Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
One of the true benefits of hunting is the incredibly fresh and healthy meat we get to enjoy. However, I found wild game to have a completely different taste to farmed animals. A different taste can also be interpreted as a bad taste if you were not raised on it. As a result, part of my hunting interest is in the preparation of the meat as cuisine (Something more than thinly sliced and breaded!) In my quest I have had some success but I am hampered somewhat by my general failings as a cook. So, I wanted to start a thread where we could share ideas. Some of the issues are how to best prepare the meat to remove unpleasant tastes, marinades, cooking techniques, favourite recipes etc.

I also wanted to share resources. I like the following website because this fellow, Hank Shaw, is an avid hunter and has great recipes too.

http://honest-food.net/

Good hunting and good eating folks!

Thanks for that useful resource Pheroze.

Here is a great website for recipes: http://allrecipes.com.

We are using up the goose we shot this fall. We basically made steak poivre substituting the goose for the steak. We brine our goose because the breast tends to have a strong iron taste.

The brine is an equal mix of salt and brown sugar in water. We brined overnight. The other trick was to butterfly the breast as they are actually very substantial. In the end this was heralded as the best goose recipe this season! (beating out last year's goose Burgers) (y):A Big Thanx:

Next experiment is goose jerky. Got a recipie and I will report on it soon.

............... We brine our goose because the breast tends to have a strong iron taste. ............

I suggest you pick the steel shot out first. It helps. ;)

kabobs,marinated in italian salad dressing. any wild game.done on a Weber with hickory wood chips and charcoal.

I love cooking almost as much as I do hunting. I'm away from home for work for the next few weeks, but when I get home I will post some stuff.

sea salt, fresh pepper cooked to medium rare works for every type of venison
Also anything wrapped in bacon works lol

The biggest enemy to poor tasting wild game is how it is treated after the shot and before the frying pan. Have had venison from someone else that i had to throw out, couldn't eat it, no way no how and i have eaten more than my fair share.

One thing for known tough cuts is canning, breaks everything down and comes out tender and flakes into pieces (turkey legs, duck, goose for example)

Goose or duck fajitas
Take duck/goose breast and lightly tenderize.
In a large bowl place breasts
Put a heaping spoon full of minced garlic
Dust with onion powder
Cheyenne pepper
Crushed red pepper
sea salt
Cumin
Cilantro
Garlic powder
Once this is done fill bowl with any beer to where it completely submerges the breasts.
Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for about 4 hours.
Once finished marinating make a wood fire in the grill, I use mesquite but any common cooking wood will do.
Lightly and I mean lightly grill the breasts to at most medium rare.
Once breasts are finished let rest for 5 or so minutes before cutting into fajita strips.
Serve with tortillas, black beans, pico, cheese, sautéed bell peppers, jalapeños, and onions

To make your own pico finely chop raw white onion, tomatoes, and jalapeño add a little garlic pounder salt and pepper, a smudge of beer and some lime juice.
Make sure you warm the tortillas up before serving.
Serve a little Mexican rice and margaritas and viola!

I could tell ya'll my home made Rita recipe but then I would have to kill all of you.

Aw
Goose or duck fajitas
Take duck/goose breast and lightly tenderize.
In a large bowl place breasts
Put a heaping spoon full of minced garlic
Dust with onion powder
Cheyenne pepper
Crushed red pepper
sea salt
Cumin
Cilantro
Garlic powder
Once this is done fill bowl with any beer to where it completely submerges the breasts.
Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for about 4 hours.
Once finished marinating make a wood fire in the grill, I use mesquite but any common cooking wood will do.
Lightly and I mean lightly grill the breasts to at most medium rare.
Once breasts are finished let rest for 5 or so minutes before cutting into fajita strips.
Serve with tortillas, black beans, pico, cheese, sautéed bell peppers, jalapeños, and onions

To make your own pico finely chop raw white onion, tomatoes, and jalapeño add a little garlic pounder salt and pepper, a smudge of beer and some lime juice.
Make sure you warm the tortillas up before serving.
Serve a little Mexican rice and margaritas and viola!

I could tell ya'll my home made Rita recipe but then I would have to kill all of you.

awesome. Found myself drooling! Do you brine you goose breasts prior to this marinade or does it draw out the excess blood?

Aw

awesome. Found myself drooling! Do you brine you goose breasts prior to this marinade or does it draw out the excess blood?
The marinade works as a brine.

Duck breast appetizer cut the breasts in app sized pieces put in a zip lock bag with sweet baby rays bbq sauce garlic powder and Italian seasoning marinade over night wrap each one one a tried of apiece of bacon grill till bacon is done .

Venison stroganoff in a Dutch oven sauté onions and garlic in a little oil brown venison strips add mush rooms cream of mushroom soup some sour cream and a little beef base maybe some wine if it's not thin enough cover cook in oven at 300 f for 3 to 4 hours serve over noodles

First step, buy a crock pot with 2 temps (Low and High). Put cleaned game roast in with hot peppers and bbq sauce. Turn on Low. Leave in pot for 10 hours. Get onion role or bun. Eat. The end...

Gordon Ramsay has a tv show called "The F Word" and one of the recurring segments is him hunting in different parts of the world and then cooking the game usually right in the field. It is absolutely incredible what he is able to do with a Canadian goose and what he brought in his backpack.

Most wild game in my opinion should be cooked either in a slow cooker or on the bbq . Non Gamers usually look at game meat as being similar to a piece of beef . WRONG ! I usually recommend half the cooking time . One of my faves is doing a whole goose breast coated with Montreal smoke spice after it's been cooked on the BBQ for about 5 mins ....slice into medallions or small steaks depending on which direction you opt to slice . Don't worry about how pink it is inside , just touch it back on the grill for a second or two and watch it change color . Grab a class of Merlot and enjoy !
Glen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross