Relief For Namibian Farmers As Etosha National Park Fence Is Upgraded

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/r...osha-national-park-fence-is-upgraded-43513670

Relief for Namibian farmers as Etosha National Park fence is upgraded

full

PRETORIA – Communal farmers in Namibia’s Ananke area have expressed gratitude to government for upgrading the damaged fence on the Etosha National Park, which had left them vulnerable to wild animals before repairs.

Online Namibian publication, New Era Live reported that the farmers said they were living in fear of wild animals such as lions, hyenas, elephants and rhinos due to the damage.

One community member, Julia Joseph, a resident of Ananke village, told New Era Live that the state of the fence had led to livestock loss over the years.

“We are very happy for the fence upgrading. We lived in fear for years due to wild animals. We use to lose our livestock all the time. I lost two donkeys in 2017 but received nothing in terms of compensation,” said Joseph.

One community member, Julia Joseph, a resident of Ananke village, told New Era Live that the state of the fence had led to livestock loss over the years.

“We are very happy for the fence upgrading. We lived in fear for years due to wild animals. We use to lose our livestock all the time. I lost two donkeys in 2017 but received nothing in terms of compensation,” said Joseph.

Nangolo Sakeus said he also lived in fear for years as he would often stumble upon dangerous animals such as lions and elephants. He thanked the government for the upgrade.

Namibia’s environment and tourism minister, Pohamba Shifeta, told the publication that the ongoing upgrades would no longer be put out to tender as middlemen pocketed huge amounts of money and did shoddy work.

“If we were to continue using private companies or contractors to construct the game proof fence at Etosha National Park, it is estimated that it would cost in excess of N$700 000 per kilometre. For the 712 kilometers still remaining, this project would, therefore, cost the government an estimated amount of N$500 million,” Shifeta was quoted as saying.

The government is expected to spend around N$10 million over the next three years fixing the fence.

Nangolo Sakeus said he also lived in fear for years as he would often stumble upon dangerous animals such as lions and elephants. He thanked the government for the upgrade.

Namibia’s environment and tourism minister, Pohamba Shifeta, told the publication that the ongoing upgrades would no longer be put out to tender as middlemen pocketed huge amounts of money and did shoddy work.

“If we were to continue using private companies or contractors to construct the game proof fence at Etosha National Park, it is estimated that it would cost in excess of N$700 000 per kilometre. For the 712 kilometers still remaining, this project would, therefore, cost the government an estimated amount of N$500 million,” Shifeta was quoted as saying.

The government is expected to spend around N$10 million over the next three years fixing the fence.

Thanks for sharing. We in the West often forget who lives next to the wild animals and has to deal with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross