Reloading Nickel Plated Brass

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I have some nickel plated once fired .375 h and h and .458WM brass cases I’ve thought about reloading. But I’ve never reloaded the nickel plated cases before so if anyone has any suggestions on reloading them I would greatly appreciate it? Thanks!

Albert GRANT

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
Just load as normal, but do a closer inspection before each subsequent reload looking for cracks

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Watch for chipped plating. I have had some flake off and scratch the inside of my full length dies. Had to polish the die back smooth.
With my nickel plated cases, I only neck size to help reduce this. I also now only use them for light (235 grain Speer) loads for practice.
Mine are all Federal 375 H&H cases. The primer pockets seem to get loose quickly as well.
Just my experience. Maybe I’ve just not had good luck with them. A friend seems to do fine with his 300 WM plated cases.
Best of luck!

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Watch for chipped plating. I have had some flake off and scratch the inside of my full length dies. Had to polish the die back smooth.
With my nickel plated cases, I only neck size to help reduce this. I also now only use them for light (235 grain Speer) loads for practice.
Mine are all Federal 375 H&H cases. The primer pockets seem to get loose quickly as well.
Just my experience. Maybe I’ve just not had good luck with them. A friend seems to do fine with his 300 WM plated cases.
Best of luck!
Thanks for this information. Yes, these would be used for light-medium practice loads and I’ve always just neck sized bottleneck cases for practice loads when shot in the same rifle. With the straight walled .458, I may be able to just expand the inside case to allow the bullet to seat properly. I figure if the reloaded cartridges chamber in the same respective rifle without an issue, they’re good enough for practice loads and will extend case life by not full length resizing every time.

Albert GRANT

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
Best of luck!
This is the reason for needing to closely inspect before each reload after the first one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bernd71W35

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG