Recommendations On Rifle For My Wife

Considering the 338 federal for a light-weight, hunting AR-10 build I’ve been considering. For that platform it’s an interesting option over the 308 to get a harder hitting round and probably what I’m going to go with. For a bolt action that is going to get traveled with I think I’d have to lean towards a chambering for ammo that’s readily available internationally. 308 win, 300 wm, 30-06, 9.3x62, 7x64, and 375 H&H all would be better choices over the 338 fed for that targeted use, at least IMO.

I have a 338 Federal (Sako 85 Hunter) and I completely agree. Fun gun, fun cartridge, not my first choice for a traveling bolt gun.

Considering the 338 federal for a light-weight, hunting AR-10 build I’ve been considering. For that platform it’s an interesting option over the 308 to get a harder hitting round and probably what I’m going to go with. For a bolt action that is going to get traveled with I think I’d have to lean towards a chambering for ammo that’s readily available internationally. 308 win, 300 wm, 30-06, 9.3x62, 7x64, and 375 H&H all would be better choices over the 338 fed for that targeted use, at least IMO.

Yeah there are calibers with better ammo availability around the world for sure.
That said, I built a custom 338 Fed on a Winchester model 70 push feed bolt action specifically for light weight hunting and traveling. I used it in SA for plains game (kudu in my avatar), Its been all over Alaska including a brown bear and black tail deer in Kodiak. It's short (20" barrel) and light enough (7.25 lbs loaded 4 +1) that it packs in an airplane or boat easily, it has a kevlar stock and stainless barrel with cerakote finish to protect from the weather. I hand load 210g Nosler Partitions and it has the energy I am confident with to get the job done under 300 yards. If it gets damaged by luggage handlers, or lost in the bureaucratic air travel circus, it's not the end of the world because at the end of the day it can be replaced.
Anyway, yes there are lots of good calibers out there, and it will all depend on your specific preferences and priorities. For me traveling to hunt is about having a good time and making experiences and memories. The rifle that I use is just a part of the overall story. If the air line ever losses my ammo and I end up using my outfitters or hunting buddy's rifle, then I guess that will be part of my story.

Last edited:
For Mrs . Fastrig , l would highly recommend a Winchester Model 70 or a Savage Model 110 , burning either a .243 Winchester cartridge or a .270 Winchester cartridge . I think the lady will be very happy with either .

I’ve not used the 9.3x64 but read good things. If she can’t handle it and you are Building something for here then it may be the last rifle she will need.
I’ve owned the .300wm but if big game is on the menu the 9.3 might be an advantage.
It’s not so difficult to backpedal later and find a factory .243 compact or something if she wants something for a bit more regular use.

My wife has become interested in shooting, and "maybe" hunting. Thought I might buy her a nice rifle/scope combo for Christmas. I'm hoping she'll join me in hunting in Africa and other locals at some point. Debating what caliber would be best. My first thought was a 30-06 or 308 win, but have been reading some articles written by ladies that say they really like the 7mm-08. Thoughts?

I see some companies have started making "rifles designed for women". Savage and Merkel are the ones I've reviewed so far. Is this marketing hype or is there something really to these designs? My wife is fairly tall, 5'9", and medium framed but when I had her shouldering some of my bolt rifles last night the LOP (14.25 to 14.75) was definitely too long for her. Was going to take her out this weekend and have her shoot my 308 win, 300 win mag, and 9.3x62 to see how she likes various hunting calibers and the associated recoil but afraid the LOP on my rifles is going to hinder that a bit. She's shot my lever actions which have much shorter LOP's but this would be a first with my bolt rifles. The LOP on my rifles is a good 1" too long, do you all think that's too far off for her to have a good feel for the calibers?

Lastly, especially to any ladies on the boards, what would you recommend I look at in makes/calibers? Thanks mucho for the input!!!
Fastrig
Weatherby also make a beautiful women's model.

I happen to know a Lady that really loves her youth model Tikka .308. I have witnessed how effective it is on plains game, not to mention deer, javelins, bobcats,etc. In the US.
My wife also loves her Tika in /06...Got it in wood stock so I could shorten pull for her with a Skill saw or miter saw..Very easy to do if you're half way handy...She loves her brake 'cause it kills the recoil..We use ear plugs and don't care what others like and the guides in Africa never said a word.

Cody
You mention a 7 millimeter 08 cartridge . May l ask how it compares to the 7 millimeter Remington magnum cartridge of my time ?
Friend Kawshick
The 7mm 08 falls a long way short of the 7mm Remington magnum.
It is comparable to the 7x57 Mauser.
Cheers my friend
Bob Nelson

The 7-08 is a loud cartridge? Compared to a .308? Huh?

Not sure how you calculate cartridge (as opposed to platform) induced decibel contributing factors, but the .308 does have 56 gr capacity to 52 for the 7-08. And the .308 operates at about 2000 psi higher pressure.
Red Leg
Probably comparing an 18 to 20 barrel 7mm 08 to a 26 inch 08.

She was in the U.S. Army for six years, shoots clays with a 20 gauge, and shot my lever actions when we’ve been camping...no problems. She just never shot any of the bolt actions, hunted, etc. She handled my 308 win this past weekend with no problem whatsoever. She could probably handle a 7mm mag or 300 win mag, but haven’t gone there.
Fastrig
You just answered your own question.
If she has used the 308 with no issues then the 308 it is. My 15year old son used a Howa 308 loaded with 150gn accubonds and his Namibia hunt and shot everything with it including Hartman zebra and Oryx no problems.
Take her to a good gun shop and let her try rifles until she finds one SHE likes. You won't go wrong with the adjustable stock savage or a left hand weatherby if they make one.
Just make sure SHE IS HAPPY with her choice.
Cheers
Bob

Well this has turned into a complete pain in the ass. Nobody, and I mean Nobody, in our area has a lefty rifle in stock in the brand/models we’ve been looking at. Our local shop checked his distributors‘ inventories, and Nada. Everything is on back order. Good news is our local shop has “orders in” for a few rifles with the distributors and said when they get one in they’ll call to see if we are still interested, but no telling when that will be. 308 CA Ridgeline and 7x64 Sako Hunter are the top finalists right now. She really liked the RH Sako we looked at and think that 7x64 would be a great “all arounder” caliber for her.

Someone is going to ask why not a 280 Rem....simple, harder to find and too limited a selection of ammo....

The information you need is all here, the only thing I would advise is think about ammunition availability and cost. If she is new to the rifle and caliber then hopefully there are many days of enjoyable range time ahead. Unless your going to reload, you might want to consider a standard caliber like 308 to shoot. Ball ammo is inexpensive for some one to learn on.
Just my 2 cents
Pat

Well the wife’s rifle is on the way...a left handed Christensen Arms Ridgeline, 308 win, 24” barrel, Green with Black and Tan webbing stock, and bronze finished action and muzzle break. The 13.5” LOP is perfect for her, the rifle is LIGHT so she can carry it without getting fatigued, and ammo choices galore. Tried to find a nice 7x64 for her but kept striking out on lefty versions. Anniversary is a week and half away and the rifle should be here right about then. Thanks everyone for all the advice and input!!

Congrats Fastrig! Bexar county has announced lockdown in effect 23:59 hours Tue 3/24 (today now). Not sure how this affects shops that sell firearms & ammo.

Yeah, having a 7X64 Brenneke rifle has meant continued ammo inventory availability from many vendors currently! I fully understand why it was the first runner up!

Congrats Fastrig! Bexar county has announced lockdown in effect 23:59 hours Tue 3/24 (today now). Not sure how this affects shops that sell firearms & ammo.

Yeah, having a 7X64 Brenneke rifle has meant continued ammo inventory availability from many vendors currently! I fully understand why it was the first runner up!

Thankfully we live in Comol County and they haven't gone full retard up there yet :) Our office is in Bexar County so having to deal with that headache and try to keep our doors open. Our gun shop is in Comol as well :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross