AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hi folks,

Rules are tightening up where I am on using non-lead bullets for hunting.

I'm going to try and reload .44 mag in my 20" barrel 44 lever action using 2 Peregrine bullets:

180gr Hog
205gr VRG3

Anyone got any experience of these?

Powders I have:

Hodgdon H110 (Though I get the feeling I really need to find some Magnum pistol primers for that).
Vihtavouri N110

Game will be impala sized and maybe a little bigger. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Scrummy

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
H110 does require magnum primers for consistent ignition. It is a difficult to ignite powder. Great results in my rifles though. Sorry I can't comment on the bullets, no experience.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Hi folks,

I'm going to try and reload .44 mag in my 20" barrel 44 lever action using 2 Peregrine bullets:

180gr Hog
205gr VRG3

Powders I have:

Hodgdon H110 (Though I get the feeling I really need to find some Magnum pistol primers for that).
Vihtavouri N110

Game will be impala sized and maybe a little bigger. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
No need for magnum primers in the 44 mag with H110 as it is a fast burning easy to ignite powder.
Bob

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'll split the difference with the mag primers for H110. I've used both and both make the gun go bang with similar noise, recoil and trajectory but I haven't chronographed them to know if there is a significant difference in the velocities that would be a result of burn rate caused by the primer ignition. so I guess that I'm not much help, however Wa state does appear to be well on it's way to banning the use of lead so I'll likely need to find some non-lead bullets in the near future.

Scrumbag

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
@Scrumbag
No need for magnum primers in the 44 mag with H110 as it is a fast burning easy to ignite powder.
Bob
G'day @Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Maybe it's just my primers but I get a really black, mucky case with standard primers also a lot of vertical stringing. Tried some other loads with mag primers and much cleaner cases and tighter groups.

Scrummy

krish

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hi folks,

180gr Hog
205gr VRG3

Powders I have:

Vihtavouri N110

Scrummy
Barnes buster bullets
Krish

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
I use 200gr Barnes XPB bullets with 24grs of H-110 and a MAG PRIMER. It is recommended to use mag primers with H-110 and I have found it best to do so. This load was on a slip of paper in my 1st boxes of these bullets I got from Barnes. It works well.

Scrumbag

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
I use 200gr Barnes XPB bullets with 24grs of H-110 and a MAG PRIMER. It is recommended to use mag primers with H-110 and I have found it best to do so. This load was on a slip of paper in my 1st boxes of these bullets I got from Barnes. It works well.
Thanks very much!

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Scrumbag, I use Winchester Large Pistol primers in my 44 Mag(s) including my Ruger Deerslayer which is a short semi automatic rifle that was discontinued thirty odd years ago. We cannot Peregrine bullets in the States. Wish we could. I'd limit shots to less than 125 yds. for the game you mentioned.

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Scrumbag, I use Winchester Large Pistol primers in my 44 Mag(s) including my Ruger Deerslayer which is a short semi automatic rifle that was discontinued thirty odd years ago. We cannot Peregrine bullets in the States. Wish we could. I'd limit shots to less than 125 yds. for the game you mentioned.
When I went to Anticosti island some years ago to hunt deer, my dad loaned his .243 to a guy who was going to be overlooking a ravine and took his Ruger Deerslayer with some 240 grain XTP handloads. He got a shot at a decent sized deer at over 130 yards. Aimed at the top of her back and dumped her on the spot..44 mag from an 18.5" barrel is no joke! I have had 3 leverguns in it as well... it definitely works!

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
I used to get some very good velocities with 180 g slugs using alliant 2400. As I recall it was fairly clean burning in comparison to some of the more traditional ball powders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IPIJannett

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby