Recoil and Eye Damage

A few years ago in my 40's I was diagnosed with "early onset cataracts". Ended up having lens transplants in both eyes. See great now. Dr. asked if I had suffered any head/neck trauma when trying to determine a potential cause. I never even considered rifle recoil.

@BJONES
Years ago I was shooting trap weekly with my SXS 10 gauge shotgun (52 shells) plus the 4 rounds of trap with a 12 gauge). I used a rowing machine at a spa and my right shoulder started hurting. Eventually I went to a sports Dr to have it checked. The Dr asked if I had any trauma to the shoulder and I could only think that it was related to the rowing machine.
YEARS later I happened to remember all the 10gauge rounds fired and realized that would be considered trauma by the doctor. I laughed when I thought about that.
Well, Dr I wrestle bears for a living but that is just my job. :) (A joke)

All the years of shooting I never once considered retina issues tied to recoil.

Like michael458 I developed Macular Degeneration at 64, that December I had a detached Retina. The doctor that did the surgery is one of the best in Alberta, when I asked about shooting he said don’t worry about it after you heal. I’ve switched from right side to left side and shoot my 470 and 416 Rigby with no problem at all.
I’ve currently got eye issues in Alberta as well. Which doctor do you speak of? Just had a new lens put in my left eye by Dr. Greve. This eye also has a buggered cornea as well. Eventually Dr. Kurji will do a partial cornea transplant. These guys are both in Edmonton. Thankfully that’s not my shooting eye and if it’s not completely successful I can still get by with my right eye…for now.

Greetings and Salutations.
I have just encountered a situation where internal damage to my eyes has cast a negative outlook on shoulder fired firearms.
This comes to light as I shoot a 500 NE that is under the preferred weight and a wildcat 375. In years past I shot a lot of SXS 10 gauge rounds.
I was told that the part of my eye(s) that started the problem comes from age. They all ask if I suffered any head trauma. Is a 10gauge shotgun recoil considered trauma? will 80-100 ft lbs in a 500 NE DR might be.
The question I pose is whether other shooters of DG calibers 375 up to 700 NE and 4 to 8 bore BP rifles have had issues with their eye related to recoil.
Thank you in advance for any experience information.
Sabattiboy
It is not unknown for avid trap shooters to develop detached retinal problems over time. Jim Carmichael pushed the development of the 260 Rem to reduce recoil from the 308/7mm-08 for his silhouette competition. This was to avoid retina problems.

I’ve currently got eye issues in Alberta as well. Which doctor do you speak of? Just had a new lens put in my left eye by Dr. Greve. This eye also has a buggered cornea as well. Eventually Dr. Kurji will do a partial cornea transplant. These guys are both in Edmonton. Thankfully that’s not my shooting eye and if it’s not completely successful I can still get by with my right eye…for now.

Dr Baker at the Alberta Retina Clinic, they reattached the retina changed a lens and cleaned up old scar tissue, my right eye is not perfect but on a good day I can shoot out to 200 yards with it. I’m shooting out to 400 with my left eye.

As Toby mentioned, I suffered from a torn retina…lots of sparkles and flashes. The Dr said it was no big deal as long as I got to him within 24 hours to have it lasiked back together. Wouldn’t have a chance if it happened while in Africa, so I got a 375 H&H with a break. While in the US, I have been shooting it without a break since I can get to the Dr within the time limit. The potential of going blind for ever just makes me nervous while in Africa.

You mean Alberta Retinol Consultants. Same group of doctors where Greve and Baker do their thing. This chat has me a little worried now of recoil eye injuries. I own 3 .375’s and will own no bigger but I should be going to SA next year on a SCI auction hunt with Boschnel Safaris for crocodile. Will also hunt a buff and whatever plains game I choose. Planned on taking just one rifle this time to simplify and lighten the load. If I get a new partial cornea within the next 6 weeks I think I’ll ask if I can hunt deer locally with my .223. The 2 provinces beside us permit it so I wonder if I can get some sort of approval ???

You mean Alberta Retinol Consultants. Same group of doctors where Greve and Baker do their thing. This chat has me a little worried now of recoil eye injuries. I own 3 .375’s and will own no bigger but I should be going to SA next year on a SCI auction hunt with Boschnel Safaris for crocodile. Will also hunt a buff and whatever plains game I choose. Planned on taking just one rifle this time to simplify and lighten the load. If I get a new partial cornea within the next 6 weeks I think I’ll ask if I can hunt deer locally with my .223. The 2 provinces beside us permit it so I wonder if I can get some sort of approval ???

If I remember right with the retina I had a choice of oil or air in my eye. If you get the oil they still have to put air in when they take the oil out. As I had a bunch of flights booked I chose the oil, and when I had down time they switched it out. Took 4-6 weeks for the air to finally leave. You can’t fly during that time, or drive fast up a steep and high hill. Time your schedule according to what you need to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,