Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
Starting to plan a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand and would like to hear from anyone that has information on best time of the year, people to hunt with, any problems bring back trophy, cost of shipping trophy back and anything I should know. I am planning on using a 300 WM.

@Bhfs300 ,

I hunted NZ last year around this time, it was awesome! If your only going for stag, usually anytime during April is good, probably the first 3 weeks best. I was there the last week of April last year and the stags were still roaring, the fallow were croaking, and the tahr were starting to get the winter coats! No problems getting the trophies back to the US. 300 WM will be a great gun to take. Give Jim Gibson at New Zealand Safaris a call and tell him I said hello, He is a great guide, tons of game, and no helicopter rides necessary for tahr and chamois.

Best of luck,

Charles

I was there a couple of years ago. Charles has the timing right. If you can have the trophies cleaned up in time you can bring them back as baggage. Saves a good deal over having them shipped. I hunted with peter Chamberlin. Here is a thread where we were asked if anyone had hunted with him. It also has a link to my hunt with him. http://www.africahunting.com/threads/anyone-hunted-with-peter-chamberlain.23285/#post-205143
Good luck and have fun. Bruce

I'm hunting red stag next summer with BJ Holdsworth of Ample Hunting. Stag Rut is in the spring if you want to hear them roar. You'll need to figure out if you want free range or estate stags, north island or South Island, other animals to hunt (tahr, chamois on South Island, fallow on both, goats and sheep up north), etc.

Bhfs300,

Your 300 is perfect.

My hunted started May 23rd 2015. Stacey Anderson. He is priced right.

Are you wanting to hunt the roar, then March and April. Are you wanting prime hides/ capes, then May 21 of later. Tahr rut in May, hides are prime and come out of the woodwork. I did a spike camp in the mountains for Tahr, it is awesome but there may be a helicopter charge.

You can do free range, stags are smaller or estate, stags are larger, depends on your budget.

Shipping trophies back is spendy from NZ. My Stag (400 class), Tahr and 2 Paradise Ducks was just shy of $2.000. No problems and arrival is within 3 months.

Enjoy the planning and hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone
I sent out some inquiries out but have not heard back. Sounds like they are in the middle of the busy time of their guiding season.

Starting to plan a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand and would like to hear from anyone that has information on best time of the year, people to hunt with, any problems bring back trophy, cost of shipping trophy back and anything I should know. I am planning on using a 300 WM.
I hunted with Shane Quinn of Alpine hunting NZ. Certainly one of the best when it comes to game quality, service ,guides, food just about everything. I highly recommend them. I can send you some pictures if you like. I hunted in April just missed the roar. They roar in MARCH

I also hunted with Shane last March. It is a class act. I shot a fallow stag and elk

Thanks johnnyblues and Iwaters
does look like their website is the best one.
do you have any pictures of what you had done with your mounts?

Here you go

image.jpeg

I hunted last year with Wilderness Quest NZ on the south island. Estate Stag (~360) and spike camp tahr. Ann was along and really liked the cabin we had for the stag hunting. The spike hunt was quite the experience (after getting the tahr we got storm locked for 2 1/2 days). I also considered Jim Gibson, but didn't move quickly enough and his hunt was sold. I was very happy with Zion Pilgrim and his guide Jimmy.

Sounds like a great hunt.

Johnny great pedistal mount! I am thinking that or a wall pedistal. I only have one wall big enough to put a trophy that big.
Lwaters great fallow deer but I can only do one
Animal this time.

Hi BJ

What do you think from an African web site?

Maybe you should belong to this web site!!!!

Could be a good way to see what people are talking about:)

Tom

Hello Bhfs300,

The best time to hunt New Zealand for Red stag is March through April if you are hunting free range red stag and March through June if you are hunting estate stag. The ideal time to hunt red stag is March 10th through April 10th which normally encompasses the rut or Roar as it is called in New Zealand. If you hunt post rut, you may have to deal with some broken tines. The stag are usually in their best condition in March and they come out of velvet in mid to late February.

If you plan to also hunt Tahr and Chamois I would recommend that you plan your hunt for mid-May to early July when the chamois are in their winter colors and the Tahr have their winter coats. The Tahr can grow up to 6 additional inches of mane between May and July and will also become darker in color.

Your .300 WM is an ideal caliber and it is easy to import a rifle into New Zealand at a very small cost. Keep in mind that you may incur an extra baggage fee by the airlines for a second piece of luggage. Bringing your trophy back is not to difficult but does require the outfitter to export the capes, horns and antlers o the USA. Most hunters usually get their trophies back in 4-6 months.

Gary\'s Stag 497SCI.jpg
Gary\'s & James WEB .jpg

That is a monster Red Stag I think it out of my tax bracket:). What did it measure?

Thanks for the info!

That is a monster Red Stag I think it out of my tax bracket:). What did it measure?

Thanks for the info!

I think it was just shy of 500".

By what I have seen I am thinking in the 400 range with decent crowns. Don't want to get one that just looks like a big elk:)

Seems high for 375 inches even with the dollar break if I would like one in the 400" range.
What if the New Zealand dollar comes up before I go hunting it cost me more. The people I have made contact with are only talking US $.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber