Reloading

Calhoun

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
Hello out there! I read lot of replies and it seems there are reloaders out there, but no one wants to start a thread! I've been reloading for almost 20 years.... Anybody want to chat!!

Sure.........I started reloading in 1972. Still find it interesting and load for about a dozen different cartridges at present, as well as 12 and 20 gauge. Some of the newer equipment has certainly made life easier and some of the routines less tedious. The powders and bullets available today are wonderful and endless as there are new ones coming on the market constantly.

Lots of new cartridges the last decade, but...........and I am sure this is a sign of my age creeping up or my generally poor attitude..............not that many of them cause me to even take a second look. There are one or two exceptions, but I have yet to buy any of them.

I have noticed a drop in interest in reloading locally as the ammo manufacturers are really cranking out some quality stuff and offering lots of bullet choices. Also, although I have helped a few young shooters get into it in recent years, the mindset of many is for the quick fix and instant gratification....................so many of them do not have the patience or deep rooted interest in ballistics and terminal performance, and prefer to just buy the premium ammunition offerings.

Things change.

l

I have learned the joy of reloading from my dad when I was still a young boy.

In South Africa we are limited to the amount of different weapons we can have especially now after the new fire arms act came into being in 2006.

I reload all my own ammunition except for 12GA and 22lr. Its just to expensive to walk into a gun shop buy a couple of boxes of rounds and go to the shooting range.

There is still such a lot of things I want to learn when it comes to the finer art of reloading that I would enjoy all the inputs from you guys here....

That' s how the world has gone here, nobody has time for anything they would rather hurry up buy it & complain if it doesn't work. Back in the 70's & 80's it seemed everyone had more time than money & reloading became a hobby that one could take up & get all he wanted to put in it & more if you kept & open mind & asked questions to other reloaders,
I agree with you that there isn't much out there that really excites me to want to go out & buy it anymore. I think about it & keep it on the back burner. I wonder a lot of times about all these new calibers. Like say the Ruger 416. Why!! you have the Remington & the Rigby great calibers & guns but do we always have to shorten or lenghten a case etc. so a guy can spend a pile of money for more brass & components to cheapen the costs. The new cartridges are from cheap & those first few runs of brass aren't no better!
My Dad was totally against me starting to reload it's to dangerous. Then I still hear him when I accumulated my 7th different gun in a 7mm caliber, one of these days you are going to grab the wrong cartidge & put it in th wrong gun and...........
The older I get I'm starting to believe them as there are a lot of people who own gns that aren't educated! But as far as reloading It's a wonderful pass time & it's very satisfying when yoy take a marginal factory ammo shooting gun & make a real tack driver out of it!

I've been reloading for about 55 or so years as best I recall and I'm always glad to discuss the subject with anyone and hope I can answer any questions anyone would have..

Calhoun's Point about Reloaders

Calhoun - you are right. There are reloaders on the forum and we have questions, but have not been asking them. I've been reloading for shotgun for over 40 years and for centerfire rifles for over 10 years and there are still things that I need to learn. I will start a new thread with one of them.

Another life long handloader here! Been at it for 40 yrs. and still learning as I go, as long as I keep my mind open. Most recently (over the last 3 yrs.) I've been loading for the .458 Win. and learning again in the process.

I'm happy to pass along any info that I feel qualified to comment on, but will not spew out criticism against those with less experience. We all have a lot to learn!

Started reloading in 1957. Been at it ever since, both commercial and wildcat cartridges. Did some reloading for benchrest competion, but just do it for hunting now. Still learning new stuff with the new bullets and powders available these days. It has put new life into some of the old favorites. Always happy to discuss this subject as it is one of my favorites.

Hello out there! I read lot of replies and it seems there are reloaders out there, but no one wants to start a thread! I've been reloading for almost 20 years.... Anybody want to chat!!

Hi ..... This is my first visit to this forum. I've been reloading since 1966, and I'd be glad to discuss reloading. Check out my website below, and you'll see that I design, manufacture and sell some pretty unique reloading tools. Maybe someone here is using reloading tools that I designed. If I can help with reloading questions, just let me know. My number one goal is to preserve our gun rights and help fellow shooters enjoy the sport.

- Innovative

Larry:

I'm glad you joined the forum. I've been reloading for centerfire rifle for 10 years, but I learned some new things after spending 10 minutes reading some of the stuff on your website.

The collet resizing die for belted magnums is pretty interesting. Did I read correctly that the same die will work for my 7mm Rem Mag and my .300 Win Mag? Are there separate collets for the two different cases?

- browningbbr

I've been reloading for over 35 yrs. Just in the last few years have I learned some of the simple tricks to help improve accuracy. I started reloading to help keep prices down. Now its more about accuracy with a particular bullet that I want to try. It takes time to do it right, but as long as you start to work up loads well ahead of hunting season then it works for me.

browningbbr .....

Our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die comes with one collet, and that's all you need to resize over 20 different belted calibers. This is possible because the area "just above the belt" is the same size on all of those 20 different calibers.

The top of this patented die is used as a case width gauge, and it's used to see when your case needs a bit of "extra" resizing. If you case drops in all the way to the belt - you're good to go. However, If your resized case won't drop all the way into the top of this die, then you do need to use our collet die to properly resize your cases.

After seeing some of the big game these guys are after, I'd sure like to know my handloads will always chamber.

- Innovative

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross