Reliability of single-shot rifles

7x65R is a good cartridge choice in a kipp rifle also. Juan Carlosed liked much a Scheiring in 7mm STW for mountain use.

Yeah, but those straight stocks are rubbish with iron sights. Isn't that what the hogsback stocks were designed for?
No. The “straight” stocks also work with irons if the rifle was stocked correctly. All my Blasers align perfectly with either, as do my Sako’s, Rigby, etc. I have seen a couple of new .22 Rugers where there would have been an issue, But not with the quality of the rifles you are considering.

Given what you have described, the R8, with suitable duplicates of bolt head group, FCU should solve your reliability questions. Likely you'll never need the, but the R8 allow one to easily change many of the parts that might go wrong, exchange them is no tools, at light weight.

The Browning BLR comes in a take down model. Also a lot of different calibers.

I like the BLR and think the take down could possibly work if he could find one. The only problem could be the trigger weight as they are advertised to be like 4 pounds but in reality they come in at about 8. Even after having Browning fix mine, they would only give me 5 1/2 pounds. They can be adjusted down to around 3 pounds, but there is are fewer than 10 gunsmiths in the USA who can do it --- and none likely in Europe unless the blr is distributed there? A very qualified gunsmith might figure it out but what happens if they screw it up - there a browning repair facility in the individual's country?

I like mine though (y)

none likely in Europe unless the blr is distributed there?

BLR is available in Europe, but I’ve no idea if there are any gunsmiths knowledgable about them. As for repairs I’m guessing they might be made in Portugal, so would probably be serviced there. The repair centres web page on browning.eu lists the dealers’ details, I don’t think they would have dedicated smith’s service available for them.

BLR is available in Europe, but I’ve no idea if there are any gunsmiths knowledgable about them. As for repairs I’m guessing they might be made in Portugal, so would probably be serviced there. The repair centres web page on browning.eu lists the dealers’ details, I don’t think they would have dedicated smith’s service available for them.

They are made in Japan

I couldn't find a true synthetic K95...

The only one that is available in synthetic is a carbon fiber stock that @JanP mentioned earlier in the thread. At a cost of $11,000 USD, £7,800 or €9000...if one could be found, it's out of the OP's price range of £2K.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
We can not get the true synthetic in America.

Owned k95,R8 and no.1.
Lightest is the K95,by quite a bit.
I sold the Ruger because I found it to heavy for what I wanted.
Sold the K because I didn’t use it and a friend wanted one.I loved that gun though,but I’m selling things I don’t use.
Still have the R8.Not a beautiful gun,to my eyes,but does some things that no other guns can.
My K95 was with a straight stock and no open sights.
One rimmed caliber,one not,no problem with either.
I don’t drag my guns through mud but I did hunt in rain and snow without a problem.
Never did any dismantling other than fore end,barrel and whatchamacallit breechthing.

Hi Frodo
I have been fortunate enough to have hunted around the world with the K95 for over 25 years. There isn’t a better hunting companion then a K95. They are superbly accurate, bare rifle weighs around 5.5 lbs. compact , a 26” magnum barrel will be the same length as a regular bolt action with a 22” tube. The scope mounting system is simple and second to no other, repeatable after removing every time and if I may suggest a gem of a scope just to keep the rifle perfect a Swarvoski Z6i 1.7-10 x42 BT with the SR rail mounting system. Beautiful trigger, safe cocking / de cocking slide . You were asking about reliability. I have hunted in the hot dry and dusty Aussie out back and top end to New Zealand tops, Africa, Alaska peninsula and we all know how wet that can be, to the freezing winds, snow at -30 in Mongolia. Never once has that little rifle ever let me down.
Please Please forget about all the BS about of rimmed cases, I have 6 barrels and none of them fire a rimmed cartridge. Calibers range from the 220 Wilson arrow to the 338 RUM. Here is a 10 shot group at 100 yards and I pulled the flyer.
In my opinion there isn’t a better mountain rifle or what ever you want to use it for then a K 95.
Ken

3EC49BAD-99A0-4008-80DE-A0A833FD2876.jpeg

I owned several Ruger #1 rifles some years ago. None of them would shoot 5 shots in less than an inch at 100 yds but none of them did worse than 1.5" groups. IMO, the single shot rifles have plenty of accuracy for hunting out to 300-400 yds with good loads and good scope. I hunted deer successfully with the Ruger #1's for 10-12 years. For comparison, some of my bolt action rifles would shoot 0.3" and 0.5" five shot groups.

True hunting story: I once fired 3 shots in less than 30 seconds with Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem and killed 2 eight point white tail bucks about 25 yds apart.

I wonder if the newer production is more accurate. I recently sold a No 1 in 9.3x62 that shot well under 1” groups. I am currently playing with a No 1 in .275 that shoots 1/2” groups at 100. My older production No 1 in .22 hornet was terrible until I worked up a load with 50 gr Speer TNT’s that made it a sub moa rifle. It won’t shoot any factory ammo accurately.

