Red Duiker with Longbow- 1st for us.......

lammie

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Kipp Newton came out last week to try for Impala,Nyala ect with his Longbow. Little did we know that we would take this 'little' guy on the last day.If opportunity knocks...........truly great hunt with a big reward. My hat's off to Kipp, you made the shot count!

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 144
That is awesome! Quite a accomplishment!

Well done!
That is a great trophy especially with a stick and string.:clapping:

Very fortunate hunter to get one of those little speedsters.
Congratulations.
Lammie do you have any more details on the hunt? Blind, stalking?...

Now THAT is an accomplishment of note! He can be very proud indeed!

Fantastic animal. One of the hardest ones I have found to hunt, very wary. They are in every predators diet.

Luck and skill was with him Congrats on a fine trophy.

We hunted from a hide over water. We saw the little guy and I asked Lammie if I could try if the opportunity was given. Lammie agreed but wanted to make sure he was a male and a mature specimen. Within ten/fifteen minutes he was at water. He started to drink I got into position and he stopped drinking and looked up. He then turned his head away from us looking at something I drew, came to anchor and drilled a hole visually thru my point of impact, released and hit. The shot was good and I think it surprised Lammie a bit because he turned to me and said "you got him" .... I think I was shook up for a few hours after that.

It was a real surprise for me and I feel extremely lucky. I only had 5 days to hunt and Lammie bent over backwards to make my short time a success. Lammie knows what it takes to get it done...

Thank you, Lammie and Allison for the wonderful time and memories. I'll be back!!

PS by the way Lammie put me on a great Impala, Nyala and Blesbok,,,, these were five very productive days!!!

As a stick bow guy myself, what was your setup? Arrow, bow and broad head?

Tom I shoot a 56" Big Jim Thunderchild (Hybrid type longbow) 50@28... I use GT 3555's with a 100 grain brass insert and Abowyer Boneheads with titanium inserts. This gives me about 600 grains of arrow and about 22% FOC... These arrows shoot almost as good bareshaft as they do fletched from my set up. Every animal I shot had an entry and exit hole... so penetration was very satisfactory. I left a couple for Lammie to experiment with his Bob Lee recurve. I have shoulder issues so I am forced to shoot a light draw weight but it was very effective.

Congrats Coaster500 now for Pictures and the rest of the story.

Congrats on a great trophy!! And yes we would love to hear the rest of the story....

Here is the other animals Kip got on his 5 day hunt.He had good shot oppertunities every day and in general the waterholes were very active for this time of the year.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 96

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg