Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
....but perhaps I have more pent up tension than I care to admit...

20200304_215402.jpg

20200304_220127.jpg

20200304_220228.jpg

:unsure::(

Last edited by a moderator:
RCBS is the word you are looking for....

:sneaky:

HWL

Yowza, yeah that's a good one. You may want to call them. There's a possibility they'll replace it no charge. What was the cartridge?

Pheroze, looks like you had a little difficulty. But overall reloading done in the peace and quiet of a comfortable setting is relaxing. It also brings a great deal of satisfaction to those of us that hunt with ammo of our own making. You will get over this.:):)

Yowza, yeah that's a good one. You may want to call them. There's a possibility they'll replace it no charge. What was the cartridge?
Just 308 Notma Mag. I was just resizing the case and the mechanisms blew up! I do apply a bit of force to make sure it resized properly, I am sitting on a chair, not leaning into it!

Looks like the press relieved itself. :) I hate to say it but not unexpected. That type design is like putting chihuahua legs on a bulldog body. Lee's "R&D" department is kind of like that. They have some absolutely brilliant designs using high quality materials, like the FCD die or their cast bullet sizing die and then turn around and design a really questionable cast material into a high stress part on a press. Or come up with that "slippomatic" stem nut locking system for some of their dies or the aluminum with rubber O ring "variable lock nut" for dies.... What? I understand the theory of the aluminum lock nut with rubber O ring but in reality just does't work out so well. But Lee isn't the only one. A really high end maker, not RCBS, grossly under engineered the secondary link pins on one of their flagship compound presses a few years ago and the pins started breaking during regular sizing operations... well within the expected limits of the tool.

Still hard to beat either the original RCBS Rockchucker or the Rockchucker Supreme if the extra span is needed for longer than 3.6" loading. Another option is to get a sure enough swaging press with a large span with no worries about breaking anything even during the toughest job. Got a Corbin Walnut Hill swaging press several years ago and occasionally use it for heavy duty work, either reloading or swaging. Otherwise, I do most on a regular Rockchucker I picked up used for little $ a long time ago.

Yes, I too regularly have "therapy" sessions with my reloading toys, been doing it for over 50 years. Not crazy yet... I think. .... "just put a longer cheater bar on it, hee haw!"

Last edited:

Yes, I too regularly have "therapy" sessions with my reloading toys, been doing it for over 50 years. Not crazy yet... I think. .... "just put a longer cheater bar on it, hee haw!"

Other than hunting, I am a competitive shooter that shoots 50K-60K of .40 S&W a year. So, for me reloading is a necessary evil. I use a single stage for rifle rounds (Forster Co-Ax). But for pistol I went full auto.

and then turn around and design a really questionable cast material into a high stress part on a press.

It went off with a bang too! My wife was in another part of the house, watching tv. She thought I blew myself up:LOL:

I use a single stage for rifle rounds (Forster Co-Ax).

This press has been recommended to me by a few others. I like the way it works. I am not a competition shooter, but the design seems to be easy to use.

I also find handloading to be therapeutic. I think it is because I worked in a office sitting there banging on a computer all day. At the end of the day when I turned around to look at what I accomplished I saw nothing. Nothing to see, nothing to touch. Nothing tangible, nothing to measure. Handloading provides those visible results.

The best part about handloading is that when you are done, you can take your accomplishments to the range and get some "group therapy"!

It is like a gift that just keeps giving!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.