Red Stag Gores Hunter

I would not exactly call that a goring rather he got some horn as the stag charged by......a goring is something entirely different......

I suppose it is mainly a southern US tradition, but buckshot and driven game/dog hunting has been used here in the south since the early 1900’s. As @justin wiles mentioned its fairly common, though its a bit of a dying way of hunting as populations increase there is less and less places to run dogs.

Truth be told, I’m a bit surprised its not encouraged more in heavily populated ares many of which are archery only.

Perhaps, one thing to remember is that our southern whitetail are quite a bit smaller than their northern counterparts.

Delivering between 1500 and 2000 ftlbs of energy, buckshot is quite lethal at appropriate ranges and is quite handy on quick moving game.

To be fair one would not go deer hunting with shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot.
I would guess that thousands of whitetail deer are killed each year with 00 buckshot, I’ve probably taken a dozen or so. All taken in the southeast US. Don’t think I would tackle a red deer though.

I would not exactly call that a goring rather he got some horn as the stag charged by......a goring is something entirely different......
Wonder if that poor chap on the receiving end would dispute this....

To be fair one would not go deer hunting with shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot.
I don’t know the laws there, but it is called buckshot for a reason and people do still hunt deer with it when they are in some thick stuff and expect to jump bedding deer and have close shots at them moving quickly.

In thguys defense…

We have the ability (thanks to YouTube) to Monday morning quarterback this from an armchair…in super slow motion

He may not have been looking in the direction of the deer when it showed itself. This would account for how slowly he reacted.

He could of held off firing because of the others in the hunting party were in close proximity as well. Lots of factors to consider.

In addition to this, he’s being charged by an animal and most likely seeing this for the first time in his life. Experience and training play a factor and if he’s not a professional guide, then by default he’s an amateur at animals charging.

I’m not sure how I would have reacted to a situation like this, but I can guarantee if that was me…I’d need serious medical attention as well.

Hope the guy got the attention he needed.

In thguys defense…

We have the ability (thanks to YouTube) to Monday morning quarterback this from an armchair…in super slow motion

He may not have been looking in the direction of the deer when it showed itself. This would account for how slowly he reacted.

He could of held off firing because of the others in the hunting party were in close proximity as well. Lots of factors to consider.

In addition to this, he’s being charged by an animal and most likely seeing this for the first time in his life. Experience and training play a factor and if he’s not a professional guide, then by default he’s an amateur at animals charging.

I’m not sure how I would have reacted to a situation like this, but I can guarantee if that was me…I’d need serious medical attention as well.

Hope the guy got the attention he needed.
I think some bit of the criticism is valid. His camara was on the animal. I assume he was using a GoPro and it was mounted on his head or chest. If so, then he was looking in the direction of the buck. Plus, he was talking about something interesting in front of him, so I think he was square to the buck.

He had plenty of “real time” to raise his rifle for at least one shot. Your observation he may be an amateur is, I believe, the most likely explanation. Either that or he was unaccustomed to hunting large game in thick brush. I spend a lot of time hunting dear, bear, and hogs in thick brush and am mentally prepared for a quick shot on a charging animal. It does not appear from the video that the hunter ever considered having to defend himself and never moved to take the shot. This is either on him or his host or guide.

I am no expert but based on my assessment of the video I would not say the hunter was charged by the stag , it looks more to me that the stag was trying to make an escape and collided with the hunter whilst fleeing , but I might be wrong . Whatever the reason the result would be the same I suppose .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg