Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Hi All, i want to fit a red recoil pad to my Ruger No1 Tropical 375, not just for the aesthetics, but to also tame the recoil a bit (I am a whimp). Not a slip on, I mean a screw on replacement. Is there a make and model that is a direct fit with no trimming necessary? Whilst I am about it I may as well also fit a recoil reducer into the stock - what would you recommend? Thanks.

Not getting any replies to this, please guys let me know if you have any information, I need to import the correct items. Thanks, kevin

Kevin,
I use the red Pachmayr decelerator old English pad but it will require fitting. I can’t help you much on recoil reducers but dig around the site a bit. I believe that there was thread on this subject with a lot of good info.
Bill

I think @Philip Glass recommends the Edwards recoil reducer. He can chime in about them. I have a Blaser recoil reducer in an R8 (actually my son’s). I would say it takes recoil down by about 20%.

I’ve also had Pachmayer installed, they help. (But I did black on an black synthetic stock)

Yes I have Edwards in most all my rifles but the Blasers. If I could just get Edwards to engineer one for the R8.
I believe in them for sure. They add no weight unlike the others.
I think @Philip Glass recommends the Edwards recoil reducer. He can chime in about them. I have a Blaser recoil reducer in an R8 (actually my son’s). I would say it takes recoil down by about 20%.

I’ve also had Pachmayer installed, they help. (But I did black on an black synthetic stock)
my

Yes I have Edwards in most all my rifles but the Blasers. If I could just get Edwards to engineer one for the R8.
I believe in them for sure. They add no weight unlike the others.

my
Hi Philip, do you know if the Edwards has mercury in it? If not I can order one online and get it shipped over airfreight. I am looking into getting a replacement stock done in SA, then they can fit the Edwards and a Pachmeyer pad. I was toying with doing one myself out of teak, but the snag is I can't do checkering.

Thanks Tra3

Kevin,
I use the red Pachmayr decelerator old English pad but it will require fitting. I can’t help you much on recoil reducers but dig around the site a bit. I believe that there was thread on this subject with a lot of good info.
Bill
Thanks Bill.

Not a slip on, I mean a screw on replacement. Is there a make and model that is a direct fit with no trimming necessary?
Hi Kevin, I installed a couple of Silver recoil pads so far and found some inspiration on YT:

I did not use any tool but did the grinding free-hand with a belt sander. Rough grinding with 80, finishing with 400 sand paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, i want to fit a red recoil pad to my Ruger No1 Tropical 375, not just for the aesthetics, but to also tame the recoil a bit (I am a whimp). Not a slip on, I mean a screw on replacement. Is there a make and model that is a direct fit with no trimming necessary? Whilst I am about it I may as well also fit a recoil reducer into the stock - what would you recommend? Thanks.
They all require fitting. The "proper" pad to replicate a period piece would be a Silver's. I believe they come in three sizes. An email to these folks probably would sort it out quickly. https://connecticutshotgun.co/s-w-silver-co-3-style-recoil-pad-red/ The best reproduction of the Silver is the Pachmayr "Old English" that @WAB uses. No one can tell the difference. Truth in lending, neither does much to mitigate recoil. Their greatest attribute, other than looking so cool and traditional, is to help seat the rifle solidly against the shoulder or the floor when the rifle is standing in the corner waiting to slide and crack the wrist of the stock. (Been there - done that). :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 5.49.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 5.49.13 PM.png
    771.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 5.49.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 5.49.15 PM.png
    941.7 KB · Views: 208
You’re looking for a ”Silvers Pad”. I bought a couple some years ago and fitted them to shotguns. I bought them in the U.K.
Kynoch ammunition in the U.K. seem to be where they originate. However they list stockists around the world, one of them being in S.Africa.

Last edited:
They all require fitting. The "proper" pad to replicate a period piece would be a Silver's. I believe they come in three sizes. An email to these folks probably would sort it out quickly. https://connecticutshotgun.co/s-w-silver-co-3-style-recoil-pad-red/ The best reproduction of the Silver is the Pachmayr "Old English" that @WAB uses. No one can tell the difference. Truth in lending, neither does much to mitigate recoil. Their greatest attribute, other than looking so cool and traditional, is to help seat the rifle solidly against the shoulder or the floor when the rifle is standing in the corner waiting to slide and crack the wrist of the stock. (Been there - done that). :confused:

@Red Leg as they say, “these times they are a-changing”.

Yes. A Silver’s pad is the “proper” thing to use whether in red or London orange. They are getting hard to come by these days but I think Kynoch/Kynamco is their agent in the UK. DO NOT buy the Galazan perfect copies. They take hours to install just like a real one, but they had defective lots with voids in the resin. I’ve wasted countless hours fitting only to throw the pad away as I ground down to a hollow spot.

Then there is the copy-cat Pachmayr Old English pads. Absolutely, way softer and easier to manage recoil. Unfortunately, they discontinued the orange pads and you can only get them in black and brown now. At least a year ago that’s what I found.

So whats a guy to do? The NECG soft copies of the Silvers are awesome. They have 4-5 thicknesses and 3 sizes. The 1-1/4” one doesn’t look silly like a 1.5” galazan silvers copy, and it really takes out the recoil. They also have a 5/8” and a 1” too. That’s what I put on all my kids guns to have the proper London look without the London felt recoil!

I have and use both. I would use silvers on period pieces, but I find that the pachmayr is a little better at recoil reduction, so I use them on my newer rifles. They both look great.

Oops...the pad on the M77 is a Pachmayr Old English pad. Also Much softer than the Ruger pad. NECG was out of their red pads when i ordered and had that pad in my 'to do' box.

Reactions: WAB
@Red Leg as they say, “these times they are a-changing”.

Yes. A Silver’s pad is the “proper” thing to use whether in red or London orange. They are getting hard to come by these days but I think Kynoch/Kynamco is their agent in the UK. DO NOT buy the Galazan perfect copies. They take hours to install just like a real one, but they had defective lots with voids in the resin. I’ve wasted countless hours fitting only to throw the pad away as I ground down to a hollow spot.

Then there is the copy-cat Pachmayr Old English pads. Absolutely, way softer and easier to manage recoil. Unfortunately, they discontinued the orange pads and you can only get them in black and brown now. At least a year ago that’s what I found.

So whats a guy to do? The NECG soft copies of the Silvers are awesome. They have 4-5 thicknesses and 3 sizes. The 1-1/4” one doesn’t look silly like a 1.5” galazan silvers copy, and it really takes out the recoil. They also have a 5/8” and a 1” too. That’s what I put on all my kids guns to have the proper London look without the London felt recoil!
Interesting. I have used Galazan on at least half a dozen guns and rifles. Each one turned out perfect - not as copies - merely as perfect.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you