Red Dot/Reflex or Low Power Scope for 416 Rem Mag?

Fastrig

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
Have a new 416 Rem Mag and trying to decide whether to put a red dot/reflex site on it or a low power (1-6) scope with illuminated reticle. Leaning towards the scope, but would appreciate some feedback. First big bore rifle :)

What are you going to use it for and what distance? I look at .416 calibers as rifles capable of taking game out to 300+ yards so I put a 1-10X scope on mine. I have taken African game from 60 yards to 300+ yards for Elk with it.

How old are you? I put a reflex on my .416 and couldn't see as well as I wanted so pulled it off and replaced it with a low power scope.

What are you going to use it for and what distance? I look at .416 calibers as rifles capable of taking game out to 300+ yards so I put a 1-10X scope on mine. I have taken African game from 60 yards to 300+ yards for Elk with it.

Bought it on a whim as it was part of set of four rifles I picked up yesterday. Not really sure what I'll use it for at this point but Africa for a DG hunt is the most likely at some point. A lower power scope was my first inclination as I know the round is capable out to 200-300 yard. Where did you find a 1-10 scope?

How old are you? I put a reflex on my .416 and couldn't see as well as I wanted so pulled it off and replaced it with a low power scope.

Mid-50's (Ugh!!) Can't bring open sight front beads into focus any longer so need some sort of optic to help me aim :) Was reading a thread on red dots and reflex optics, some on various 416's, but seems like a scope would be more flexible as it's a capable round out to 200 plus.

i went with... both! I use a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 with an illuminated reticle. turn this puppy down to 1x and turn the reticle on and youve got a red dot optic. turn it up to 6x and your good out to 300 yards which is further then you will ever shoot with a 416.

the 416 is a very versatile cartridge that will serve you very well on PG and DG. a red dot optic with no magnification would reduce the effectiveness of the rifle. if your unwilling to spend the money for a illuminated 1-6 (which is the best) then buy a non-illuminated 1-6.

-matt

i went with... both! I use a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 with an illuminated reticle. turn this puppy down to 1x and turn the reticle on and youve got a red dot optic. turn it up to 6x and your good out to 300 yards which is further then you will ever shoot with a 416.

the 416 is a very versatile cartridge that will serve you very well on PG and DG. a red dot optic with no magnification would reduce the effectiveness of the rifle. if your unwilling to spend the money for a illuminated 1-6 (which is the best) then buy a non-illuminated 1-6.

-matt

Thanks Matt!!! Ordered the Leopold VX6-HD for it an hour ago along with the mounts :)

You made the right decision. Red Dots are very limiting for anything other than close up work. Also with no magnification, once it's dusk dark, you will see the dot but not what's behind it.

Thanks Matt!!! Ordered the Leopold VX6-HD for it an hour ago along with the mounts :)

good choice!

I have the older version of that scope on my Win M70 416 RM and have taken game in both the USA and Africa in all types of conditions. I even competed in a couple large bore competitions and did very well with this gun.

something fun to try when you get the scope set up: turn the scope to 1x, turn on illumination, then turn the lights out in your house (at night). now look through the scope with both eyes open. these scopes truly shine in very low light situations!

-matt

I have the Leupold VX-6 1-6 and have shot out to nearly 350 yards (blesbok) using my 375 H&H. Worked well. I think you’ll be very happy with it.
Actually I have 3. One doesn’t have the illuminated dot. I like the illumination so much, I am slowly changing everything to illuminated.
Best of luck and update us on how you like it!

I have the Leupold VX-6 1-6 and have shot out to nearly 350 yards (blesbok) using my 375 H&H. Worked well. I think you’ll be very happy with it.
Actually I have 3. One doesn’t have the illuminated dot. I like the illumination so much, I am slowly changing everything to illuminated.
Best of luck and update us on how you like it!
But somehow.....the Bat Eared Fox got away!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I put a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF reticle on my 416RM.
Also went with a rail mount option to ditch the rings.
Mounted on my Blaser R8 in a Contessa mount.
Not cheap, but when I look through the glass, I know what I paid for.

