Record for most species taken

I'm getting in a bit late, as usual. I think its closer to 1.5 mil to get to that number. The cheap stuff gets done pretty quick. If you do all 29 north American species you have already spent in the neighborhood of 250K (sheep are expensive) then do the big 5 close to 200K. Marco polo 50K. that's already 500K and you have only taken 35 so far.

Even focusing on non DG animals, the sheep of the world and the small really exotic species you need to get to 250 are crazy expensive. I have one client who was determined to win the weatherby in 5 years he took 185 species on one long never ending hunt. He was well over the million mark when he quit, without winning the award.

I've been to Irvin Barnharts trophy room. He has to be in the top 10 at least. Amazing place.
I think Irvin was in the 375+ when he passed away. He was also actively hunting since the mid 70's. His hunting budget was 250K per year while I knew him.

We refer to these guys as collectors, like cars, guns, ex-wives.They collect species and its their passion.

l refer to guys like that as rich...........

There are cheaper ways to get some of this done... Let's use the big 5 as an example as this is the Africa Hunting site after all!

Without taxidermy it would be a whole lot less. But most everyone including me wants the taxidermy.

If I were to count in a deal like James offered on rhino, and figured flights in but not observers and not side trips, and deducted the PG trophy fees, and only counted one buffalo.. Adding in the DG portion of tips, not counting gear, guns, ammo, range time, etc. I think I would be at about $60,000 for buff, elephant, and lion. That was a Zimbabwe 53# non importable (at the present) bull elephant and free range buff on the same hunt. Male wild RSA Kruger area lion (Kalahari could be half price). Add in James' rhino deal (no James I am not booking that at this time, just using it as an example) and round up for travel and tips, add in a leopard and with travel and tips I think I can have the big 5 for $125,000.... All males and respectable trophies. No taxidermy and without observer.

Now if you did a tuskless elephant, lioness, dart rhino, and included the buffalo on the same day fees as something else, and then added a leopard deal.. You could come in for a lot less... And if you saved up the money and had the time to do this all in 2 or 3 trips rather than 5, and did a successful leopard hunt on one of the better deals offered... I think it could be done for half of that money. To me the leopard is the most challenging to get a deal yet be successful. I might leave that for last and dedicate that full hunt to only that animal. That is the cost of two, more or less average, cars or one real nice pickup truck! So all it really takes financially is to stretch out the life of your vehicles (if your not already doing that. ;) Should be do-able for many middle class working people if they decide to focus on that as a goal and prioritize it.

James to your other point.... It may also prove to be very helpful if you have 0 ex wives!

James to your other point.... It may also prove to be very helpful if you have 0 ex wives!

I think 0 wives is as important as 0 ex wives!

I would agree on the 0 wives, but my wife disagrees with that.

You could get to say 100 species and keep it less expensive, but once you start going places like the Congo or Ethiopia, Cameroon etc. those places don't have bargains, a mountain nyala is going to run you $30,000+ no matter which way you cut it.
You could do culls and females if you wanted, but that is still a small fraction of getting up there in the count.

Ive hunted a lot more than most and have been very fortunate,but I don't think I'm at more than 50. I like to hunt what makes me happy. spending a fortune for an animal 3 other people may recognize, doesn't really set me on fire.
I'm happy hunting dove, shooting jackrabbits, kudu, impala, baboons and drinking cold beer by the fire.

I'm getting in a bit late, as usual. I think its closer to 1.5 mil to get to that number. The cheap stuff gets done pretty quick. If you do all 29 north American species you have already spent in the neighborhood of 250K (sheep are expensive) then do the big 5 close to 200K. Marco polo 50K. that's already 500K and you have only taken 35 so far.

Even focusing on non DG animals, the sheep of the world and the small really exotic species you need to get to 250 are crazy expensive. I have one client who was determined to win the weatherby in 5 years he took 185 species on one long never ending hunt. He was well over the million mark when he quit, without winning the award.

Thanks for jumping in and adding your expertise.(y)

Much appreciated.

Probably wouldn't hurt your business if you had a dozen clients going for 250+ species.:D

Are small game species factored in? One could probably bag like 50 small game species for next to nothing. In America their is 32 hunt-able duck species.

Wheels, it sounds good but those guys chasing the inner circles and secret diamond awards are pretty high maintenance. but i would take a couple, my stress level is just not high enough these days. Gimme a call next week.

The species list everybody goes by is the SCI record book and most small game and birds don't count. Maybe we could get that going, I would love to have someone call me looking for a jackrabbit slam or squirrels of the world. I could get behind something like that.

Squirrels of the World! Now your talking... might even be able to get my kid into that.

Wheels, it sounds good but those guys chasing the inner circles and secret diamond awards are pretty high maintenance. but i would take a couple, my stress level is just not high enough these days. Gimme a call next week.

The species list everybody goes by is the SCI record book and most small game and birds don't count. Maybe we could get that going, I would love to have someone call me looking for a jackrabbit slam or squirrels of the world. I could get behind something like that.

LOL. Thanks - I laughed out loud. I am a life member of SCI and am proud of the work we do - particularly in Washington. But the journal has come to fully embrace that relatively small fraction of our membership chasing all those "love me" awards and trying to demonstrate all that exquisite snooty taste. And I don't even go to the show - where that attitude has become rampant - the DSC annual show is infinitely more user friendly for the membership, and our leadership (also a life member in DSC) is much more representative of folks with whom I want to share a camp. I can't imagine having the job of getting them there and back and keeping them happy.

Red Leg,

I'm glad I brightened your day. It can be trying sometimes, like when you get a 5 am call from a sat phone complaining about the amount of drink ice available in their bush camp or the land cruiser does not have a good AC. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It keeps my days interesting.

Wheels, Gimme a call next week.

Will do.

If you had a number of the inner circle type hunters, you could hire a Hunting Concierge for those 5 am calls. :D In fact, I may just call you at 5 am for the fun of it.:ROFLMAO: I think I want a chipmunk slam!

Will do.

If you had a number of the inner circle type hunters, you could hire a Hunting Concierge for those 5 am calls. :D In fact, I may just call you at 5 am for the fun of it.:ROFLMAO: I think I want a chipmunk slam![/QUOTE]

Just make sure the hunt isn't in a fenced area.... :A Secret:

Chipmunk slam, you could take 3 and have them mounted like Alvin and the chipmunks!

Hunting concierge, I like that.

upload_2015-7-11_12-21-52.jpeg

I'm really liking the idea. Do you think Dennis can put an MP3 player in them so they can sing the Christmas Song? Wow, you are a great salesman, you just sold me on the "Secret Diamond Chipmunk Slam Award" Where do I sign? No wonder you are the Hunting Agent.Com;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!