slug found just under the skin. You couldn’t ask more of a 30/06.

My friend has a Savage 220 rifled slug barrel with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it. Shoots clover leaf groups at 100 yards with Federal Trophy Copper Sabot slugs. He’s taken 1 whitetail with it last year and it was DRT. Not sure he’s put it to use this season.

Hi Frank, we had to use slugs for a long time in upstate NY for whitetail and I have used them a lot over the years, they work well and a rifled slug from a smooth bore will do the trick but...if allowed where you are hunting, I would invest in a rifled 12 gauge barrel/gun and use a saboted slug like a Lightfield (many other brands available too). They will extend your range by 2x. For a smooth bore figure 75 - 100 yds, a rifled barrel/sabot will take you out to 150 - 200 yds. that has been my experience at least. Good luck....
We used to have a camp in Allegheny county that was shotgun only. standard foster slugs worked ok. They are terrible penetrators and have a trajectory like a cinderblock thrown by a 3 year old. Where in upstate are you?

this brings back great memories, I shot my first whitetail in Boligee Alabama in the early 70’s. Used a Remington 2 3/4” slug in my grandfathers old feather weight Winchester model 12. The spike was DRT shot in the neck at about 50yds, of course I was aiming at his shoulder not his neck. He will go down as the 2nd most un lucky deer ever.

We used to have a camp in Allegheny county that was shotgun only. standard foster slugs worked ok. They are terrible penetrators and have a trajectory like a cinderblock thrown by a 3 year old. Where in upstate are you?
Once upon a time, anywhere in NY outside the Adirondack was shotgun only. I shot my first whitetail in Wyoming county with a Remington 1100 firing Remington 2 3/4s. What year was that? Somewhere in the Reagan administration, I think. Something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross