Recoil: 404 Jeffery vs. 375 H&H and 416 Rigby

Whichever caliber he chooses, make sure the stock fits properly.
Having a properly fitted stock will reduce felt recoil.
If the stock of your 404J fits well, use that as a starting point.

Yikes! I had a little bruising and lots of soreness, nothing like that though. Bought the super magnum shoulder pad and hardly feel a thing now off a bench, but it does mess with the LOP

Increasing LOP wouldn't be a bad thing - I really need about 16" anyway.

Increasing LOP wouldn't be a bad thing - I really need about 16" anyway.
You sound like my wife. :unsure:
Except her interpretation of LOP is not exactly the same as yours...o_O

I have all three. I have a pre 64 model 70 in 375 H&h, a CZ 550 in 404 Jeff, and a Rugar in 416 Rigby. Based on shooting all three the 404 fits in between the 375 and the 416. It is a little closer to the 416 than it is to the 375. anyone who can comfortably shoot a 30-06 should be able to comfortably shoot a 375. The 404 is a step up and the 416 a small step up from there. The 404 was loaded to it's traditional 400 gr bullet traveling at 2150 fps.
I agree with you.

I shoot a Brno 602 375 H&H 300gr bullets and a CZ 550 416 Rigby 400 grain bullets and I can't complain about the recoil on either, the 416 is a bit more noticeable but really only a push, not a kick.

One related question:
What is average weight of rifle in following calibers:

- 375 H&H
- 404 Jeffery
- 416 Rigby

Is there any difference in rifle weight per caliber?

Last edited:
Trying to compare different calibers in different rifles is pointless. In general all we can say is smaller calibers usually have less felt recoil than larger calibers. Beyond that the specifics of each rifle will matter as much as caliber alone. Case in point, I have a Ruger RSM and a CZ550 both chambered in 375H&H. Minor differences in stock design, stock material and weight make the RSM slightly more pleasant to shoot even though they're the same caliber/configuration. The recoil between an M70 404J vs a CZ550 416Rigby isn't an apples to apples comparison either. About all we can say is they'll be different. YMMV.

Assuming same rifle models, how does the recoil on the 404 Jeffery compare with the 375 H&H and 416 Rigby.

I already have a 404 Jeffery, and really like it. A friend of mine is looking to buy his first big bore rifle, either a 375 or 416. He has shot my 404 Jeffery, and handles it well.

Thanks!!
I found the .404j not unpleasant to fire (standing up that is) more of a shove compared to the whack of a 30-06 or 7mm magnum. Rifle weight and bullet loads have a lot say in that!. By the way, are Northfork Industries up and running again?. Also, what other bullet manufacturers besides Woodleigh make a 450gr Soft for reloading ? thanks

About all we can say is that the .404 will never die. Five hundred years from now, some goofball will pick one up and set it off and swear it's the .243 of DG rifles and that were getting something for nothing and it will be suddenly reborn again, like this thread.
Wow, this thread is from 2009! Forrest, you don’t have a .404 yet? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Wow, this thread is from 2009! Forrest, you don’t have a .404 yet? Ha! Ha! Ha!
Since there were problems with the #1 in chambering and the bullets are odd sized with no carryover, NOPE! Haha!

I'm still slumming it with the .458 Lott. Or when I'm feeling normal a .375 H&H.

Since there were problems with the #1 in chambering and the bullets are odd sized with no carryover, NOPE! Haha!

I'm still slumming it with the .458 Lott. Or when I'm feeling normal a .375 H&H.
Forrest,
I didn't know that about the #1 and chambering issues with the .404? Well, keep the Lott humming along!
Take care and stay warm!
CEH

I much preferred my 404 but that was 99% nostalgia, if one cannot handle the recoil of a 9.3x62, 375 , 416 or 450-400 double rifle, then he needs to hunt Plains game..

Recoil has yet to kill anyone I know of..practice and more practice is the answer to the recoil problem..If you don't shoot for two or three months, then you will have to start all over to get back in recoil shape..and thats your responsibility for the sake of your PH and camp staff..

I have shot both a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and a .416 Remington Magnum . I have personally found neither to be significantly different in recoil from one another ( although the .416 Remington Magnum naturally does recoil slightly more , but not uncomfortably so ) . I believe that rifle weight , balance and stock fit are important factor in determining felt recoil .

404 Jeff has a lot less recoil than a 416 Rigby on the same platform. Comparing either to 375 H&H is not a fair comparison....

One related question:
What is average weight of rifle in following calibers:

- 375 H&H
- 404 Jeffery
- 416 Rigby

Is there any difference in rifle weight per caliber?

Well, I have a custom BRNO 602 in .375 H&H, and an AHR custom .404 Jeff that was built on a CZ 550 Magnum action.

CZ's 550 action is just an updated BRNO 602 action.

They're set up similarly too, with both running the same slings and pretty much the same size and weight 1" scopes in similar Q.D. mounts.

I'll have to weigh them later on and get back to you.

Last edited:
404 Jeff has a lot less recoil than a 416 Rigby on the same platform.

True, but only if the .404 ammo, with a 400grn bullet, is properly loaded to its original specs, i.e., 2125-2150fps (depending on which of the early sources you're consulting).

Shooting Hornady's .404 ammo skews the comparison because they chose to 'hot rod' the cartridge 200-250fps beyond Jeffrey's original loading specs.

photo.JPG

I do not use hornady if loaded to same specs 404 will still recoil less

I do not use hornady if loaded to same specs 404 will still recoil less

In fact, if loaded to its original velocity, Jeffrey's .404 imparts the least felt-recoil of any of the .400-class of DGR cartridges.

Having shot two .458 WMs, one .416 Rigby, and one 460 Weatherby (exactly one shot was enough), pretty much steered me toward a .404 rifle.

photo.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg