Begger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, DU, QU, SCI
Hunted
US, Limpopo RSA.
There are several types of recoil reducing devices for reducing felt recoil. While you can’t change Newton’s Third Law of Gravity, supposedly you can help accommodate it. Some use springs, others use mercury. What are some types of recoil arrestors you have used, and how effective were they? Did they reduce felt recoil? Did they help speed up a second shot. Are they worth their weight to carry?

Just for the record, asking about internal recoil dampeners, not muzzle brakes.

Thanks in advance.

There are several types of recoil reducing devices for reducing felt recoil. While you can’t change Newton’s Third Law of Gravity, supposedly you can help accommodate it. Some use springs, others use mercury. What are some types of recoil arrestors you have used, and how effective were they? Did they reduce felt recoil? Did they help speed up a second shot. Are they worth their weight to carry?

Just for the record, asking about internal recoil dampeners, not muzzle brakes.

Thanks in advance.
A better butt pad helps a lot for feel and if you want to really reduce it it’s hard to beat a suppressor though

I'm interested as well, and also don't want to hear about muzzle brakes. But is it ok (@Begger ) if people share their thoughts about different recoil pads, etc. as well?

Absolutely! I’m a Pachmayr Decelerator fan myself. Having a red Olde English pad installed on Model 70 404 Jeffery I’m having done. The Limbsavers are good pads as well, just feels a little too sticky for my tastes.

I have a genuine Blaser kickstop recoil reducer in my Blaser 500 Jeffery, the Blaser kickstop is a stainless steel cylinder filled with tungsten beads and weighs 600 grams, Blaser claims it reduces recoil by "about 20%" to be honest I can't imagine shooting my 500 without one of these recoil reducers fitted even if it is just for the extra weight. Having the extra weight in the butt actually doesn't make it butt heavy either as the safari barrels on the Blasers are extremely heavy, but this is definitely something you want to be aware of on rifles with a lighter profile barrel you can make them butt heavy and it really throws out the balance and feels weird.
So far my experience with recoil reducers is (y)

I have a genuine Blaser kickstop recoil reducer in my Blaser 500 Jeffery, the Blaser kickstop is a stainless steel cylinder filled with tungsten beads and weighs 600 grams, Blaser claims it reduces recoil by "about 20%" to be honest I can't imagine shooting my 500 without one of these recoil reducers fitted even if it is just for the extra weight. Having the extra weight in the butt actually doesn't make it butt heavy either as the safari barrels on the Blasers are extremely heavy, but this is definitely something you want to be aware of on rifles with a lighter profile barrel you can make them butt heavy and it really throws out the balance and feels weird.
So far my experience with recoil reducers is (y)
Sorry I got the weight wrong on this, I believe mine has a 16oz reducer in it which is actually around 450grams

I have 1 inch Decelerators on my rifles. Works good even with heavy Barnes 350 gr TSX loads in 375HH. I do use a Past Recoil Shield for range work with heavier loads an all my guns. I don't want to get a flinch.

I just bought a bunch of random stuff, including a Pachmayr pad. I've never looked into them much. Do they have several different models? Or are all Pachmayr brand pretty much the same as far as recoil absorbtion?

I got the 16 Oz Blaser recoil reducer for my son’s R8. It adds weight, but not enough to make a detrimental difference. I personally like the extra weight as the rifle feels more steady. I think 20% is probably an accurate reduction estimate.

My R8 is the “ultimate” stock which has a recoil reduction system made of 4 cylinders of compressible material. It adds about 2 Oz of weight to the rifle and basically functions like a second recoil pad (in addition to the butt pad). I would estimate it takes around 20% of the felt recoil out of the rifle. At a little over 9 lbs for a .375H&H, it is not bad to shoot.

For certain stock fit is important and the rifle fits well. I also believe that the pistol grip style stock makes a difference.

@Philip Glass has some experience with mercury recoil reducers, he should chime in.

I have used 2 kinds of recoil reducers...liquid mercury and the Blaser kickstop.

I had 16oz KICK-EEZ recoil reducers in my CZ550 375H&H in the butt section.
The stock was synthetic, so I bedded the tube in the butt with Bondo and sanded it flush.
For a little guy like me (160# & 70") it made a big difference.
Balance of the rifle was right at the magazine with weight around 11#.
I've took 9 head of PG with this rifle before selling it to an AH member.