Although I don’t have experience any of the rifles you mentioned, I’ve used Ruger #1’s and T/C Contenders (handgun) and Encores (rifles and handgun) in some ugly conditions, rain, dust and snow, without issue.
As far as accuracy, some can be a little tempermental, but usually you can get 1” or less.
Rimmed or rimless rounds haven’t ever given me any issues. (.223, .22/250, .243, .25/06, 7-30 Waters, .280, 7mm Rem mag, 308, .300 Win mag, .340 Wby mag, .357 Herrett, 9.3x74R, .375 H&H .45/70 and .458 Lott and maybe a couple of others))

Thanks for all the suggestions and insights.

I ended up purchasing a Merkel K5 in .308, with a Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42 (rail mount).

Shoots very well and is nice to carry (especially without a scope mounted on top - which can make these light Kipplaufs quite top-heavy, and reduces your ability to wrap your hand right around the rifle).

The irons are perfectly sufficient for shots at <100m, and the scope lives in the pack until it's required. Despite the VERY shot sight radius, I was able to manage 2-3" groups at 100m, and around 1.5" at 50m.

The rifle can in fact be 'field stripped', in the sense that the recoil pad can be removed to access an Allen screw deep inside the butt. This allows you to remove the butt section of the firearm, which gives you access to the rifles innards (cocking mechanism etc, etc). Very easy to do, and it provides some extra peace of mind when hunting in wet weather.

It was a toss up between the K95 and the Merkel K5. Not much between them other than aesthetics, and the Merkel was immediately available.

Ahoj všetci,

Uvažujem o kúpe kvalitnej jednoranovej pušky na bušový a vysokohorský lov na Novom Zélande. Veľa cestujem pešo (a príležitostne verejnou dopravou), takže by som chcel kompaktnú, ľahkú pušku, ktorú by som mohol rozložiť a uložiť do batohu.

Momentálne sa prikláňam k Merkelovej K5 (čo je v podstate to isté ako Blaser K95 - len trochu iné esteticky).

Stretnem sa s dlhotrvajúcimi vlhkými, blatovými (a niekedy ľadovými) podmienkami. Zaujímalo by ma, či by to zvládla jednoranová puška?

Aký je príbeh týchto jednoranových pušiek, na rozdiel od pušky so skrutkovým mechanizmom, ktorú je možné úplne odstrániť z poľa (pre prístup k úderníku, spúšťovému mechanizmu atď.)? Môžete sa dostať do útrob týchto pušiek (v teréne), aby ste všetko vysušili? Alebo to zahŕňa veľa malých kolíkov a nemotorných skrutiek?

Existujú nejaké ďalšie problémy so spoľahlivosťou, o ktorých by som mal vedieť?

Ak jednoranová puška nie je vhodná, dám si na mieru vyrobenú nerezovú/syntetickú pušku so „snímačom“.

Na zdravie.
Som profesionálny poľovník zo Slovenska. Mal som možnosť strieľať zo všetkých 3 zbraní na strelnici hoci Merkel bola K 3. Blaser K 95 a Krieghoff Hubertus som využíval aj pri love. Všetko sú to kvalitné a pekné zbrane. Záleží na tom, ktorá Vám sadne najlepšie. Ja som ostal pri Krieghoffe má priamejsiu pazbu, čo mne viac vyhovuje. Taktiež Krieghoff pri vystreleni a prebiti ostane napnuty, takže netreba znova naťahovať ako pri K 95 a K 3. Kaliber by som doporučoval R kovy čiže s okrajom nie len kvôli okraju ale aj tvaru nabojnice a ľahšiemu prebijaniu. Prajem šťastnú ruku pri vybere a veľa poľovníckych úspechov.

@hubertushk

Vitajte na fóre!
Ak je to možné, skúste použiť angličtinu, pretože väčšina členov tu hovorí anglicky.
Môžete použiť aj google translator, zo slovenského do anglického jazyka.

Welcome to the forum!
If possible try to use English, as most of members here are English speaking.
You can also use google translator, from Slovak to English language.

I translated your post by using google translator:
I am a professional hunter from Slovakia. I had the opportunity to shoot from all 3 weapons on the shooting range, although Merkel was a K 3. Blaser K 95 and I also used Krieghoff Hubertus when hunting. They are all quality and nice weapons. It depends on which one suits you best. I stayed with Krieghoff, it has a more better look, which suits me better. Also Krieghoff will remain taut when firing and reloading, so there is no need to stretch again as with K 95 and K 3. Caliber I would recommend R cartridges, ie with an edge not only because of the edge but also the shape of the cartridge case and easier reloading. I wish you a happy hand in the selection and a lot of hunting success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross