Recommended US Taxidermist in Pac Northwest?

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'll be doing my first African hunt this year on a package including a Sable, Kudu, and a warthog. I've contacted some Africa based taxidermists to get ballpark quotes of taxidermy (shoulder mounts for all) & shipping. I was very much surprised to see the freight costs were about as much as the taxidermy. So, I'd like to get info from US based operation for just doing dip & pack in Africa and shipping to taxidermist here to do mounts in US, preferably in Pacific NW to reduce transport costs for finished mounts. Any recommendations for who I should contact?

Mitch Cain at Wild West Taxidermy is incredibly good. He is located about 20 miles outside of Klamath Falls, Oregon.

Three young guys are making a pretty good name for themselves in Klamath Falls at Link River Taxidermy. They've done a limited amount of African including 2 pieces for me. Most of their work has been the local deer, elk, and pronghorn. Though they are a bit inexperienced in the African species, the two pieces they've done for me have turned out quite nice.
Attached is a steenbok that required heavy repair to one ear.
Screenshot_2021-01-28-08-12-48(1).png
Screenshot_2021-01-28-08-12-44.png

IMG-20210917-WA0009.jpeg

The oribi was also done by Link River Taxidermy

Can't help with a taxidermist but on the importation of the dip and pack, your warthog will need to go to a USDA certified location. It doesn't matter if it is just dip and pack or a finished mount. It used to be that a finished mount didn't need to but the regulations have changed.

You should also be looking for a importer to handle getting your trophies into the country, you can do it yourself but a good importer is worth their weight in gold to take care of the paper work that you might not have any idea of doing.

Trophy Shippers is a member and sponsor on the site here. I'm going back this summer also but I will be using the importer that I had for my first safari.

I've reached out to @TROPHY SHIPPERS. The company organizing the hunt has also provided a few recommendations for taxidermy, though none are in Pac NW.

Last edited by a moderator:
When did they change the USDA requirements for finished swine taxidermy going to one of their facilities? I had a euro mount bushpig skull delivered back in June of 2021 and it went straight to from the airport to my importer to me. A baboon was also in the shipment.

There was talk on here last year about it changing. Then when I talked to Wyatt at SSI and Tom at Trophy Shippers both confirmed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg