recommendation for a family hunt (South Africa)

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Looking at booking my wifes and my second trip to Africa for next year. this time we want to bring out two kids with us (will be 10 and 11) our top priorities will be the kids safety and them having fun and enjoying the great area. Looking for them a few animals as well as an animal or 2 for my wife and I, as well as maybe a day trip to an excursion. What do you suggest to target for the kids? What was the most memorable thing you did as an excursion. Was thinking for them something over a waterhole might be the best thing, but maybe not?

Looking at booking my wifes and my second trip to Africa for next year. this time we want to bring out two kids with us (will be 10 and 11) our top priorities will be the kids safety and them having fun and enjoying the great area. Looking for them a few animals as well as an animal or 2 for my wife and I, as well as maybe a day trip to an excursion. What do you suggest to target for the kids? What was the most memorable thing you did as an excursion. Was thinking for them something over a waterhole might be the best thing, but maybe not?
Good day sir,
I will certainly be able to assist with your trip. Please let me know if I can help you in any way. Please feel free to drop me a PM here on the forum.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hi, please visit our website, www.blaauwkrantz.com , we are ideally suited to hosting a family trip. We are based on our 100 000 acre ranch, just 45 minutes from the Port Elizabeth airport. As you will see on our website, we have many families hunting with us and due to the size of our property, we have plenty of game and our quality is just as good, especially our kudu. Our packages are well priced too.

We have numerous non-hunting activities within 40 minutes from our lodge, the Addo Elephant Park and Schotia Game Reserve for a full day photographic safari, a wild cat sanctuary is 10 minutes from the lodge and you can do shopping for curios and locally made mohair products. We are in a malaria-free area so no shots required.
Email me on info@blaauwkrantz.com and i will gladly put a customized package together for you! Below are a few photos of some of the family groups from this year.

IMG-20220725-WA0040.jpg
IMG-20220618-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20220623-WA0033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just returned from a family safari @Bos en Dal SAFARIS last week. Our daughter (who prior to this trip had never hunted before) had a wonderful time and was extremely well taken care of. She enjoyed being an observer for the first few days and seeing all of the animals in the wild and watching the process of an African hunt vs the deer stand / turkey blind type hunting she has watched/observed prior. We also made sure to do a couple of excursions during the week and put a few non hunting activities on the agenda to keep her interested and excited about being in South Africa. There is a very nice and well maintained predator park just about 30 minutes away where you can pet a cheetah, pet a brown hyena, play with some baby tiger cubs (the last time we were there in 2019 there were baby lions to play with), get in an enclosure with about 50 lemurs and hand feed them, etc.. We were also interested in going into Rustenberg (closest city.. about 45 minutes away) and just letting her see what a "day in the life" of a South African looks like.. we took her by the local high school, took her to a really cool local restaurant for lunch (excellent food at insanely cheap prices!), and saw a few other "city" things.. We also stopped by a local orphanage and toured and made donations to the kids and the facilities.. heartwrenching in many ways.. but also I think really helped expose our daughter to what real poverty and desperation is (there isn't much of that in the US despite what MSNBC wants to tell us).. she made fast friends with a couple of the young girls, and I think the experience touched a charitable place in her heart when she saw how excited these kids were to accept a bible and some simple things like a tooth brush and a hair ribbon as gifts from her... she had no understanding or appreciation prior to the visit that there are people in this world that literally own nothing.. and that something like a $0.50 hair ribbon can mean so much to them.. The orphanage was without a doubt the most memorable excursion of the trip (or any of our 5 South African safaris)..

Hunting at Bos en Dal is exceptional (plenty of hunt reports on AH to reference.. and Ill be posting one from this most recent trip soon).. the lodge is nice and comfortable and suitable for a family.. etc..

Hi there
We would be happy to help
Wecater for families all the time and i love getting kids hunting, its oir passion!!

We also have some excursions we can do

Any ither info u may need feel feee to contact me

Hi @huntinlabs,

I will definitely be able to assist. I've send you a DM.

Sincerely

you should check out Limcroma safaris. My wife, daughter, and I were there in 2021 and was by far the BEST of our three trips to Africa. my wife does not hunt, but makes every step that I do was planning our return before we left. our daughter had the time of her life. there was another father and daughter in camp with us and they were planning a return trip with the whole family as well. Mr. Hannes and his team are second to none. they can plan non-hunting activities as well.

Hi
Hi Sir,

We can definitely help you. The kids will be our main priority and help them to have a successful safari.
Some of our extra excursions are Elephant interaction as well as Hot air balloon ride.
Here is a recent father / daughter hunt report.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-safaris-client-review-father-daughter.70275/
Please don't hesitate to contact me.
safaris@davefreeburn.com

I second the recommendation by @rodney russell for Limcroma Safaris. I took my wife and teenage daughter a few years back, They came highly recommended as a family outfit, and they exceeded our expectations at every level. Everything was first-class and well-planned. We wanted to do a combination of hunting for me and lots of non-hunting activities for the family as a whole. Limcroma has an in-house coordinator that handles all the logistics for the non-hunting excursions and everything was seamless.

For the "cannot miss" non-hunting stuff I can personally recommend the elephant encounter and one of the big cat encounters they offer. We also did a nighttime game drive which was very cool.. They have lots of choices for non-hunting options. Our daughter absolutely loved our PH Jan. He was great with her and they bonded during the week we spent in camp. He really made the trip extra special for all of us. Feel free to PM me with questions about my trip..

@huntinlabs we can definately assist you. We are a comfortable 2hr drive from Johannesburg airport. It is a very safe and malaria free area. Being parents of 5, 11 and 13 year old we know everything about hunting with our younger generation and giving them the best oppertunity on getting them on a animal. We are also fortunate that we have many non hunting activities in our area as @mdwest stated. Things other than what he mentioned is Sun City Valey of the waves, Pilanesberg National park, Elephant sanctuary Craddle of Human kind just to name a few. All of these attractions are within an hour drive from our main hunting area.

Please feel free to contact me via the messaging function or send me an email at gerrit@ehw.co.za or a whatsApp at +27825158307 if you require any additional information

My personal best
Gerrit

Thanks for the post!
Feel free to give me a shout we are a family friendly operation offering fair chase quality safaris on our new base in Limpopo.
The area is a big 5, dangerous 7 area and consist of 75,000 continuous acres.

It has never been hunted as it use to be a photographic reserve. This is sure to be an environment and location ideally suited to your family. With 5 star lodging quality trophies and a plethora of non hunting activities.

I can certainly assist in the decision making process.

My very best always
Jaco Strauss.

Hello huntinlabs we have the perfect family lode for your stay. Getting the kids involved is the best hunt ever in my opinion. East Cape is very safe area. PM me for any info you may need or specifics plenty to do and see here.
Jon 2 2022.jpg

Last edited:
Have hunted with two of the above sponsors for family type safaris. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but have my preference. PM me if you want my 2 cents.

I know there are lots of really good hunting lodges. I have hunted with several and highly recommend Limcroma Safaris. They not only work well with children, but have options of visiting: elephant encounter, cat encounter (lions, cheetahs, etc), visiting an orphanage or school that they sponsor, and going to a game park . I have hunted with them 5 times and am going back in Sept of this year. Next year I am taking my 2 grand boys ( 14 and 16). Lodging, food, PH's etc. are all top notch. They pick you up in Johannesburg and take you back for flights if you want. Also, can rent/borrow guns. Packages can be easily chosen and modified. If you choose them, tell them Marc sent you (I get no commission). Ask for Franco as a PH, although I haven't seen a bad one there yet. PM if you have questions. I work (with wildlife conservation ) and hunt in Africa every year.

You may want to check out my website, www.spearsafaris.com, ontop of some hunting destinations that are perfect for kids, we also have a great area in greater Kruger , just the right side trip
Please let me know if yiu have questions
Cheers Ernest

I highly recommend Bos en Dal Safaris. I have done four trips with Gerrit and his team. They are one big family and you will be treated like family. Very nice lodge and activities close by for the whole family.

I've heard lots of positive reports from the sponsors above, but I'll sound like a broken record: I took my family of 5 to Limcroma Safaris and they said it was the best vacation ever. Karen took my kids on all sorts of excursions while I was hunting. Big cat exhibits, elephants, rhinos in wild, sunset on the Limpopo river. They went the extra mile and would recommend them for any family. My 12 year shot an Impala and Gemsbok. The younger kids sat with me on a water hole just one afternoon, and even though we saw animals, they hated having to be quiet!

I cannot recommend Limcroma enough, we recently returned, and it was nothing but a great experience, the ladies enjoyed the Elephant encounter and a guided game walk, very well-run organization that also arraigned an incredible post safari trip to Victoria Falls. And for sure Franco would be outstanding as your families PH.

Highly recommended you contact KMG Safaris, we had a fantastic family safari with them in 2018, including my daughter successfully stalking her first animal, an Impala. Marius was fantastic ;)

IMG_20180707_093918_1.jpg

I did a father daughter hunt with @DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS in May of 2022. It was the vacation of a lifetime. Hunting was amazing and my daughter’s safety was Dave’s highest priority. If you have questions, please message me.

F2A6BAAC-8811-4459-B7BB-DC099752BE10.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois