Recommendations On Rifle For My Wife

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Fastrig, Nov 15, 2019.

1. ufg8r93

ufg8r93 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    USA: GA, FL, SD, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, UK, Saskatchewan
    I have a 338 Federal (Sako 85 Hunter) and I completely agree. Fun gun, fun cartridge, not my first choice for a traveling bolt gun.

Fastrig likes this.

2. Mekaniks

Mekaniks GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
    Yeah there are calibers with better ammo availability around the world for sure.
    That said, I built a custom 338 Fed on a Winchester model 70 push feed bolt action specifically for light weight hunting and traveling. I used it in SA for plains game (kudu in my avatar), Its been all over Alaska including a brown bear and black tail deer in Kodiak. It's short (20" barrel) and light enough (7.25 lbs loaded 4 +1) that it packs in an airplane or boat easily, it has a kevlar stock and stainless barrel with cerakote finish to protect from the weather. I hand load 210g Nosler Partitions and it has the energy I am confident with to get the job done under 300 yards. If it gets damaged by luggage handlers, or lost in the bureaucratic air travel circus, it's not the end of the world because at the end of the day it can be replaced.
    Anyway, yes there are lots of good calibers out there, and it will all depend on your specific preferences and priorities. For me traveling to hunt is about having a good time and making experiences and memories. The rifle that I use is just a part of the overall story. If the air line ever losses my ammo and I end up using my outfitters or hunting buddy's rifle, then I guess that will be part of my story.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    greyfox and Fastrig like this.

3. Major Khan

Major Khan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    For Mrs . Fastrig , l would highly recommend a Winchester Model 70 or a Savage Model 110 , burning either a .243 Winchester cartridge or a .270 Winchester cartridge . I think the lady will be very happy with either .

Fastrig likes this.

4. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    I’ve not used the 9.3x64 but read good things. If she can’t handle it and you are Building something for here then it may be the last rifle she will need.
    I’ve owned the .300wm but if big game is on the menu the 9.3 might be an advantage.
    It’s not so difficult to backpedal later and find a factory .243 compact or something if she wants something for a bit more regular use.

Fastrig, WAB and Major Khan like this.