I considered a reflex sight, even ordered a Trijicon RMR.
After looking at it for a while, I decided to go with the scope instead.
Now if I decide I want to take one of the Tiny 10, I'll just switch to a solid.
A lot more options having a scope with QD rings or mount.
Still have iron sights as a back up if necessary.

You can easily make 300 yd shots with a quality lighted reticle 5x+ scope (I'm assuming you'll be lining up on a Kudu, Eland or Giraffe with bodies 2-6x taller than your entire reticle. 'Have the Leupold 1-5x, 1.75-6x and the Trijicon 1-6x and all are well-suited to what you're looking to do (DG with the occasional longer PG shot.) No worry of the battery ever dying in the Accupoint and its FOV/light gathering quality is larger. 'Have plugged quite a few deer at 300 using the L 1-5x on a short-barreled 06 pump gun made for the woods. The lighted circle/dot combo is the best for moving shots... SWFA in TX or EuroOptic in PA.

Have a new 416 Rem Mag and trying to decide whether to put a red dot/reflex site on it or a low power (1-6) scope with illuminated reticle. Leaning towards the scope, but would appreciate some feedback. First big bore rifle :)
I agree with the scope. I’ve used a Leupold VX6 1-6 with red dot on a .416, and a 2-12X on a .375.

A reflex sight shines (pardon the pun :ROFLMAO:) in quick snapshot situations ie good for a PH or if you are charged. It is good for action but maybe less suited to first shot exacting acuracy.

Scope shines in first shot accuracy or off the sticks, taking a careful first shot ie hunter situation where you want your first shot to count. And then if you have a true 1x scope, it works in a charge or snapshot situation but not really as good as a reflex.

Both will work for a hunter on safari but a scope will give you a little more range for less maneuverability.

You can easily make 300 yd shots with a quality lighted reticle 5x+ scope (I'm assuming you'll be lining up on a Kudu, Eland or Giraffe with bodies 2-6x taller than your entire reticle. 'Have the Leupold 1-5x, 1.75-6x and the Trijicon 1-6x and all are well-suited to what you're looking to do (DG with the occasional longer PG shot.) No worry of the battery ever dying in the Accupoint and its FOV/light gathering quality is larger. 'Have plugged quite a few deer at 300 using the L 1-5x on a short-barreled 06 pump gun made for the woods. The lighted circle/dot combo is the best for moving shots... SWFA in TX or EuroOptic in PA.
Which scope do you prefer between the AccuPoint and the Leupold 1-5? For a DG rifle.

You made the right decision. Red Dots are very limiting for anything other than close up work. Also with no magnification, once it's dusk dark, you will see the dot but not what's behind it.
I have Micro h2 on the top of my 9.3. My first intention was to use it as a boar brush gun,as I was sick of crawling around with 26" 300wm. I zeroed aimpoint 1" high at 50 meters just in case if I have to take a longer shot when hunting one partucular area. It shoots POA at 140 (I would say). 2 months ago took it on roe buck stalk,shot buck at 152 meters,bullet hit where I was holding the dot,i did had a slightly angled shot. But no way I could tell if its doe or buck without magnification. Father had to double check it with binocular to be 100% sure its a buck. Buck was moving away and all i could see was his white patch,and piece of back. I had no much time left,no place to rest the rifle on so I stood up,cranked down the dot from 11 to level 6 and send the shot. Buck went down. I would never do it again,but Id say red dot works up to 100 better than scope. And FOR ME it works much better on moving game in thick cover,than any scope. I would take scope past 150 m any day.

Here is the buck and place I took the shot from.

Bullet entrance wound at the tail,exit all the way on the chests.
20200915_171429.jpg

Shot taken from the same place as this photo. Buck was on the far edge of the forest clearance you can see in front.
20200531_061248.jpg

Which scope do you prefer between the AccuPoint and the Leupold 1-5? For a DG rifle.
Either is fine but I prefer the accupoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber