Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Hoping for some advice. Looking to go to SA. My list is:

Kudu
Gemsbok
Impala
Zebra

I was hoping y'all might be able advise on guides/outfitters, how long should I plan to go for, best locations, etc.

I'd like to stay within a few hours of JNB, for logistics. Coming from Texas.

Thank you!

BWH

Welcome to AH BWH!!!

All four of those on your list are available through 99.9% of outfitters.

If you are looking for good representatives of the species you'll be able to get those animals inside a 7 day hunt. If you would like to relax and look over a lot of critters before you take your animals go for 10 days. You will add species, plan for it.

Well a couple of hours from JHB leaves you in four provinces: Limpopo, North West, Mpumalanga or Free State.
Everything lands in Joburg, it is the main air hub.

Malaria is present in some areas, if that is an issue. Look at the maps talk to the doc.

There are good outfitters here on AH that operate in the areas you are interested in.
Look the sponsors up.
Look at the hunt reports and you will get some ideas.

Good luck.

Thank you! Does a "7 Day Hunt" mean 5 days of hunting + 2 days arrival departure? That is perfectly okay.... I just want to make sure I am understanding the itenirary.

Thanks again!
Brad

Thank you! Does a "7 Day Hunt" mean 5 days of hunting + 2 days arrival departure? That is perfectly okay.... I just want to make sure I am understanding the itenirary.

Thanks again!
Brad

Brad, I am talking about hunting days, not arrival and departure.
Look at some offers and see what you can find.
hunting deals above.

Thanks again!
Brad

Watch the offer carefully. Some outfits include departure and arrival (non-hunting) days in the count although most do not.

Definitely plan on a few extra species, after the cost of a flight, day rates etc a couple extra trophy fees dont add up to a significant percentage of your expense. It is far cheaper to shoot them while you are there than it is to go back and you really dont need to worry about running out of species for future trips since South Africa alone has 44 huntable species. the more flexible you are on species the more successful you will be, commit the entire trophy fee list to memory so that when a monster whatever steps out you know whether or not to pull the trigger without having to wast precious time making a decision.

Brick is right about provinces close to Johannesburg. There are plenty of outfitters with hunt reports in that section of the forum and I would recommend one of them. I have hunted 2x with Chris Troskie of CT-safaris and reccomend him highly, he has several good reports on here as well.

Good luck

You might take a look in the "Greta Deals on Hunts" found under the forums tab. Thee are several really good deals available right now. Take at least 7 hunting days. After the flight expense it just doesn't make sense not to. If you can do it 10 is really nice. Best of luck. Bruce

Agreed after travelling all the way 10 days will be much better. It takes anybody a day or two to get over the flight ! Your question is a good one ! 10 days Could be 8/9/10/11 or 12 days depending on the conditions of the outfit. I suggest 10 full hunting days. Ours are 12 days with no charge for arrival or departure. Some c.harge half the rate for arrival or departure. Confirm all these details with the outfitter beforehand. Good luck and you will be back for more 7/10 day hunts in future !

I would also opt for 10 days, it provides you as a hunter with time, especially when you take all the traveling into consideration for one, it also gives you the opportunity to really get a feel for the land you are hunting and inherintly delivers good trophy quality.

My best always.

I would set aside 7 to 10 hunting days.

There are a lot of outfitters out there. If you are looking for a Greater Southern Kudu, hunt where they are living. Look over the photo gallery to see if you are happy with their quality of animals. There is a lot of great hunting in RSA.

Dear BWH,
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest an outfitter in the Limpopo region for the wish list of game you present... No other region has the variety and quality of animals. The biggest Kudu in SA live in the Limpopo..

Welcome to the forum, BWH !

Check out Cruisers safaris in Limppopo, I am heading over next year for my 3rd safari with them, some of the best hunting I have seen, plus the have great rates as well.

Do y'all suggest I stay the night I land in JNB at a local hotel or head straight to Ranch with outfitter? Flight would land at 5:35pm Delta flight 200. No outfitter or date has been set.... Just trying to figure out logistics. I know I'd be excited to get there & get going, but I'm sure the flight is taxing. Many thanks for your help!

Do y'all suggest I stay the night I land in JNB at a local hotel or head straight to Ranch with outfitter? Flight would land at 5:35pm Delta flight 200. No outfitter or date has been set.... Just trying to figure out logistics. I know I'd be excited to get there & get going, but I'm sure the flight is taxing. Many thanks for your help!

The flight is the worst part of the trip....
The plane has been arriving at that hour for a long time.
Everyone is different. Each outfitter will deal with it differently.
One that is 2 hours away vs 4.5 hours out.

You are going to be tired anyway so, tired riding in a bakkie or in a hotel??

Yeah my thoughts exactly.... I don't know that I'd get much sleep at a hotel, waiting to get there, anyways. However, I think most of the outfitters I am communicating with are 200km/125miles or less. Thank you for your advise!

We pick up 90% of our hunters at the Airport that day. They get to sleep in a little the next morning. If you will be picked up the next day it should be early as this would constitute your first hunting day. There are many good guest houses in the area if you do decide to stay over. African Sky guest house as well as Afton guest house. They both cater for hunters ! Enjoy the planning and anticipation !

I would bet that no matter what time you go to be you will be up at 0300, takes me about three days to break that cycle. The Delta flight is by far the best choice. I am in Natal but the suggestion on Kudu in Limpopo is accurate.

Onto another subject. I am very impressed with the outfitters here. At most sites they would be jumping all over you to sell their program. Looks like a lot of true gentlemen so you may want to look at the regular posters for good choices.

Yes I have been very impressed with this forum. The outfitters have been very professional & courteous. The Hunters have been a wealth of knowledge in just a few short days. Far exceeded my expectations. Thanks to all!

Welcome to the forum BWH! What part of Texas?

Thank you. North Texas...... about an hour North of Dallas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg