Remington 12ga 2-3/4” rifled slugs

F. Vaccaro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone got first hand knowledge using Remington 12ga 2-3/4” rifled slugs on game?
we have one area restricted to handguns, bows, muzzle loading rifles & shotguns. Thanks.
Frank.

They work fine on deer/pigs etc. If shots are kept to reasonable distance. Usually 100 yards ish, depending on your gun and how it shoots. These slugs are for smooth barrels, try them in a few guns with a few different chokes if possible to find the most accurate combo.

Remember rifled slugs have the trajectory of a thrown rock so if you're zeroed at 100 yards you may be a foot high at 50. Definitely get some trigger time in with them. They will get the job done on deer sized game just fine.

Cheers

Wyatt’s talking good sense. The Foster style slugs loaded by Winchester, Remington and Federal are good for whitetail deer and American feral hogs. But they don’t hold a candle to good old German Brenneke Original (or better yet, Brenneke Black Magic) slugs in terms of accuracy and penetration. I noticed that Foster style slugs will have a difficult time penetrating into a Nilgai’s vital organs during a frontal chest shot. A Brenneke Black Magic (on the other hand) will always plow straight through.

Wyatt’s talking good sense. The Foster style slugs loaded by Winchester, Remington and Federal are good for whitetail deer and American feral hogs. But they don’t hold a candle to good old German Brenneke Original (or better yet, Brenneke Black Magic) slugs in terms of accuracy and penetration. I noticed that Foster style slugs will have a difficult time penetrating into a Nilgai’s vital organs during a frontal chest shot. A Brenneke Black Magic (on the other hand) will always plow straight through.
Do you find the Brennekes more accurate than the foster types?

If you are talking about the old Foster type (lead cup) slugs…. Ohio used to only permit slugs or muzzleloader son deer. Out of a smooth bore shotgun, they are reasona accurate to about 75yds. At 100yds, it is more of a shotgun pattern.
I’ve taken deer and boar (hogs) with them. Being soft, they expand well.
As far as penetration, one doe I shot at ~40 yds, was running straight at me , but stopped for a second and lowered her head as I shot. The slug entered near her eye and went straight down about a foot of spine. I shot two hogs with them. Neither took a step. They are a short range sledgehammer.

I have not tried Remington. Based on the recommendation of an instructor, I went straight to Federal Truball slugs. I was in a tactical shotgun class where guys were shooting a wide variety of slugs, and the Federal with Truball had the best accuracy.
I would have no hesitation to take deer at 100 yds with that slug based on the results I saw.

Has anyone got first hand knowledge using Remington 12ga 2-3/4” rifled slugs on game?
we have one area restricted to handguns, bows, muzzle loading rifles & shotguns. Thanks.
Frank.

If you mean the Remington 12 gauge saboted accutip slugs, yes. They are horrific on recoil and if you have a 3" chamber the 2-3/4" slugs lose accuracy due to freebore.

The most accurate slug solution is a savage 220F 20 gauge 3" bolt action shotgun shooting the Remington PRA20M 3" Accutip Slug. Accuracy for deer sized animals gets you out to between 235-260 yards depending on gun, optic, and your ability to calculate drop.

I grew up taking deer in shotgun only territory. All I had was a smoothbore 20 gauge. Nothing like the pumpkin thrower to teach you how to stalk close. With practice, 75 to 100 yd limit and was deadly on deer. I was in heaven when the sabot emerged. Accuracy jumped.

I didn’t meat the sabot slug, just the old original slug.

For classic 12 gauge slugs, the two tried and tested for smoothbore use are the Brenneke (awesome, even through a full choke) and Lightfields.

Hi Frank, we had to use slugs for a long time in upstate NY for whitetail and I have used them a lot over the years, they work well and a rifled slug from a smooth bore will do the trick but...if allowed where you are hunting, I would invest in a rifled 12 gauge barrel/gun and use a saboted slug like a Lightfield (many other brands available too). They will extend your range by 2x. For a smooth bore figure 75 - 100 yds, a rifled barrel/sabot will take you out to 150 - 200 yds. that has been my experience at least. Good luck....

If you mean the Remington 12 gauge saboted accutip slugs, yes. They are horrific on recoil and if you have a 3" chamber the 2-3/4" slugs lose accuracy due to freebore.

The most accurate slug solution is a savage 220F 20 gauge 3" bolt action shotgun shooting the Remington PRA20M 3" Accutip Slug. Accuracy for deer sized animals gets you out to between 235-260 yards depending on gun, optic, and your ability to calculate drop.
Having a dedicated slug gun or at least a slug barrel on your shotgun will significantly improve your accuracy. These barrels are fully rifled to provide the best possible accuracy. I understand that money can be an issue along with possible hunting regulations against rifled barrels...in that case the Brenneke rifled slugs (suggested by @Wyatt Smith) are the best option IMO.

My friend bought a Savage 220 and put a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it with Warne rings. His total investment was right around $1200 with MOA accuracy out to 100 yards with Federal Trophy Copper 275 grain Sabot Slugs. Perfect for his Whitetail Deer hunting needs in the forests of Upstate NY where rifle hunting is not allowed.

FYI - Smoothbore barrels use rifled slugs. Rifled barrels use sabot slugs. Rifled slugs should not be used in a rifled barrel because there is not enough contact between the lead and rifling to create spin. What happens is the lead from the bullet fills the rifling on the bore after just a few shots. This essentially makes it a smoothbore or at least a PITA cleaning project. Ask me how I know...:ROFLMAO:

Having a dedicated slug gun or at least a slug barrel on your shotgun will significantly improve your accuracy. These barrels are fully rifled to provide the best possible accuracy. I understand that money can be an issue along with possible hunting regulations against rifled barrels...in that case the Brenneke rifled slugs (suggested by @Wyatt Smith) are the best option IMO.

My friend bought a Savage 220 and put a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it with Warne rings. His total investment was right around $1200 with MOA accuracy out to 100 yards with Federal Trophy Copper 275 grain Sabot Slugs. Perfect for his Whitetail Deer hunting needs in the forests of Upstate NY where rifle hunting is not allowed.

FYI - Smoothbore barrels use rifled slugs. Rifled barrels use sabot slugs. Rifled slugs should not be used in a rifled barrel because there is not enough contact between the lead and rifling to create spin. What happens is the lead from the bullet fills the rifling on the bore after just a few shots. This essentially makes it a smoothbore or at least a PITA cleaning project. Ask me how I know...:ROFLMAO:
Hahaha yeah I bet you could get a good case of tennis elbow from trying to get the lead out lol

Just found some Brenneke 2-3/4” anti terrorist ammo at my LGS. Not cheap, $10/ 5 pack but I am going to try them.

I've hunted with a shotgun & foster style slugs for about 40 years. Harvested a lot of deer.

There are better slugs available like others have mentioned. I still use the foster style slugs because most of my shots are out of a stand at a distance under 50 yards. Many shots are running and follow up shots are common.

I have a smoothbore slug barrel and a scope on my 870. I sight in at 75 yards. This puts me 3" high at 50 yards and 5" low at 100.

They kill deer just fine (fishing guides in Alaska use them for grizzly protection).

In my experience a .50 cal muzzleloader is more accurate and has more shocking power with the advantage of an expanding bullet. It also gives you more range, out to 150 yards or so.

Don't stay home because you have to use a slug. Just know your limitations and practice at ranges out to 100 yards or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg