Rem 798 375 Ruger For Sale

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I don’t know much about this one I picked it up at a show. I thought I would use it as a project gun. Never got that far. Nice looking stock. Would make a cheap CRF DG rifle, or to build something. $875 plus shipping.
Image1678504463.886699.jpg

I believe the Remington 798s are Zastava actioned rifles. Of course, the .375 Ruger chambering is a custom. Nice rifle with the M70 style safety added. Also looks like it has the Zastava’s magazine release inside the trigger guard.

Last edited:
Correct. The Remington 798's were barreled actions from Zastava; imported into the U.S. and put into laminated stocks by Remington from 2006-2008. I don't think they really achieved the popularity that Remington hoped for, as evidenced by their short run in the market; however, Zastava has sold essentially that same rifle under a couple different labels. The 798 was offered in mostly American calibers (with 375 H&H being the exception), and was a pretty decent value at between $600-800 list price. Near the end, big box retailers were closing them out at bargain basement prices (I've seen references to 375's being sold new for under $400 in the 2009-2010 timeframe).

The rifle pictured above has definitely been re-barreled, as 375 Ruger was not a factory offering, and the "Armor International SA" proof mark seems to confirm that. The bolt handle knob is not original either, but it looks like a nice piece. Other than that, it looks pretty much like my rifle pictured below; and is probably reasonably priced for someone looking for that caliber.

I have a Remington 798 in (gasp) 243 Winchester that I bought used 2 1/2 years ago at a local pawn shop that was going out of business, to serve as my daughter's first deer rifle and it turned out to be a pretty good rifle. The Mauser action is not as refined as my FN's, but certainly does the job; and the rifle will print 3/4 MOA groups pretty consistently. At a fair price, they're certainly worth having. Good luck with the sale!

Remington_798.jpg

Last edited:
The 798 didn't have square bridges. The only thing 798 on that rifle is the stock.
Good point. I just noticed that too. I don’t see “Remington” anywhere on the receiver either? Doesn’t really matter as it’s a nice CRF rifle at a reasonable price. It would be interesting to know though?

It didn't have that Type of Safety either, I know I have a 375 and a 458!!!

That looks like the mauser actions Dumoulin Mauser action that SARCO had available a few years ago.
Yes sir. I think this is spot on. If I recall accurately, which may be a challenge, they were made in China and it was somewhat difficult to mount scopes initially. I’m sure that was resolved. Good looking rifle.

That looks like the mauser actions Dumoulin Mauser action that SARCO had available a few years ago.
Good catch.
I remember that Accuracy Arms International, offered a sporting M98 action in SHOTGUN NEWS, years ago. Italian forged M98 Mausers, finished in Belgium with 3 position safety's, Oberndorf style floorplates, the specific European grooved bridges, that were also drilled and tapped for conventional bases.

Initially some were barreled in .338 Winchester Magnum, then just actions available.

I remember seeing SARCO offering the actions for sale after a few years. The price was right at under $500.00 USD.

I should have bought at least 3 actions for future projects.

NICE RIFLE AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE SALE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.