I put a 12oz KICK-EEZ in my wife's Savage Lady Hunter in 270WIN.
I drilled the butt of the stock with a 3/4" Forstner bit and topped it with Bondo.
Balance again was right at the back of the magazine and weighed about 7#.
My wife very much appreciated having it.
She dropped a Kudu (DRT) with a high neck shot at 100 yards.
Accomplished with the confidence built by having the reducer.
This rifle was also sold to an AH member for his daughter.

We now both have Blaser R8's, each with Blaser 16oz kickstops.
These are tungsten steel beads in a stainless steel cylinder.
The cylinder is screwed in place in the butt section of the rifle.
For me...it makes shooting the 416RM possible, not sure I could manage without it.
Wife is shooting a 375H&H now and doing quite well because of the added weight.
We have safari weight (22mm) barrels and both rifles balance at the magazine.
If the barrels were semi-weight (19mm) or standard (17mm), it would be very different.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
If you need the weight to shoot the rifle, you gotta carry the weight.
Our rifles are not for Sheep/Goat hunting, but we can carry them all day.
I also made pipes filled with sand to duplicate the weight for training.
For us...the juice is worth the squeeze.
YMMV

Other factors...
Rifle fit, stock shape/design, stock material and butt pads.
I believe all of these go together to make a proper fitting rifle.
Having a rifle fit properly will make the rifle "feel" like it has less recoil.
This is what I consider the most important for shooting calibers at or above 375.

Last edited:
I got the 16 Oz Blaser recoil reducer for my son’s R8. It adds weight, but not enough to make a detrimental difference. I personally like the extra weight as the rifle feels more steady. I think 20% is probably an accurate reduction estimate.

My R8 is the “ultimate” stock which has a recoil reduction system made of 4 cylinders of compressible material. It adds about 2 Oz of weight to the rifle and basically functions like a second recoil pad (in addition to the butt pad). I would estimate it takes around 20% of the felt recoil out of the rifle. At a little over 9 lbs for a .375H&H, it is not bad to shoot.

For certain stock fit is important and the rifle fits well. I also believe that the pistol grip style stock makes a difference.

@Philip Glass has some experience with mercury recoil reducers, he should chime in.
So you have the Ultimate stock with the Blaser Kickstop as well? I am curious how well that works.
I have not used mercury reducers but mostly the Edward’s Recoil reducer which does not add weight. I also have two R8’s with the Blaser Kickstop, which is basically a pound of tungsten beads. I am wanting Kevin at Edward’s to engineer an Edward’s reducer that will thread into the Blaser to replace their kickstop. The Edward’s is lightweight aluminum so I am not sure how to weld or glue an additional piece with female threads to attach to the R8. Of course whatever the design it would have to stand up to heavy recoil and not come apart hence the reason I’ve not tried to come up with something myself.
Regards,
Philip

@Philip Glass my sons R8 professional has the Kickstop, my Ultimate has only the 4 “rubber” cylinder recoil device. I am not aware if it is possible to do both the kickstop and the ultimate recoildevices on the same stock. The gun is light enough that I would add a 12 or 16 Oz recoil reducer.

please do tell us if you learn of a design from Edwards.

Another question/thought: we discuss stock design and fit as important in perceived recoil. I wonder how the actual texture of the stock impacts perceived recoil. The Ultimate stock comb has a slightly rubberized material on the comb. It makes for a comfortable cheek weld. I also wonder if the added friction of that material both helps my head to stay in place and also acts to impart some of the recoil into my face. My shooting experience with the rifle leads me to believe it does both. Conversely, A highly polished/smoothed stock would just slide backwards.

I fined that shooting at your quarry is the best recoil reducer. It is amazing to me how when I shoot at game I don't feel the recoil or even notice the retort from the rifle.

That’s true. But there better be a lot of shooting practice before going after any quarry. What about that shooting?

That’s true. But there better be a lot of shooting practice before going after any quarry. What about that shooting?
Oh yeah there was lots of range days on the sand bags, then the lead-sled when I got older. Plus the youthful years of rabbit and squirrel hunting with an old Ace 22lr single shot.

I just bought a bunch of random stuff, including a Pachmayr pad. I've never looked into them much. Do they have several different models? Or are all Pachmayr brand pretty much the same as far as recoil absorbtion?

Pachmayr has several variations of pads the Decelerator being the softest of the bunch.

Pachmayr has several variations of pads the Decelerator being the softest of the bunch.
Easy to tell which one I have?

About how much of the felt recoil can be tamed by a shoulder pad would you say? It the idea to have a thick cushion, or spread the force via a hard pad over more area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross