Reloading for 6,5.06 mauser

Reaction score
Good day, I have decided to throat my fathers Mauser to a 6,5.06. This was done with advice from a Kimberley gunsmith due to difficulty in obtaining ammo. I have imported a two set die for this calibre but I do not seem able to get info on reloading data for this calibre. The spare ammo for the 6,5 x 58 Portugues Mauser is limited and I have kept the remnant instead of using them. Is there anyone out there using this type of weapon or anyone who can assist? I am currently loading a 140 projectile in front of a 44grn charge. I am necking both 30.06 and 270 cases. Can I use a 25.06 case instead? I have measured these two cases and they seem to be a perfect match.
I will appreciate any advice can can get.
Blessing

I should have lots of loading info. I will look it up what powders to you have use? Also watch out with the 270 brass it could end up to long. Just measure it. Tell me what weights of bullets you are going to use.

Hodgdon online load data has a lot of load data for the 6.5-06

Good day Farmboy. I trim the cases down to 63,5mm once I sized the case. This is the size that I took from the original rifle round.
I am trying loads with 140grn heads with a load of 44grn S365 son hem powder.

Can you get any of the american powders? I should have data for accurate arms powder. As well.

Good day, I have decided to throat my fathers Mauser to a 6,5.06. This was done with advice from a Kimberley gunsmith due to difficulty in obtaining ammo. I have imported a two set die for this calibre but I do not seem able to get info on reloading data for this calibre. The spare ammo for the 6,5 x 58 Portugues Mauser is limited and I have kept the remnant instead of using them. Is there anyone out there using this type of weapon or anyone who can assist? I am currently loading a 140 projectile in front of a 44grn charge. I am necking both 30.06 and 270 cases. Can I use a 25.06 case instead? I have measured these two cases and they seem to be a perfect match.
I will appreciate any advice can can get.
Blessing

Yes, 25-06 cases are known to work well to form 6.5-06 cases. However, if you also have a 25-06, the risk of an accident caused by ammo misidentification will be increased. In that case, you may wish to use 30-06 or .270 brass.

Determine case capacity in grains of water, using a once-fired, trimmed to length, neck-sized only case. Let me know what that number is, and I can help you generate data for your Somchem 365 powder. It would also be helpful to know the length of the heads themselves, the cartridge overall length you are loading to, and the barrel length of your rifle.

Yes, 25-06 cases are known to work well to form 6.5-06 cases. However, if you also have a 25-06, the risk of an accident caused by ammo misidentification will be increased. In that case, you may wish to use 30-06 or .270 brass.

Determine case capacity in grains of water, using a once-fired, trimmed to length, neck-sized only case. Let me know what that number is, and I can help you generate data for your Somchem 365 powder. It would also be helpful to know the length of the heads themselves, the cartridge overall length you are loading to, and the barrel length of your rifle.

Overall case length : 63,4mm (30.06 trimmed )
160grn : head length : 32mm Sierra , Dia: .264 SMP
The length of my barrel: I will get back to you on this.
Thanks

Sounds like a good powder for the cartridge a slow burning rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TraceeHigh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!