Recoil sissy can't shoot, now what

So is the recoil unpleasant or do you just assume the fact that rifle is shooting all over the place is due to recoil? I think a slip on limbsaver is a great idea (I use one on my 500 Jeffery). I would also make sure you have a firm grip on the forend of the rifle when you shoot it from a rest. I had to learn that as well. With my 270 Win I shoot it bench rest style (no hand touching the forend, but on our 375 Weatherby and 500 Jeffery, I've found you need to have a firm grip and some downward pressure on the forend when shooting from the bench. Hope this helps. To give you some perspective when I jumped up from a 243 to a 270 Win a long time ago, I thought about getting the new (back then) 7mm Rem Mag, but didn't because of the recoil. I weighed 185 and benched twice my own weight then. No regrets that 270 belongs to my son and is still a flat out amazing rifle. Now that I'm old, pale and frail. I hunt most things with my 500 Jeffery. Who would've guessed ?

Chuck

Don't loose confidence,I had a similar problem a few years back, I had the Yips so bad I couldn't get any thing to group, so I put my large caliber rifles away and started shooting my 22 and my 223 Varmmit barrel and to start off I still had the yips but it was a mental thing. After a while I started to calm down and my confidence grew, I still get a Yip every once in a while but the improvement is Day Night. You say you shoot your 7x57 good so put your heavy hitter away for a bit and work on your technique and build your confidence YMTC

I would try 4 or 5 different loads, It could be your gun does not like the ammo you are feeding it. I have a Ruger no.1 in 30-06 that is extremely picky with ammo. I have had it shooting 10 to 12 inch groups and switch to a different load and 3 shots will be one ragged hole. The twist may be too fast or slow in the rifling for the load you are trying. I would try a different load and see if you get the same results, then i would explore other factors such as flinch or loose scope bases.

I leave the range if someone is shooting anything larger than .223 with a muzzle brake. even with hearing pro, it is too loud, distracting and their shots cause me to flinch. A waste of my time to be trying to practice and have those yahoo's shooting.

To the original question, my ruger #1 in 300 H&H also vertically strings in a lead sled. It is unreliable, and can not use it with that gun. Same gun, same day, same ammo, same target, sandbags and me, and it is fine. Do not know the reason, but something I learned and have to live with.

Hello there fellow recoil sensitive shooter! The first rifle I ever bought was a 300 Win Mag. I thought for sure I could handle it (I'm 230 and just a hair under 6ft) but let me tell you, after punishing my shoulder about 4-5 times at the range I not only sold the rifle but dropped all the way down to a .223 as my "highest" recoiling rifle. Then I started to work my way up, a gun here, a trade there and now I shoot my 404 Jeffrey with confidence! I tell you this to let you know I hear what you are saying. In addition I have a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H and I ended up loving the round, though I think I would enjoy it more in a different rifle so that's something to work on for me. Anyway, to your question, I really love Limbsavers. I have tried the Pachmayr ones, I've tried various slip on ones, I've really run the gambit but I keep coming back to Limbsaver. Also I might suggest trying to shoot it without the bags for a while, especially if you have a good pair of hunting sticks. I know, I know, zero on the bags then perfect it on the sticks but I find that as long as I am on-paper and can make corrections firing it like I would use it helps me zero the rifle just right for me. Doing it this way also helps take out some of the punishment the sand bags will give you and make the rifle much more pleasurable to shoot. Anyway I hope you get this worked out, the 300 H&H is a beauty of a round and I hope that, someday, it will gain enough popularity to be on regular store shelves!

Another thought, are you firing consistent ammo? If your using up odds and ends with different speed and weight, or have low quality inconsistent powder, you will get different elevations.

With my 505, zeroed for 525 grains at 2300 fps, I get 14" high hits at 100 yards by firing 600 grain loads at 2100 fps... I asked @matt85 about this and he suggested that the slower/heavier bullet leaves the barrel slower as to allow time for more barrel rise before the bullet exits. Difficult to fathom but the proof is in the pudding.
Action Bob
I'm not saying mat85 is wrong but I always thought recoil only happens after the bullet leaves the barrel and is a combination of bullet weight, powder charge and rifle weight. A lot of the reciol is from the jet effects of the propellant gasses and bullet exiting the barrel. I think it has more ro do with barrel harmonics.
Just my 2cents worth
Bob Nelson

There are symptoms of results as far as what is causing the repeatability problem, but the best thing that I have found when shooting to stop flinch, buck, etc is to concentrate on trying to see the bullet leave the muzzle and travel to the target. It isn't actually possible, but the result of trying is that it keeps your mind occupied so the problems are avoided. Try it and see what you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!