Relive - South Africa

tarbe, Your waterbuck horns look like they should, natural. Nice earthen color at the base and darker towards the tips. Paul must have touched them up after boiling. Same with the "goat". Did that cost extra?

Since Brickburn didn't answer, I will say not that I know of? There are fallow deer in RSA but they are not plain game. All of the horns grow and then they decline with age and wear. You will see pictures of eland, nyala, oryx, springbok, nyala, cape buffalo, bushbuck...etc. on AH with worn down horns.

Only a few inches of core are needed for attaching horns to the skull. No need to ship bulky, heavy cores, plus if allowed to dry without the horns on them they can twist differently and not allow the horns to go back on anyway.

...PLEASE come up with a US distributor for your forms ;) I read on taxidermy.next back several years this was in the works ??

Check out Ohio Taxidermy supply, they have a line of Travis De Villers African forms in the works, so far just Springbok is ready but they are sculpted just like the ones he did for Relive.

Thanks Diamond- I'll check it out, I know Breakthrough recently did an article on Travis scuplting a lion

tarbe, Your waterbuck horns look like they should, natural. Nice earthen color at the base and darker towards the tips. Paul must have touched them up after boiling. Same with the "goat". Did that cost extra?

The only thing I specified on the mounts was wall ped vs shoulder vs floor ped and which way the head turns. I pretty much let Paul do his thing (and frankly, he gave me some advice regarding other options vs what I initially requested and I took his advice...and glad I did).

I am not a taxidermy guru and I had seen enough of Paul's work that looked great, to feel comfortable letting him use his own judgment. I was quite sure I would like what he produced.

As far as the natural vs blackened horns, I am pretty sure there is no right or wrong answer...unless your wife has a strong opinion!

In my case, my wife prefers the dark horns, particularly on the Kudu. For us, I think Paul got it just right!

Tim

Fine looking mounts Tim! I will have Paul mount my next batch for sure.

Yeah, it is a sickness. I will be there in 2016 and 2017 for sure.

tim I know that sa goat is getting the best spot in the house though. looking forward to seeing what did with your eland.

Warbird has some big bills coming up after his daughter gets done in 2017.

I met Paul for the first time last night.
What a great guy, this is definitely someone you could work with.

The only thing I specified on the mounts was wall ped vs shoulder vs floor ped and which way the head turns. I pretty much let Paul do his thing (and frankly, he gave me some advice regarding other options vs what I initially requested and I took his advice...and glad I did).

That is high praise indeed, by trusting Paul to do his thing. It's good to work with a person who offers advice on work in his area of expertise. I experienced the same thing with a remodeling job in my home. A taxidermist who interacts with his clients offering options based on his expertise would inspire my trust in his work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois