Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
My daughter is not going to be able to accompany me to South Africa in June. I told her I'd set aside money to do so in 2024. She asked if we could hunt New Zealand instead.

So... Starting with a base of almost zilch, any recommendations for outfitters? Advice? Short list for me would be red stag, boar, fallow deer, maybe tahr. I think she's still mulling it over but red stag for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Kiwi Safaris now called Rangitata hunting.com. Controls two awesome properties. Dry Creek Station a 30k free range sheep and cattle ranch where foot hunts with the use of vehicles are used instead of helicopters. I killed a Tahr their in 2015. Saw several Tahr and picked out the best one after a 30minute hike up the mountain. Tahr spotted from dirt road. At Rangitata lodge they have a 10k high fence operation. I shot a 371” elk their that had somehow gotten in with the red stag population and they let me shoot it because they didn’t want it breeding the red stag cows. Best deal ever. Here I shot a 350” stag and a Arapawa ram-Merino sheep-. High fence hunting is an old person hunt. Pay for how big you can afford. If I were doing it I would go to Dry Creek and hunt the free range ones. That’s a hunt!. Anyways it a first class operation! Dry Creek Station is a legendary hunting property in New Zealand. It needs no explanation!!!!

If you want to hunt free range with some top people, check out Mike & Maddie at Real Kiwi Hunting. They have top-shelf free range private land as well as public areas, and a great new lodge. Mike is the fittest guy I've ever hunted with and just lives for it!

TT, sorry to hear your daughter is not going to make it to Africa. However, I’m very happy for both of you with your NZ future adventure. My wife wants to go there as well. I’ll be following this post with high interest. :giggle:

My daughter is not going to be able to accompany me to South Africa in June. I told her I'd set aside money to do so in 2024. She asked if we could hunt New Zealand instead.

So... Starting with a base of almost zilch, any recommendations for outfitters? Advice? Short list for me would be red stag, boar, fallow deer, maybe tahr. I think she's still mulling it over but red stag for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Tundra Tiger

I'm not sure what kind of experience you are looking for in terms of accommodations and amenities?

I have attached the link to a guy I hunted with back in 2018 named Peter Chamberlain who owns Kiwi Wilderness Safaris based on the South Island not too far from Christchurch. I chose Peter for his experience in accommodating bowhunters and for his "no-frills" type of accommodation. He offers both wild and estate ranch options for every species that inhabits NZ. The accommodations are modest, and you can expect a lot of DIY in the overall experience. I did some of the cooking and a lot of the trophy prep myself..

Peter conducts most of the estate hunts himself and his son usually does the backcountry hunts for chamois and tahr. His prices are excellent but also reflective of the "no-frills" aspect. If you want luxury lodge accommodations, and to keep your hands clean, Peter is probably not your guy. However, if you want an outfitter with exceptional experience who can put you on the animals, he is certainly worth contacting. Good Luck! Feel free to PM with any questions. NZ is an amazing destination!

I also hunted with Peter Chamberlin. My hunt report is here:
I highly recommend him. Great guy to hunt with. Good areas and can do free range or estate. When I went he was significantly less $$ than the others I checked on. I expect that to still be the case. I found the food and lodging to be adequate. I have Peter's mobile to be +64 27 616 7978. He is a good one to at least check with.
Bruce

If I were going back, I would book with Chris and Peggy Bilkey, Track and Trail Safaris. I hunted with another outfitter in NZ in 2015 and killed my tahr on their property - free range, foot hunt with no helicopter. Spent several days with the Bilkeys in Australia last year - enjoyed their company and time spent with them.
2024 dates could be challenging with anybody.

Make sure to add wallaby to the list.

+1 on Peter Chamberlin. I have a red stag hunt report on here about my hunt with him. No frills and good value for the money.

@Tundra Tiger you can probably fly out of Alaska to Hawaii and then to NZ and make a pretty nice trip out of it.

To those who have responded, thank you. I plan to get serious about looking when I get back from Africa.

Thanks in advance.
Check out

I had set up a group trip of 10 hunters with Southern Peaks Safaris which I set up pre Covid. New Zealand went in lockdown during Covid and the trip was pushed out 2 years and rescheduled for this year. I was not able to go with the group unfortunately because I was able to secure a leopard tag and hunt in Namibia which I have planned for this year. My group of friends that did go said it was an excellent experience and hunt. All were successful with Stags, Tahr, Chamois and other animals. They were both archery and rifle hunters in the group. Sam Radovonich is the owner operator.

Rangitata hunting.com

Rangitatahunting.com
I was at their new lodge back in August and at their booth at DSC in January. I am probably going back with them in the next few years. It is truly spectacular! Steve, the manager is a great guy to talk with about their property.

I think it all depends on what you want? Big difference between truly free range stags and behind wire ones. If free-range then Chris McCarthy at Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris would have to be top of the list.
I've not hunted with Chris Bilkey but I met up with him clay shooting a lot and hes a lovely guy with a great reputation.
If i was coming down here then I'd also look at some of the lesser known free range species to chase.
I've had great free range hunts with Gordy Watson for Whitetail in the most beautiful part of NZ i've been to (near Queenstown) and with Chris Sharpe for Sambar in the North Island. Both can outfit for other species too.

@Tundra Tiger you can probably fly out of Alaska to Hawaii and then to NZ and make a pretty nice trip out of it.

I booked through Honolulu when I went, but we needed to schedule 2 separate itineraries to do it since Alaska Air and Air New Zealand don't partner. It created a little hassle when schedule changes happened. I ended up with ANC-SEA-HNL-AKL on the way down and AKL-HNL-ANC on the way back. Had an overnight in Honolulu on the return which gave us a day to spend at Pearl Harbor.
If you can go direct through Hawaii, it is absolutely the way to go.

Another comment on outfitters - the tahr and chamois are on the South Island.

If in Queenstown - Shotover Canyon Swing.

Thanks in advance.
I'm taking my 17 yo daughter in June to Leithen Valley Outifitters for some Red Stag and Fallow Deer. Rachel (outfitter) could do a dad/daughter hunt. I'll let you know how our experience goes.

@Coloradokudu ... Yes please!!!! Keep me posted! And thank you for that! Best of wishes on your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg