Red dot for 375H&H

Janus Du toit

Reaction score
I’m looking at a reddot for my 375 will the sig sauer romeo work for such a big caliber

Janus, at BASA (big bore association) there are numerous people that shoot red dots on their rifles. Just this weekend someone with a 505 gibbs. They do work, haven’t seen the sig sauer, but it should work just as well as the others (trijicon, doctor, holosun, leupold etc.)

A Docter Sight II serves me well since 2014 on a R93 in 458Lott. Over 300 rounds , still accurate. Next August elephant hunt again. Why should I change?

There are lots of reviews of the various "romeo" sights available online... I think the general consensus is they are fairly rugged and can take a substantial amount of abuse...

Which romeo youre talking about might make a difference though.. there is a huge difference between the romeo 5 and the romeo 8 line for example..

Some romeos are focused absolute max battery life.. some are focused on being as compact and lightweight as possible.. some are more "tactical" than "practical" (Like the Romeo MSR) and probably wouldnt make a lot of sense for a hunting rifle...

I think all of them could likely hold up to the recoil and general hunting conditions most people subject a 375 H&H to.. but whether or not a Romeo is a good solution for your particular rifle I think probably depends on which Romeo youre looking at, and what specifically you want to do with it..

Ive got a Romeo 5XDR on my primary "home defense" rifle for examples.. its features make it a really good option for that application I believe ("shake-awake" technology.. long battery life.. compact and light weight.. very durable.. and reasonably affordable)... but I wouldnt consider putting it on my .375 H&H.. The reticle is excellent for picking up a target super fast and getting rounds on target quickly... but.. its not a great choice if Im trying to put a bullet in a super precise point at a range of 50-100 yards...

The Romeo 3XL with the 3MOA dot on the other hand might make an excellent option for a .375 H&H depending on your intended use (I wouldnt consider the 6MOA variant for any hunting application I can conceive of)..

If you want to run a reflex sight please do yourself a favor and pay a little more to get an RMR. They are very rugged, why spend thousands on the trip and risk saving a few hundred on a quality sight.

There are lots of reviews of the various "romeo" sights available online... I think the general consensus is they are fairly rugged and can take a substantial amount of abuse...

Which romeo youre talking about might make a difference though.. there is a huge difference between the romeo 5 and the romeo 8 line for example..

Some romeos are focused absolute max battery life.. some are focused on being as compact and lightweight as possible.. some are more "tactical" than "practical" (Like the Romeo MSR) and probably wouldnt make a lot of sense for a hunting rifle...

I think all of them could likely hold up to the recoil and general hunting conditions most people subject a 375 H&H to.. but whether or not a Romeo is a good solution for your particular rifle I think probably depends on which Romeo youre looking at, and what specifically you want to do with it..

Ive got a Romeo 5XDR on my primary "home defense" rifle for examples.. its features make it a really good option for that application I believe ("shake-awake" technology.. long battery life.. compact and light weight.. very durable.. and reasonably affordable)... but I wouldnt consider putting it on my .375 H&H.. The reticle is excellent for picking up a target super fast and getting rounds on target quickly... but.. its not a great choice if Im trying to put a bullet in a super precise point at a range of 50-100 yards...

The Romeo 3XL with the 3MOA dot on the other hand might make an excellent option for a .375 H&H depending on your intended use (I wouldnt consider the 6MOA variant for any hunting application I can conceive of)..
I was thinking of the msr it is for close range back up

I mounted a Trijicon SRO with a 1 MOA dot on my Heym 88b. by reducing the magnification I am able to shoot respectable groups at 100 yds. I also shot a giraffe at 116 yds.

As for reliability, dot sights are commonly mounted on the slides of semi automatic pistols. While a .45 ACP may not generate near the recoil of a .470 Nitro, the slide of a 1911 gives RMR and larger dot sights a pretty violent ride. Often for hundreds of shots in a day, every weekend...

I have a couple SIG Romeo's but for competition and hunting Africa, I shoot Trijicon's.

Janus, go trijicon but also why would you want to limit your 375 for close range only, is it for guiding or close range work only?

I mounted a Trijicon SRO with a 1 MOA dot on my Heym 88b. by reducing the magnification I am able to shoot respectable groups at 100 yds. I also shot a giraffe at 116 yds.

As for reliability, dot sights are commonly mounted on the slides of semi automatic pistols. While a .45 ACP may not generate near the recoil of a .470 Nitro, the slide of a 1911 gives RMR and larger dot sights a pretty violent ride. Often for hundreds of shots in a day, every weekend...

I have a couple SIG Romeo's but for competition and hunting Africa, I shoot Trijicon's.
Im working on a budget and basspro has a deal on either the msr or the romeo

1652782834124.png

The photo in the above post is to show a RMR sight being taken for a ride on a semi auto slide.

Eurooptic has Trijicon SRO with 1 MOA dot on sale for $499. These are on backorder now.
If I wanted one, I would call Eurooptic and ask when they expect to receive the SRO. Eurooptic has a good reputation.

Long ago some product had a tag line, "I didn't come this far to miss."

By the time one travels to Africa they incur airline and other travel costs, PH outfitter costs, trophy fees, and often post hunt taxidermy costs. I strongly advise to buy and practice with the best optics available, be it dot or scope or both on quick release mounts... Call it insurance.

Last edited:
Mark I love my SRO on my Lott works like a beast also 1 MOA.

Proof is in the pudding all 3 shots connected Hans from de Klerk safaris and Frikkie my main PH on the hunt was impressed with my shooting.

Yes, its takes practise but sight picture on a moving target with the SRO was just so easy.

Aimpoint or RMR are what I use. Both have been without fault for many shots and several years.

You are getting good advice on some quality options. However, it is fairly unusual to use such a sight on a .375 simply because the caliber is so versatile as a general purpose option. You said it was for backup. Have you considered 1 or 1.5 x 6 or so scope with an illuminated reticle? At 1 or 1.5, it essentially acts just like a red dot, and you won't have to worry about mounting it while your PH is urging you to follow him quickly in pursuit of your buffalo. Leupold and Trijicon make affordable options that work great on a .375.

I would rather go with a 1-6 Lynx DG scope with 30mm tube and a German nr 4 reticle with the illuminated dot....just as fast and a lot more versatile....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross