Reloading The 35 Whelen With Power Pro Varmint

Chronongragh

20210728_163131.jpg
20210729_122729.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy !

That’ll knock some game into the dirt immediately, with those velocities!!

Hawk

Case head expansion was the same as factory loads. I pulled a bullet and replaced the powder to get an accurate reading on case head expansion

Deduct about 80 or so fps for 4 inches of barrel being longer than standard. Puts it at about 2890 fps. Bob has done that and then some with CFE.
The .338 having about a 15 grain capacity advantage can do that of course, just take more powder to do it, the Whelen is so efficient, it does more with less. Nothing magic about the Whelen, just a very efficient round.

Deduct about 80 or so fps for 4 inches of barrel being longer than standard. Puts it at about 2890 fps. Bob has done that and then some with CFE.
The .338 having about a 15 grain capacity advantage can do that of course, just take more powder to do it, the Whelen is so efficient, it does more with less. Nothing magic about the Whelen, just a very efficient round.

Exactly, not unheard of velocity. The 1885 Highwall just comes with a 28" barrel

I would love to get my hands on some CFE223

65.5 grains of Power Pro Varmint behind the 225 grain Accubond gave this velocity of 2969FPS
@jwp475
Mate there's nothing wrong with that as long as pressures are fine. That gives you over 4,300 fpe of muzzle energy. Leaves the 300 win mag and 338WM in its wake.
Bob

Wait till Bob sees this!
@CoElkHunter
Why mate?
Just goes to show that the Whelen is all I have been saying it is.
No wonder you cry every time you look at your 338 when it is getting beaten by a cartridge 30 years its senior.
Bob

View attachment 415824.

I couldn’t help it I had to run those numbers thru my calculator.
I can’t help but wish someone would post some .338 win mag numbers and see if they can beat that.
@Close Range
Run the numbers again with the projectile 2.5 inches high at 100 and post for us to see please
Bob

Interesting velocities with the Whelen? I would assume then, a handloaded .30-06 can meet or surpass the velocity of a handloaded .300WM with the same bullet weight? If so, why were the .300WM and .338WM cartridges developed in the first place? Obviously, the .338 and .35 Whelen are different calibers, but still?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg