Reflex Optic Advice for Krieghoff .470 double rifle

Beck

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello AH Community. I recently purchased my first double rifle, a Krieghoff Classic Big Five, and I am looking for a red-dot or reflex site to mount on the gun. Do any of you have suggestions on optics, and mounting systems?

Leica Tempus on Recknagel mount. On and off in seconds.

Image1616340082.761794.jpg

Image1616340111.629983.jpg

Aimpoint with krighoff mount works well I had merkel milled out to accept mount that’s it in avatar

Yes, it’s quick detachable. It’s the Recknagel 47635-0150. There’s another version that uses screw instead of lever, but this one look a bit more discreet.
Image1616342144.009617.jpg

There’s a Gentleman on this forum (Scandinavian I think) who had posted pictures of his K gun with an Aimpoint sight on Hirtenberger mount. Otherwise just about any Noblex/Docter 15mm dovetail mount should work for most red dots out there. Needless to say, for a big bore get a mount from a reputable company such as Hirtenberger or Recknagel. I actually wasn’t planning on putting the sight on my rifle but I bought the sight for different purpose, it didn’t really work for it so I spent few more bucks and got a mount for my double.

My double is a Chapuis and it has removable blocks in the top rib so I was able to mount a Trijicon RMR on it flush to the rib. Works great.

If it has a claw base, u can use a rail conversion and pretty much anything you want at that point. Reflex sight would be great on it, imo .

Originally, I had the Trijicon on my double. It worked great. I am now changing over to the Docter/Noblex due to the lower mounting ability.

I have a Leica on my 9.3 bolt and enjoy it

There are a lot of great choices here. On my k gun, I bought a blank mount and had a cnc shop mill it for that little space right by the breech. Now I went with a Burris fast fire 3 moa and it works great but if I did it again It would be a trijicon 1 moa.

Hello AH Community. I recently purchased my first double rifle, a Krieghoff Classic Big Five, and I am looking for a red-dot or reflex site to mount on the gun. Do any of you have suggestions on optics, and mounting systems?
I have the New Kahles that I had JJ Perodeau mount for me. It is perfect as it is clear and very small so it does not distract from the beauty of the double. Theoretically I wonder how any sight can stay perfectly on with all that recoil.

If it has a claw base, u can use a rail conversion and pretty much anything you want at that point. Reflex sight would be great on it, imo .
A rail mount conversion on a DR?

Personally I prefer the Aimpoint....

A rail mount conversion on a DR?
Ive only had 1 dr. So im not too familiar with the set up. But ive read about it when i was choosing my sight. I seem to remember its all about the rib contour as to what your able to do to certain rifles.

Leica Tempus on Recknagel mount. On and off in seconds.

View attachment 394000
View attachment 394001
So I purchased the Recknagel bases, and the Leica reflex site, but I am experiencing a few issues.
First, the screws included in the package (there were six of them, with differing heads and sizes) are not long enough to fit through the Leica device and into the base. The screw holes appear to match up…..the screws just aren’t long enough?

Second, when I try to put the mount onto the rifle, the dovetails appear to match up pretty well, but I can’t get the Recknagel’s lever arm to tighten down on the base because the arm cannot be rotated enough because it makes contact with the barrels on the rifle.

Any advice for me?

Also I have a trip in thirty days so I'd love to get this figured out.

Last edited:
So I purchased the Recknagel bases, and the Leica reflex site, but I am experiencing a few issues.
First, the screws included in the package (there were six of them, with differing heads and sizes) are not long enough to fit through the Leica device and into the base. The screw holes appear to match up…..the screws just aren’t long enough?

Second, when I try to put the mount onto the rifle, the dovetails appear to match up pretty well, but I can’t get the Recknagel’s lever arm to tighten down on the base because the arm cannot be rotated enough because it makes contact with the barrels on the rifle.

Any advice for me?

Also I have a trip in thirty days so I'd love to get this figured out.

I had screws that came with the base and screws that came with the sight, not sure which ones I ended up using but at least one set worked.

As for the lever, pre adjust it before mounting on the barrel, once that’s done it takes about half a turn from lock to unlock.

I had screws that came with the base and screws that came with the sight, not sure which ones I ended up using but at least one set worked.

As for the lever, pre adjust it before mounting on the barrel, once that’s done it takes about half a turn from lock to unlock.
Thanks!

i have a burris fastfire 3 on a very light 12ga 3.5" and it has held zero thru many magnum shell. i don,t know how the recoil of a 470 double compares to my shotgun, but its brutul with 3.5" magnums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you