Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
In my quest for increased accuracy while preparing/practicing for my hunt in Namibia, I purchased a thumb release aid about two weeks ago. I have used a trigger/index finger release aid for 12 years, so it is taking some getting used to, but I've now got five arrows into a 3 inch circle at 20 yards.

The questi0n I failed to ask myself was, "Will this type of release slow my reaction time when hunting?" Or, "How well will this release work when shooting out of a blind in Namibia, or while spot and stalking game, etc?"

Punching paper is fine as it helps to build consistency, but it is not the same as hunting.

Have any of you fellow bow hunters ever experienced any hunting issues using thumb release or back tension release aids while hunting? If yes, how were you hunting/situation, and what type of release aid?

I plan to take both types of releases on my trip, but it would be nice to hear of real peoples experiences, good or bad.

Thanks,
WK

ive only ever played with thumb releases at my club shooting 3d , I cant get used to them
I use either a scot rhino hook release , or my favourite scott itty bitty goose
which ever your most comfortable with , is the one id use . I prefer to use the rhino when stalking as I don't need to look when hooking it up

Reactions: lcq
In my quest for increased accuracy while preparing/practicing for my hunt in Namibia, I purchased a thumb release aid about two weeks ago. I have used a trigger/index finger release aid for 12 years, so it is taking some getting used to, but I've now got five arrows into a 3 inch circle at 20 yards.

The questi0n I failed to ask myself was, "Will this type of release slow my reaction time when hunting?" Or, "How well will this release work when shooting out of a blind in Namibia, or while spot and stalking game, etc?"

Punching paper is fine as it helps to build consistency, but it is not the same as hunting.

Have any of you fellow bow hunters ever experienced any hunting issues using thumb release or back tension release aids while hunting? If yes, how were you hunting/situation, and what type of release aid?

I plan to take both types of releases on my trip, but it would be nice to hear of real peoples experiences, good or bad.

Thanks,
WK

In another life on the 3D trail I used a back tension release to practice and stop the habit of punching the release. For hunting a good strap / index release is what I would use. The strap helps with a heavy draw and you can hold the index behind the trigger sort of like a safety.

my $0.02

I use the Stan SX3 thumb release. I'm way more accurate with thumb releases than index finger releases. No problem hunting with a thumb release for me.

little off topic, but reminded me of my first release, i went cheap, too cheap and after 3 arrows decided i need to buy a good release. On my third arrow as i was drawing back the release let go and i punched myself right in the nose, and let me tell you, i can punch hard lol
near broke my nose, blood everywhere mixed in with the tears and to rub salt in the wound the kids sat there and laughed at me

I like the wrist strap style release, allows me to use my hand while knowing the release is always there, never tried the thumb style

I use the index/trigger release. I like things to be as similar as possible and since the index/trigger is almost exactly the same as the trigger on my rifles, I do not have to learn a new system.

little off topic, but reminded me of my first release, i went cheap, too cheap and after 3 arrows decided i need to buy a good release. On my third arrow as i was drawing back the release let go and i punched myself right in the nose, and let me tell you, i can punch hard lol
near broke my nose, blood everywhere mixed in with the tears and to rub salt in the wound the kids sat there and laughed at me

:E Rofl:

I like the wrist strap style release, allows me to use my hand while knowing the release is always there, never tried the thumb style
Dobber,

Sounds like you had a case of "release bite". I haven't had this happen yet, and I hope it never does.

WK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg