Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their favorite recipes for game meat? I'll start:

I just made a fried bear meat stew from the 150lb black bear I got in September. it was delicious.

Trim as much fat and silverskin off the meat as you can
Marinade meat with onion powder, garlic powder, Turmeric, salt pepper and italiant dressing overnight
cook it in a crockpot for 6 hours with beans, potatoes, carrots, Bay leaves, onions and mushrooms in a beef broth.
once it is cooked, you can eat it as stew or....
strain out as much liquid as you can and fry it up in a frying pan until it is nicely browned. (really needs to be strained well.) salt it a bit and top with a grated chedder or parmesian cheese.
Serve with crescent rolls or dinner rolls

Super good and Atkin's would approve!

I have a good one I just made for backstrap

Blackberry venison

Salt and pepper the backstrap with coarse salt. I use the pink salt, and if you haven't used it I highly recommend it.

Marinade the backstrap for at least 6 hours in a quarter cup dry red wine and 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard.

Remove and place on skillet for 3-4 minutes on each side at medium-high heat (should be rare but will continue to cook slightly during the next step)

Take off skillet and cover loosely with aluminum foil. This is where it will continue to cook slightly and will give it time to cool and prevent all the juices from running out when you cut into it.

Pour two cups (1 can) of chicken broth into the same skillet and scrape the bits of left over meat with a wooden spoon. Keep it on medium-high heat until it reduces to around half.

Once it reduces, put in 3 tablespoons of blackberry jam. You want to keep stirring and let it reduce and thicken until when you scrape the bottom of the skillet, it doesn't come back together for 2 seconds

Next step is to cut up the backstrap into 1 inch thick medallions and pour the sauce over and enjoy.

Uncle wills vension sauce

1 lemon
1 cup woostershire
1/2 cup soy
3/4 stick of butter (paula dean style)
1 bear head of honey
2 tbs yellow mustard

Sear meat slice and throw into sauce for five minutes and serve

Venison ribs
Cut ribs into portion size
put ribs in a slow cooker with coke or ginger ale , I prefer ginger ale and cook on high for 6 hours . Finish on the BBQ with your favorite sauce .
The guys at deer camp really prefer this over trying to cut the little bit of meat out for burger .
Glen

Jalapeño sausage balls

1lb ground wild hog
1lb ground dall sheep
2 cups flour
2 cups grated jalapeño jack cheese
4x finely chopped jalapeños (add more to taste)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper

Mix all of the above evenly

Coat pan(s) with thin film of olive oil

Roll out ball shaped portions approximately 1/2 the size of a ping pong ball...

Spritz a bit of olive oil on top of the sausage balls

Throw in a 375 degree oven for approximately 35 minutes..

Good Stuff! Bow season and Muzzleloader open here in the Adirondacks soon so I am hoping to get a deer and then I am going to try some of these out! @mdwest That sounds great! I wish I had a source for Dall sheep! I have access to some mutton and obviously pork but I feel like it just won't be the same as the "organic, grass fed" wild variety (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg