Reloader 17 - Accurate in 30-06, 7-08, 243Win. 257 Roberts, 375 H&H?

TallGrassHunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

Most of my reloading books are old enough that RL 17 isn't listed. I'm wondering if any here have worked up loads with RL 17, or have current loading manual listing RL 17 for the above cartridges. Preferably accurate loads but I would be most interested minimum and maximum charges as well. Thank you in advance for any information, much appreciated.

Hogden and Nosler have excellent load data on their websites

Hogden and Nosler have excellent load data on their websites

I visit the Hogden/IMR/WIN. and have never seen RL 17 listed. Am I missing it? As I have 3 of the Nosler manuals (all split at the binding, they need a new printing co.) I have never looked at their site. Will go to Nosler right now.

I visit the Hogden/IMR/WIN. and have never seen RL 17 listed. Am I missing it? As I have 3 of the Nosler manuals (all split at the binding, they need a new printing co.) I have never looked at their site. Will go to Nosler right now.
Sorry I thought Hogden would list all powders, the Nosler site will have what your looking for

Sorry I thought Hogden would list all powders, the Nosler site will have what your looking for

I very much appreciate you helping, just wouldn't be the first time I couldn't find something right in front of me.

And Eddie, thank you. Will have a look.

Why not try the Alliant site? They sell the stuff.

Why not try the Alliant site? They sell the stuff.

Lack of critical thinking? I was hoping to cheat a bit. You know how Nosler lists the most accurate charge for each powder? Would like to have started with a good point of reference for what may be the best charge weight for each listed cartridge.

I hear ya, I like how some books list the most accurate powder per bullet weight. But it wont necessarily apply to our guns, only the barrels used in testing. I have not tried 17 yet because I have such good success with 19 and 22, in the '06 at least.

I hear ya, I like how some books list the most accurate powder per bullet weight. But it wont necessarily apply to our guns, only the barrels used in testing. I have not tried 17 yet because I have such good success with 19 and 22, in the '06 at least.
They do list Barrel length and twist rates which is a bit of a help, I use their data in some of my experiments and sometimes my results are better than theirs

Yep, Nosler has saved me heaps of time and powder in getting a good load. I know that my chamber isn't the same as theirs, but heck my chamber probably isn't the same as it was 200 rounds ago. I've found Nosler to be much more accurate than not, not too many times have I found a better load than they suggest + a grain. I'm babbling, but I have bought a couple pounds of RL 17 because of my success with 15/19/22. They've been amongst the best powders for me.

They do list Barrel length and twist rates which is a bit of a help, I use their data in some of my experiments and sometimes my results are better than theirs
I use a lot of RL in my Rifles but I found my 375HH seems to shoot the best with some Win760 as does my 308

My 375 H & H shoots the 300 grain bullets much better charged with W760, but for the lighter bullets RL 15 has been the best. I can't help myself and try a bunch of different powders/charges. I've only 1 load with RL19 that is really good in the 375. I can look it up if anyone needs it.

My 375 H & H shoots the 300 grain bullets much better charged with W760, but for the lighter bullets RL 15 has been the best. I can't help myself and try a bunch of different powders/charges. I've only 1 load with RL19 that is really good in the 375. I can look it up if anyone needs it.
Something about WIN 760 and 300g bullets!

Shoot Alliant an email through their website. I did that for .375 H&H and they actually have a wealth of data for everything from 260 Accubond up to a 300 grainer, they just don't post it on their website. I personally load 76 or 77 Grains (don't have my load book right now.) behind a 270 grain SP. It is no where near a max load and it gives me 2,650 fps from my Winchester M70 with a 24" barrel. I did try a load that was 1 grain under max one time and it gave me 2,815fps and no pressure signs, but was unnecessary. It is a great powder for these cartridges. The only one you may find it hard to get the most out of is the 7mm-08. I am not sure you have enough capacity in that cartridge to really take it to its full potential with RL17.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg