Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I’m looking at airline options for my trip to SA next season. A travel agent recommended Qatar over Emirates due to Emirates having a spotty reputation for canceling flights, even after COVID has settled down most places. I‘d appreciate hearing from those that have flown Emirates recently if they had any problems.

Much appreciated!

I've had no issues using them 10+ times. Their Dubai to Lusaka/Harare flight is very consistent. I've only flown them to Jo'Burg twice and both times that was fine too.

I flew Emirates a few years back…. The coach situation stateside was a zoo. 100+ rushing & faking handicap to get to seat first. Many wanting to sleep anywhere…. Lay down on floor. They didn’t have it. I feel bad for flight attendants. All & all it was a good experience. They handle guns exceptionally well.

I have not flown Emirates in a couple of years. I have flown coach and business. Coach from DFW was a zoo. Almost exclusively Indians, and Indian food in coach. Business on the other hand was the the best. What I have noticed business fare on Emirates are outrageous in business if you want a carry on and competitive without a carry on. I really don’t get that considering the overheads in business are fairly empty. Frankly, I have a lot of miles on Emirates, and not sure what I am going to do with them, now that Qatar gives Avios. Unless Emirates gets more competitive with Qatar, I would take Qatar.

I will also say, guns on Emirates are easy, everything is on line on the Emirates website.

They handle guns exceptionally well.

This is absolutely true. Emirates has the most streamlined gun permit process I’ve found for Americans. You do not need to hire someone to help you with your Stateside stuff at all.

1.) Book your flight
2.) Have all your booking info in your hand
3.) Have your 4457 form scanned, and your invitation letter
4.) Count and weigh your ammo, get your gun serial numbers handy
5.) Log into their website, request permission to fly with guns, input facts 2-4 above, you get an auto response they’ll get back to you in 1-2 weeks. (But in actuality Dubai police deal with it in 48 hours and Emirates security sends you an authorization email quickly)

This is absolutely true. Emirates has the most streamlined gun permit process I’ve found for Americans. You do not need to hire someone to help you with your Stateside stuff at all.

1.) Book your flight
2.) Have all your booking info in your hand
3.) Have your 4457 form scanned, and your invitation letter
4.) Count and weigh your ammo, get your gun serial numbers handy
5.) Log into their website, request permission to fly with guns, input facts 2-4 above, you get an auto response they’ll get back to you in 1-2 weeks. (But in actuality Dubai police deal with it in 48 hours and Emirates security sends you an authorization email quickly)
Could not agree more.

I have used Emirates business DFW to JNB with firearms continuing on another airline a couple of times Service has been excellent but if did have a firearm problem on my last trip. The trip was DFW to JNB with a short layover befofe continuing to Tete. Due to the short layover I specfically asked the travel agent and an Emirtes officialat the DSC convention if my baggage, including firearm; would be checked through to Tete before I purchased the ticket. I was assured by both that it would not be a problem.

When I arrived at DFW for departure I was informed by the Emirates station manager that my rifle could only be checked to JNB and that I would need to reclaim the rifle throgh Firearms Control at JNB and recheck it ot Tete. I reached my outfitter and he had Henry wainting for me upon my arrival at JNB. With Henry's assistance I reclaimed my rifle and made my continuing flight. There were two other items I found interesting"

1. On the flight to Dubia I was listening to a Emirates presentation on the airline and was surprized by the Emirates presidents statemenst on his personal anit-hunting positions, insulting remarks about hunters, and the corporate policly of supporting anti-hunting organizaions. I wondered if the DFW issue was an example of harrasing hunters.

2. On the way back from Tete my luggage, including my rifle; was checked all the way to DFW even though I spent the night in Jburg. So much for a firearm could not be chedked through.

I hate to give up on Emirates as their service and fares are excellent but I also do not with to support an anti-hunting enterprise.

Really just parroting whats already been said...

Both are great airlines.. Ive flown more on Emirates over the past 15+ years than I have Qatar.. but over the last 3 years Qatar has definitely been my preference..

Qatar makes firearms a bit of a PIA.. but if you have a travel agent, they will handle that for you.. and if you don't, there are plenty of people here on AH that can help you through the process (I've managed it twice at this point.. its really not a big deal.. just a pain at times)...

Out of DFW both airlines are going to have a significant number of Indians, Pakistanis, and middle easterners on the flights in coach.. Not really a big deal.. but by the time you land in Doha or Dubai the toilets will be a disaster zone, the aisles will be filled with trash, etc.. The trip we made on Qatar to Joberg back in July, it was frankly disgraceful how bad the plane looked by the time we touched down in Doha.. but honestly, who cares? I felt sorry for the guy that had to clean the bird after we got off.. It looked like 200 pre-pubescent teens had been watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show for 14 hours straight in the economy section.. but I spent the entire flight either sleeping or watching a couple of movies.. so it had zero impact on me personally (other than making sure I put my shoes back on before going to the toilet.. I had no desire to stand in 25 peoples piss that was all over the floors)...

To their credit, seats are more comfortable and more spacious than American and United options (both Qatar and Emirates)..

For me, ALL air travel sucks these days.. the concept of customer service seems to have left the industry entirely.. prices have gotten crazy (as with most things on the planet it would seem).. etc

But.. For me.. when traveling internationally, I almost exclusively avoid US carriers whenever I can (I say that.. but I'll be on American to Dublin in a month.. and then on American to Buenos Aires in 2 months)... If I am flying west I try to find flights on Cathay Pacific, ANA, Korean, or just about anyone else I can find other than American, Delta, or United.. When flying to Europe I do my best to catch Lufty, Air France, BA (although I think they all suck as well).. and when flying to Africa I do my best to go Qatar as a priority, Emirates is my second choice, and then literally will take the Ethiopian or Kenyan option before I fly with a US carrier anymore..

Thats a pretty sad statement when I'd rather fly Kenya Airways than I would United.. But.. it is unfortunately true (I cant tell you how many times I have flown from DC to Nairobi on Kenya.. and then caught a regional flight to get to my final destination... rather than having to get on a United/Delta/American bird...

I have used Emirates business DFW to JNB with firearms continuing on another airline a couple of times Service has been excellent but if did have a firearm problem on my last trip. The trip was DFW to JNB with a short layover befofe continuing to Tete. Due to the short layover I specfically asked the travel agent and an Emirtes officialat the DSC convention if my baggage, including firearm; would be checked through to Tete before I purchased the ticket. I was assured by both that it would not be a problem.

When I arrived at DFW for departure I was informed by the Emirates station manager that my rifle could only be checked to JNB and that I would need to reclaim the rifle throgh Firearms Control at JNB and recheck it ot Tete. I reached my outfitter and he had Henry wainting for me upon my arrival at JNB. With Henry's assistance I reclaimed my rifle and made my continuing flight. There were two other items I found interesting"

1. On the flight to Dubia I was listening to a Emirates presentation on the airline and was surprized by the Emirates presidents statemenst on his personal anit-hunting positions, insulting remarks about hunters, and the corporate policly of supporting anti-hunting organizaions. I wondered if the DFW issue was an example of harrasing hunters.

2. On the way back from Tete my luggage, including my rifle; was checked all the way to DFW even though I spent the night in Jburg. So much for a firearm could not be chedked through.

I hate to give up on Emirates as their service and fares are excellent but I also do not with to support an anti-hunting enterprise.
Ditto.... However, I am not sure any airline is Pro-Hunter, especially publicly.

I flew them to SA in April, was Business class so service/food/comfort was spot on.

Rifle process was easy as noted above. Even in SFO the staff was more than helpful with firearms. I really liked that they confirmed with me that my rifles were onboard when I boarded.

Lounge in Dubai was great, even thought I was there for 9 hours.

I would do it again if I were business class. I would never take that route with the long layover on Emirates in coach over a one stop on Delta/United, it was something like 35 hours door-to-door for me.

@mdwest Man, you hit the nail on the head. After eight hours of QATAR Joburg to Doha, the economy section looked like it would need six inch hose industrial vacuum cleaners to clean up that mess. Exiting the aircraft from the emergency exit row, you couldn't set your foot down in the aisles without stepping on trash.

@mdwest Man, you hit the nail on the head. After eight hours of QATAR Joburg to Doha, the economy section looked like it would need six inch hose industrial vacuum cleaners to clean up that mess. Exiting the aircraft from the emergency exit row, you couldn't set your foot down in the aisles without stepping on trash.
Crazy I'm always in biz so I miss out on it all.

Crazy I'm always in biz so I miss out on it all.
Just go for the Saturday night triple feature at the Bijou and stay until the end, wait for the lights to come on, same experience.
e-laugh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!